Hue

reed

when the Fire Station is unloaded

Amen. I live on the corner of Park Devereaux next to the fire station. I'm happy living there with or without the fire station, but I would be very happy for it to be replaced by something without sirens. It's not even a very good location for the fire station, but unfortunately government inertia and historic considerations will probably prevent it from being moved in the short term.

As for the other businesses around the park, Berkeley cafe is the only one I would be sad to see go.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amen. I live on the corner of Park Devereaux next to the fire station. I'm happy living there with or without the fire station, but I would be very happy for it to be replaced by something without sirens. It's not even a very good location for the fire station, but unfortunately government inertia and historic considerations will probably prevent it from being moved in the short term.

As for the other businesses around the park, Berkeley cafe is the only one I would be sad to see go.

I am pretty sure the City is consolidating stations 1 and 3 into a larger central fire and police headquarters at the site of station 3 and want to say, though not sure where I read it, that it is also part of 2008/2009 horizon...maybe a little farther out 2012 or so...I'll look into it.

The city has been looking for years to create a new fire station to replace the one near Nash Square and Station 3 on the east side of downtown just south of New Bern Ave, possibly combining this with police headquarters. Two lots that were in contention were the big seven acre lot on New Bern now owned by Raliegh Rescue Mission and somewhere in the North Blount neighborhood near the govenor's mansion.

The city government complex bounded by Harget, Dawson, Morgan, and McDowell is getting kinda old and could be in play if offices were moved somewhere else, like say the building on the 200 block of Fayetville Street the city owns and has moved several departments into already. The only thing left would be a place for city council chambers, which I think could be moved to a room in the Convention center, since weeknights are usually slow for such facilities anyway.

The AT&T building is an ugly view, but Nash Square is across the street and it is in the center of everything --a few blocks from Glenwood South, Fayetville Street, Warehouse district/TTA station, etc.

Infill at the Bradshaw Realty lot should be in the 7-10 story ballpark, incorporating parking wrapped with shops, etc. Then a few years down the road (2010-15), the city sells off its block and something in the 20-25 story range (at least) goes in there. The block is north of Nash, so it *won't* cast a shadow over the park square, so why not go high?

Infill at the Bradshaw Realty lot should be in the 7-10 story ballpark, incorporating parking wrapped with shops, etc. Then a few years down the road (2010-15), the city sells off its block and something in the 20-25 story range (at least) goes in there. The block is north of Nash, so it *won't* cast a shadow over the park square, so why not go high?

Yeah, thats probably a good block to go high on. Thanks for the fire station info.

I am pretty sure the City is consolidating stations 1 and 3 into a larger central fire and police headquarters at the site of station 3 and want to say, though not sure where I read it, that it is also part of 2008/2009 horizon...maybe a little farther out 2012 or so...I'll look into it.
The city has been looking for years to create a new fire station to replace the one near Nash Square and Station 3 on the east side of downtown just south of New Bern Ave, possibly combining this with police headquarters. Two lots that were in contention were the big seven acre lot on New Bern now owned by Raliegh Rescue Mission and somewhere in the North Blount neighborhood near the govenor's mansion.

Good news, thanks!

• 8 months later...

This is great news for that block. To me, this is a great place to build tall as it is near the future TTA stop and is basically just an ugly surface lot with a glorified trailer on it. Also it will connect Reynolds Tower, the Dawson, and Park Deveraux from north to south so there would seem to be a tremendous opportunity for retail to work here.

bye-bye view for the Dawson :( Would hate to be in that situation.

yes, it really sucks living right between the warehouse district, glenwood south, and downtown proper, with another mixed use building going up right next door with additional retail/restaurant spaces to walk to.

the view from the dawson will only be obstructed at the southernmost part of skyline anyway, as far as I can tell.

Depending on how high this is built, all south facing Dawson at Morgan condos would only have a view of this project. The parking lot south of the building would still provide an angle toward the CBD even if they build right to the property line. If I was buying for the view, I would only consider the units on the end of this building. Anywhere else, I'd be there to be in the middle of it all.

This is good infill between F Street and the warehouse district and the TTA station. With this and Bloomsbury, and Reynolds, what will be the number of people within a five minute walk to the Dillon Supply station?

The Dawson at Morgan building is not on the site plan, even though it has been open for about a year now...

I think this may end up being a very critical project. I think it will really help bridge the gaps in DT development from F St to the Warehouse District and future TTA, while connecting Reynolds Tower, the Dawson, and Park Deveraux in a continuous 2 block area. Let's hope for some fresh new designs for the building.

(7, 9, 10 floors),This is becoming confusing! Is the site plan accurate or this new story? Also, this story states that all of the RBC Plaza condo's have been reserved? I seriously question that. :huh:

I am sure the condos are reserved...but like the article states, they have not been converted to contracts. This is how investors (especially realtors!!) jack up the prices of real estate downtown. They are all willing to bet the reservation fee that there are lots of people who want a "delux apartment in the sky".

Yes, the 9-10 number I posted previously was a generalization, or an extrapolation (whatever the right word is). They had talked last year about a 7-story building. The new site plan calls for 28% more units than previously discussed, however. Unless the building layout and/or unit sizes are very different, they would have to add floors to accomodate the new units. SO, the 9-10 number is very soft, and could be extremely off. Who knows at this point.

I am sure the condos are reserved...but like the article states, they have not been converted to contracts. This is how investors (especially realtors!!) jack up the prices of real estate downtown. They are all willing to bet the reservation fee that there are lots of people who want a "delux apartment in the sky".

All of RBC condo's reserved??? <_<

• 1 month later...

The Nash - Looks like this is going ahead.

7-Stories. Wish it could be bigger, but I'll take it :yahoo:

Sounds like a pretty good project even if we are getting more of same bland 'contemporary' architecture. I really like the service road/alley. When the area north of Legends gets developed one day maybe this street/alley will punch all the way through the block. These service roads are important for keeping garbage, UPS/Fed-Ex and the like off of traveled roads....most of downtown suffers from lack of service alleys...

Archived