Team Selected For Pontiac Silverdome Makeover

baldy

From WDIV - Sept 9, 2005

A new plan for the Pontiac Silverdome would include an extreme makeover for the structure.

The Schostak Brothers Co. Inc. have been selected as the developer for a new project at the former home to the Detroit Lions, Local 4 reported. The project would shear off the top portion of the Silverdome to build a hotel and convention center at the site.

The remaining property of the Silverdome would include restaurants and stores.

"Since the beginning of their presentation to us, they had included a certain minority participation of a few other contractors that was part of their team," said Pontiac City Councilmember John Bueno about the Schostak Brothers Co. Inc.

Danou Enterprises also fought for the project, according to Local 4 reports. Published reports have suggested that the company's ties to Pontiac Mayor Willie Payne brought them to the forefront.

Bueno said they are working out the final details with the contractors.

Sources told Local 4 that the same demolition experts that worked at Soldier Field in Chicago have been reviewing the removal of the roof at the Silverdome. Changes could be expected within a few weeks, the station reported.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always thought it would be perfect for an indoor amusement park, just tear out the inner ring of stands. Michigan could really use a large scale indoor amusement park, or even water park, I think something like that would do great business.

Tear that schitt down! 

Seriously, this is one of the stupidest developments.  They could accomplish a lot more by tearing it down and building something new.  I'm all for adaptive reuse...but why are they reusing a piece of crap?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you Allan!

Archived