Hue

reed

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad to see more development and condos coming downtown, but Hue doesn't do it for me. Hopefully it will look better once it is built. It looks like some of the other condos planned for downtown with some color splashed on it.

They put an ad for Hue in the latest issue of Q-Notes, the local GLBT newspapers...going after that alt lifestyle/high disposable income demographic.

On a related note, anyone else gnash their teeth and want to pull out their hair out over the West at North ads now running nonstop on local radio featuring the vacuous 20-something talking about wanting to "live his own life" and "hang out on Glenwood South"??

They put an ad for Hue in the latest issue of Q-Notes, the local GLBT newspapers...going after that alt lifestyle/high disposable income demographic.

Haha I JUST noticed that and was about to post the same thing. Obviously they are going for the right crowd -- can you imagine all of the gays who would like to live right next to the gay bars?

On a related note, anyone else gnash their teeth and want to pull out their hair out over the West at North ads now running nonstop on local radio featuring the vacuous 20-something talking about wanting to "live his own life" and "hang out on Glenwood South"??

Welcome Jeff!

It's smart for Hue to market to the GLBT community, as the building sits right next to Legends, CCs (I think that's it) and then near Flex and White Rabbit on Martin... kind of the epicenter of several gay-friendly businesses. I'd imagine it would appeal to folks wanting to upgrade from Park Devereaux or Martin St condos. I really like that they are going to infuse them with some color, hoping to set them apart from everything else. The location is nearly perfect I think... adjacent Nash Square, near Fayetteville St, near future TTA station, short walk to GlenSo.

Missed the West ads. I'm sure they are equal parts catchy and annoying. :D

HA- I imagine most of the gay guys who would love to live next to the gay bars cant afford them. Most can barely afford the apartments they rent now :)

Good point....most of my gay friends with responsible jobs haven't been to the bars in ages...

Good point....most of my gay friends with responsible jobs haven't been to the bars in ages...

Sadly, myself included. Do we know if there will be any apartments included with these and / or what will the low end condo prices be? Its so sad that the folks who frequent downtown can't afford to live in the middle of it all.

I think that kind of goes for straight folks too.....I once could hack a couple days in the office of being strung out but now that I supervise (what was I thinking?!), I have to be sharp every day....is my job "responsible" now vs. before? I think aging out towards mid thirtyish has something to do with it too....

So I have to ask...does anyone think Hue is colorful in order to appeal to the gay community? I normally give my gay friends more credit than that...they usually take a beat up old house or apartment and fix it up quite nicely vs. going for a spoon fed new colorful condo....but still, maybe someone on the design team was thinking this possibly??

• 2 weeks later...

^Please take a minute and read the previous page:

This WRAL article was up last week and reflects the change to "Hue." Here's a new tidbit though:

Construction will start this summer and is expected to be finished in the second half of 2009. The average price for condos will be under $300,000, the company said.

Buyers can pick between nine floor plans. Prices start at under $200,000.

I have been interested in this project and I called the number on the website for more information last week. I was told they are still finalizing the permits with the city and plan to break ground this summer, as mentioned by the wral article. At that point they will have documentation on the prices and floor plans available.

• 1 month later...

I heard the Hue does not have plans for a construction date yet... they haven't filed permits yet, so that makes sense. There is a party planned for August, so I'm sure they will try to get a sales push going.

I did see one of their new brochures which mentioned that studios would start in the $160s, 1BRs in the $180s and 2BRs in the $200s. That's the first I've heard of a new condo project in Raleigh building studios, but I think its a smart strategy. With interest rates climbing, the starter condo market is shrinking, but this might make 20-somethings out of college think a bit harder before they go with a rental instead.

In case you missed it, this is the largest new urban condo project in the Triangle with 208 units, and it's in a great location. (I can't wait for that parking lot to be gone!) I really hope this one gets off the ground.

I heard the Hue does not have plans for a construction date yet... they haven't filed permits yet, so that makes sense. There is a party planned for August, so I'm sure they will try to get a sales push going.

I did see one of their new brochures which mentioned that studios would start in the $160s, 1BRs in the $180s and 2BRs in the $200s. That's the first I've heard of a new condo project in Raleigh building studios, but I think its a smart strategy. With interest rates climbing, the starter condo market is shrinking, but this might make 20-somethings out of college think a bit harder before they go with a rental instead.

In case you missed it, this is the largest new urban condo project in the Triangle with 207 units, and it's in a great location. (I can't wait for that parking lot to be gone!) I really hope this one gets off the ground.

Its a great location if you want to live next to a gay bar, I for one will not be living in HUE. Nothing against gay people I just really cant stand the aura and atmosphere of a gay bar even alot of gay people will agree with me on that.

Its a great location if you want to live next to a gay bar, I for one will not be living in HUE. Nothing against gay people I just really cant stand the aura and atmosphere of a gay bar even alot of gay people will agree with me on that.

Wow. The straight residents at Park Deveraux and the Dawson don't seem to have any problem with it. What is different about the aura and atmosphere of a gay bar vs. a straight bar, anyway?

I think the project will be so big that the effect of the businesses on Hargett will have a minimum impact on the lifestyle of people around the Hue.

So what is the standard zone of demarcation for straights outside of a gay bar?? Would you live 2 doors down from a gay bar? There are probably some who wouldn't live 2 blocks from it, 5 blocks. I even have a friend who insists that he won't live within 22.5 blocks of a gay bar. :silly:

Uh, yeah. Having lived at Park Dev for 5 years and at Dawson for 1, I never met anyone that had a problem with it. Neither did my wife. Or our kids. Maybe what they were agreeing with is that you don't know what you're talking about. It doesn't matter whether it's a gay bar, a biker bar, frat bar, whatever - if you live near a bar, you get bar type activity. I'll trade that for living next to an Applebee's.

Would the temptation to go there keep you up at all hours of the night?

:wacko: Um, OK, well I didn't expect that reaction. I never thought of this project as "you know, the one that's near that gay bar area." I was thinking more that it will be a big project, near the future MTC (transit), good pricing, will have a nice streetscape (retail), will replace that ugly as hell parking lot, and has an ever-so-slightly funky design. In terms of location and pricing, it's one of the best projects out there IMO, although with the traffic on Dawson St, I'd pick a unit on the Hargett side.

LOL...man these last half-dozen posts are funny.

Especially when you look at the Warehouse District as a whole, there are Three gay bars (which account for half of all the gay bars in the Entire Triangle...there aren't that many!), and like a dozen or so straight ones. Yeah, two of them are right across the street from each other, but calling that the "gay bar area" is like calling Cameron Village "The grocery store area" just because they have two of those. :lol:

Anyways...it sounds like the residents haven't had issues with being near gay bars...or any bars for that matter. Particularly when you remember who was there first. ;)

although with the traffic on Dawson St, I'd pick a unit on the Hargett side.

Which is also a good reason why I thought they should have made it taller, at least 10 stories...IMHO!! If I could live there I would take traffic into account and would purchase one of the units on the upper floors. We know that traffic is sure to only get worse, but it's still a great area in which to live. :thumbsup:

Which is also a good reason why I thought they should have made it taller, at least 10 stories...IMHO!! If I could live there I would take traffic into account and would purchase one of the units on the upper floors. We know that traffic is sure to only get worse, but it's still a great area in which to live. :thumbsup:

I don't think the height will make much difference (I could be wrong). I was on the top floor at Dawson, Hargett side, and the noise could be rather intense. Train whistle was clear as a bell. Motorcycle and truck noise was ever present. I heard the gun shots at Five Star back in '06. When Dawson was being resurfaced, we couldn't sleep at night. Every other night, we could hear bar patrons hooting and hollering in the parking lot where Hue will stand. At some degree, it was if you could see it, you could hear it.

^Wild. I always assumed condos and other newer residential buildings put in urbanized areas would have better sound-proofing. :dontknow:

For the most part you get used to it and deal with it. Until you have kids and you actually need to sleep during normal sleeping hours. Then you move to U-Park ;-)

I have a hard time picturing sound getting into a building with triple-pane windows and concrete walls. At best maybe it could add 10-20 dBA. That would be the loudest train whistle. Unless you're on the ground floor right next to a busy street. Or if a window is open you would get more noise.

I've never been in a building where I could hear people talking outside at any volume. No way.

Archived