DestiNY USA

UTCdude23

Over the past decade there has been alot of discussion about DestiNY USA, a large theme-park/research facility that would supposedly bring hundreds of thousands of jobs to Central NY. However, there has been delay after delay, and the initial opening date was back in '04. Now that some physical work is actually starting, does anyone think that it will become a reality? If so, in the next year? Two years? more? Or is it a pipe-dream that will never really set in?

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

I've heard that the developer wants the existing anchor stores to give up their property rights and also the rights to hire their own employees in favor of his company controlling it all.

So is this project supposed to take the place of Carosel Mall/Center?? I remember when that mall opened -- it was the largest in the area -- there weren't many/any really big malls in Western and Central New York until the Walden Galleria in Buffalo and the carosel mall opened up in Syracuse.

Surprisingly, Rochester does not have a really big mall.

So is this project supposed to take the place of Carosel Mall/Center?? I remember when that mall opened -- it was the largest in the area -- there weren't many/any really big malls in Western and Central New York until the Walden Galleria in Buffalo and the carosel mall opened up in Syracuse.

Yep, DestiNY USA will be the new face of Carousel Center. Pryramid Companies developed both Carousel and Walden Galleria and they're behind DestiNY as well.

Yep, DestiNY USA will be the new face of Carousel Center. Pryramid Companies developed both Carousel and Walden Galleria and they're behind DestiNY as well.

Problem is it's gonna significantly affect all of Pyramid's other malls within 75 miles (Pyramid in Ithaca, Sangertown in Utica, and Salmon Run in Watertown) as well as Shoppingtown and Great Northern. Besides, wasn't there a "groundbreaking" three years ago, yet nothing has happened?

I am not so sure that it is doomed, I think a good reason people don't see it happening is due to a miserable mindset that people in the NY rustbelt have become accustomed to. 60 employees have already been hired with annual salaries of $60,000. This is the first time in over 5 years that has been accomplished. Another barrier preventing the project from taking flight is a dispute between the city and the company's financial agreement. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Another barrier preventing the project from taking flight is a dispute between the city and the company's financial agreement. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

That's becouse the company keeps wanting the financial agreement changed since it's not enough for them. Pyramid has already agreed to a deal but they want more, and this is frustrating the city, county, and state, since there has been no action, just plans. More importantly, Pyramid has been neglecting maintenance on the current mall, to the tune of $15 million that will neeed to be spent on the current parking structures.

• 2 months later...
Does anyone in this forum have any new news on Destiny USA. There is a lot of guessing & predictions going on at other forums. Just wanted to see if anyone has anything substantial. Thanks
I think Pyramid and the city of Syracuse are battling over tax assesments right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, this was a very sad article to read. I am not sure whether to believe the city or the developer. It seems like both sides may have had some sort of beef with the other. In any case, I hope that the project can be resurrected, as this would be a huge economic engine for the Syracuse area, and all of Central New York really.

• 1 month later...

The press release they just put out said they laid off the rest of the workers, so this is pretty much dead, I liked the idea, I like ambitious projects to show that the US is moving forward, but like someone else said, the site is kind of creepy and like the vidoe you see for the terminator ride in orlando, where "cyberdyne industries" is doing ambitious things that may be over the heads of some americans.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I would really love to see this project built.

Good news from Syracuse NY regarding Destiny USA. The developer and the city of Syracuse have reached an agreement on tax benefits. Although they have reached an agreement, the deal will need final approval from the Syracuse Common Counsel and the Syracuse Industrial Development Agency. When final approval is given SIDA will sell $210 million dollars in bonds to help fund the project. Construction on the first phase would start approx. 30 days after the bond sale, as early as September this year. That first phase is an 848,000 sq. ft addition to the existing Carousel Mall. For more info on this project and the process, check out either of these websites. www.syracuse.com/destinyusa/updates or www.syracuse.com

Archived