Hue

reed

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is great news for that area. That has to be one of the most hideous surface lots (as if any of them are beautiful) in the city. That one little building there looks so out of place.

I think 7 stories might be a little short, but whatever the market can handle is fine with me. That area will become a nice little residential section of town once the building is complete (along with Park Deveraux and the Dawson on Morgan). Maybe some of these will be a little more affordable?

Agreed, Justin. I'd rather they went higher than 7 stories (something about the same as the Clarion sounds good to me) but a 7 story project does just as much to improve the neighborhood at street-level as a 15 story project. That's what matters most. There's less developable land downtown than most people realize, and once a few more projects take up the choicest lots the developers will catch on - and realize there's nowhere to go but up.

What really has me worried is that this building doesn't have much room to "shrink." Given the history of "magical shrinking projects" in Raleigh (Dawson, Palladium, Hudson, Oberlin Village) we can pretty much expect this one to lose a couple floors, and then we're down to a grand total of three or four. That would be a waste of space.

I don't understand why these projects take so long to get off the ground, but I agree downtown could really use a residential quarter that this area is developing into.

By 2010, they're expecting 7000 people downtown. I'm not sure exactly what area that encompasses, but I think that's a nice urban population. It's probably a similar residential density of NC State's campus.

7 stories is ok, but I think it's a lost opportunity: they could seriously capitalize on the proximity to the park for some really great views and to TTA-- this is one (1) block away from the dntn station-- to really up the density downtown.

I agree-- whatever the market will bear is what they'll buid, I just think it's a shame to do lowrise in that spot. If you look not only at the Clarion and the Quorum, but envision Reynolds in the mix, even a 20-story condo tower there would be in keeping.

At any rate-- go, Raleigh, go. It's exciting stuff

7 stories sounds really nice for that area. Its kinda strange how much of an impact the Dawson made on the city when viewing from the Boylan Ave. bridge, so I think that 7 stories would make a good impact for that area. I remember when the plans for the Dawson were announced. The guys at Legends and CC were complaining about the parking lot being gone. Kinda crazy if you ask me. I can only imagine what theyre saying now. I say a 5 story and 7 story building will look much much better there than an empty old parking with that hideous realtors buildings there on the corner. Looks like the warehouse district is going to be the next hot spot for condos.

Although we haven't heard anything concrete about it in years, the word is that the Metropolitan at Lenoir and Harrington might still happen. Maybe the project this thread is referring to will push things further along in the Warehouse district, and make the Metropolitan actually happen.

Not likely, I know. But it's a thought.

There is the question of just how much high-end residential downtown Raleigh can handle, but developers seem to think the market is still there.

Although we haven't heard anything concrete about it in years, the word is that the Metropolitan at Lenoir and Harrington might still happen. Maybe the project this thread is referring to will push things further along in the Warehouse district, and make the Metropolitan actually happen.

Not likely, I know. But it's a thought.

There is the question of just how much high-end residential downtown Raleigh can handle, but developers seem to think the market is still there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I drove past the Metropolitan office at lunch today, and thought about all the condos that were conceived and built since the Metropolitan was proposed...The Hudson, The Dawson, and The Paramount all went up after Florian Companies drew plans. I tried to think about what was different about the situations and arrived at this conclusion...Dawson had White Oak marketing, and Paramount has York, and Hudson has beefed up sales with York on board now...Metropolitan appears to be marketed by itself, without the help of an established listing agent...I would love to see it built but the days of 100% sold out preconstruction (Park Deveraux, Cotton Mill) are long gone in this city so you need a good listing agent (White Oak or YSU for downtown) to get your presales for you.....

the days of 100% sold out preconstruction (Park Deveraux, Cotton Mill) are long gone in this city so you need a good listing agent (White Oak or YSU for downtown) to get your presales for you.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed-- it's all about the sales job, isn't it? With this and every other product out there.

• 4 months later...

The Metropolitan is a different project, located at (I believe) the northeast corner of S. Harrington and W. Lenoir. First proposed perhaps 4 years ago, The Metropolitan has been "on hold" for at least a couple years.

Just following up on the Metropolitan discussion you started three posts above my link :D

5 points is as close as I could afford to buy downtown... we really really need a building with prices under 200,000... it would sell out in like a day, I swear...

and just try to find something for under 200k in 5 points these days. it sells before it's on the market.

I absolutely agree with you-- there has to be a way to serve this segment of the market with something other than cookie-cutter suburban schlock.

Nash Square would be a fantastic area for a condo.

Lets see...City Government will not be developing condos...the N&O has mentioned possibly sticking some in with their redevelopment, Park Deveraux exists but when the Fire Station is unloaded by the city you might get some more.....I was thinking infilling around the Berkley would be great for some 3-6 story condos in the 110-160 range. The Firestone Garage, Berkley and Lawtons are all considered historic but there is still a lot of street frontage on Martin for more stuff plus that awesome hill rising up the back of the lot.....how about some europeon style development...surround the whole block with 3-6 story buildings, retail on the ground level, condos and cool apartments above with an inner courtyard...you could easily have 500 residents on this block with two dozen storefronts all pedestrian scale....no building so tall that Nash Square falls under artificial shade, all right in between the warehouse district and Fayetteville Street.

Lets see...City Government will not be developing condos...the N&O has mentioned possibly sticking some in with their redevelopment, Park Deveraux exists but when the Fire Station is unloaded by the city you might get some more.....I was thinking infilling around the Berkley would be great for some 3-6 story condos in the 110-160 range. The Firestone Garage, Berkley and Lawtons are all considered historic but there is still a lot of street frontage on Martin for more stuff plus that awesome hill rising up the back of the lot.....how about some europeon style development...surround the whole block with 3-6 story buildings, retail on the ground level, condos and cool apartments above with an inner courtyard...you could easily have 500 residents on this block with two dozen storefronts all pedestrian scale....no building so tall that Nash Square falls under artificial shade, all right in between the warehouse district and Fayetteville Street.

I love it! That would be pefect for that area

Archived