Hue

reed

I have a hard time picturing sound getting into a building with triple-pane windows and concrete walls. At best maybe it could add 10-20 dBA. That would be the loudest train whistle. Unless you're on the ground floor right next to a busy street. Or if a window is open you would get more noise.

I've never been in a building where I could hear people talking outside at any volume. No way.

I'm on the 2nd floor of the Dawson, near the corner of Dawson & Morgan. We're never really bothered by the noise, unless it's an ambulance or a really loud motorcycle. I think they did a good job sound proofing this building, compared to others I've been in locally.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uh, yeah. Having lived at Park Dev for 5 years and at Dawson for 1, I never met anyone that had a problem with it. Neither did my wife. Or our kids. Maybe what they were agreeing with is that you don't know what you're talking about. It doesn't matter whether it's a gay bar, a biker bar, frat bar, whatever - if you live near a bar, you get bar type activity. I'll trade that for living next to an Applebee's.

My point exactly. Thanks for that.

A little market pessimism.....if Tucker had reservations but went rental for a combination of the reasons that the rental market was underserved, but mostly that they did not want to kill the for-sale market by introducing so many units at one time......does anyone else think, that Hue, with a similar number of units could do the same thing to the market? Palladium and Hudson are finally approaching sellout...not sure about Quorum...and I don't think Dawson ever completely sold out......no way West is sold out but 222 might be getting close.....looking at this, I am not sure Hue has enough cache to sell its what, 170 units or so, at any great rate of speed.......Seaboard Condos, being walking distance from a grocery store, would seem to have that magical selling point yet untapped, whereas it seems like anyone wanting to live on the Glenwood/Warehouse side of town already have plenty of options.....Sunday morning thoughts.....

According to Realtor.com, there are 31 condos for sale in 27601, inculding the Dawson at Morgan, the Hudson, Palladium Plaza, Park Devereaxu, the Martin Street Condos, etc. And 101 condos in 27603, which includes the Cotton Mill, the Quorum, the Paramount, 510 Glenwood, West at North, 620 N Boylan, 222, Caraleigh Mills, parts of Trailwood (about 20 NCSU student condos), the Links off Tryon Road near the Raleigh Golf Association, and Rennissance Park, among other smaller developments including 630 North Street, possibly a new building just east of the train tracks near the Glenwood intersection.

All of downtown proper has 100 units for sale, if that, including the projects listed but not including 111 or the Hue. The Hue is targeting a different market than the existing stock, offering studio and smaller 1 BR units. I don't think the Hue will go the way of Tucker. But during Hue and 111 construction, the market needs to absorb a good number of those untis to make building more a good idea.

• 2 weeks later...

for how long is a demo permit valid? FWIW, no activity on that site this morning, but I was talking to one of the owners of CCs yesterday, and he said they have lost their parking lot (the site of Hue) and that this project is definitely moving forward.

IMHO, we are approaching the apex of a classic real estate bubble in downtown Raleigh. May not burst as badly as more overpriced areas of the US, but I bet some of these projects in the proposal stage now will never see the light of day. Reminds me of the last big bust in Raleigh (commercial Real estate, associated with the small recession in early 1981-82 right after Reagan took office) that sent several large local developers into receivership (I remember Seby Jones in particular).

for how long is a demo permit valid? FWIW, no activity on that site this morning, but I was talking to one of the owners of CCs yesterday, and he said they have lost their parking lot (the site of Hue) and that this project is definitely moving forward.

IMHO, we are approaching the apex of a classic real estate bubble in downtown Raleigh. May not burst as badly as more overpriced areas of the US, but I bet some of these projects in the proposal stage now will never see the light of day. Reminds me of the last big bust in Raleigh (commercial Real estate, associated with the small recession in early 1981-82 right after Reagan took office) that sent several large local developers into receivership (I remember Seby Jones in particular).

I take the permits as very positive news, although it certainly doesn't guarantee anything will be constructed. The good news is that unlike some other stalled projects, Glen on Peace and Boylan Flats for example, a large company (Trammel Crow) is backing this, and could allow them more flexibility in achieving the final go ahead for financing and construction.

I have to disagree with you on the bubble. The market demand was unmet for quite a while and it has take a while for projects to get going (222 and West) to meet it. Unfortunately, we are now seeing rising interest rates, which is hurting the low end of the market (Tucker St). There are signs the rates could drop again, and with it ramp up demand yet again. Either way, there are thousands of people moving here each year (many from other pricey markets with lots of equity), and I'd have to think at least 5-10% of those would be in the market for a DT condo. Many work in RTP or elsewhere in Raleigh, but are looking for a unique lifestyle that only downtown can provide.

Has that building always been Bradshaw Realty? It looks like it could have been a used car sales office or something along those lines.....anyone know any history of how such an odd looking thing ended up in a sea of asphalt? It has a distinctly 1970's look to it....

Has that building always been Bradshaw Realty? It looks like it could have been a used car sales office or something along those lines.....anyone know any history of how such an odd looking thing ended up in a sea of asphalt? It has a distinctly 1970's look to it....

I've always imagined men in plaid suits, with bushy moustaches and sideburns, chain smoking at their desks inside this place.

When I got kicked out of my parking lot on the land that is now Park Deveraux, I started renting a space on this lot.

Bradshaw Realty might be in the business of real estate, but mostly the office was for collecting money for the parking spaces. It seemed like a glorified trailer with wood paneling throughout and maybe shag carpet. For better or worse, it had not been updated since the day it opened. They probably figured it was just a matter of time before the wrecking ball came, so why bother fixing the place up? There is (was?) also a carport on the west side not visible in the picture. Most of the time there was an old woman working there. She wasn't a chain smoker at her desk, but was often seen smoking outside.

Once they figured out people go downtown at night, they started roping it off and charging for parking. My $40 or so a month only gave me access to the spot from 7 am - 7 pm, even though my lease said otherwise. I didn't bother explaining this to them, since I really didn't need the space, and the person collecting money at night had no idea what I was talking about. On several occasions, someone had parked in my space and the people in the office didn't care. They "let" me park in the three "spare" spaces. I sure won't miss it.

Someone in the bradshaw family owns a building on New Bern just east of East Street. But I don't know if they need an office now that the parking lot has changed hands.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend who is one of the engineers/architechts, whatever you call them, that is working on this building. He's coming into town next week becasue the building is going through an express permitting review process with the city. Small update, but he felt confident that the building was moving forward at good speed.

I have a friend who is one of the engineers/architechts, whatever you call them, that is working on this building. He's coming into town next week becasue the building is going through an express permitting review process with the city. Small update, but he felt confident that the building was moving forward at good speed.

Not sure about the City but with the State, an express review costs alot more but gets you a face to face review, with comments generated at the table. The time from application to meeting is in some guarenteed shorter length of time along teh line of a couple of weeks vs normal time of 90 days or so. Those with City knowledge please fill in details.

they started to put up the construction fence all around the property yesterday. Apparently this thing got approved since they are taking up a lane along Hargett St. with their fence.

Glad to see this one pushing forward. On the downtown home tour, this one stood out to me as the one I'd be most likely to buy into.

Regarding the fence - let me guess. Their fence takes up the whole sidewalk and they have not provided an alternative pedestrian route around it by taking up a traffic lane or parking lane. (don't recall whether there's parking on that part of Dawson or not.) But anyway, I hate how all construction projects in downtown Raleigh are allowed to close the sidewalk like that. 222 Glenwood is particularly annoying about that.

Glad to see this one pushing forward. On the downtown home tour, this one stood out to me as the one I'd be most likely to buy into.

Regarding the fence - let me guess. Their fence takes up the whole sidewalk and they have not provided an alternative pedestrian route around it by taking up a traffic lane or parking lane. (don't recall whether there's parking on that part of Dawson or not.) But anyway, I hate how all construction projects in downtown Raleigh are allowed to close the sidewalk like that. 222 Glenwood is particularly annoying about that.

People completely ignore the lack of sidewalk and meander up and down Glenwood there all the time. Someone's going to get run over. :(

Great news! It's amazing that I heard just a few weeks ago they had no intention on moving to construction yet, and then wham, it's almost ready to start.

Me too. It's got a perfect location IMO... a few blocks to F-St, blks to GlenSo, walk to really everything, and transit & the multimodal center will come eventually--only a matter of time. I may look into one of those provided they keep the price range as advertised.

On the council agenda today:

20.1 300 West Hargett Street

A request has been received from City View Hargett Street 207, LLC to encroach on City right-of-way for the purpose of installing building footings. A report is in the agenda packet.

Starting work will still be conditional on permits, but things are moving along quickly on this one. :)

Archived