RBC Tower to rise as high as 30 Stories

Tayfromcarolina

According to next weeks Triangle Business Journal RBC's new tower could go as high as 30 stories and "most city leaders want RBC to build big and build tall"

And finally some hard figures in RBC's new Future in Downtown Raleigh. In next weeks triangle business journal 30 stories is mentioned. Poyner & Spruill LLP who works with RBC in business ventures and may need at least 60,000 square feet for their 55 lawyers and support staff. Deloitte & Touche and accounting firm in the Wachovia building also may decide to move closer to the bread and butter as it were in RBC's new Tower.

Souces say that the long coveted block where first citizens was to build there 26 story tower in the early 90's is still forerunner for RBC's new tower. Highwoods has hired Cooper Carry & Associates Inc. out of Atlanta to do schematic designs for a 200,000 square foot building and 6 level parking garage. :D

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to next weeks Triangle Business Journal RBC's new tower could go as high as 30 stories and "most city leaders want RBC to build big and build tall"

And finally some hard figures in RBC's new Future in Downtown Raleigh. In next weeks triangle business journal 30 stories is mentioned.  Poyner & Spruill LLP who works with RBC in business ventures and may need at least 60,000 square feet for their 55 lawyers and support staff.  Deloitte & Touche and accounting firm in the Wachovia building also may decide to move closer to the bread and butter as it were in RBC's new Tower.

Souces say that the long coveted  block where first citizens was to build there 26 story tower in the early 90's is still forerunner for RBC's new tower.  Highwoods has hired Cooper Carry & Associates Inc. out of Atlanta to do schematic designs for a 200,000 square foot building and 6 level parking garage. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now we are talking my language "up to 30 floors".

I am still banking (no pun intended) on 40 floors.This is what they must do to stand-out among the other hi-rises. Or add a nice spire to the top.

I truly believe others will jump on-board to make this a truely nice and tall tower.It sounds like the city is finally pulling their head out of their ... and seeing the light too.

And finally some hard figures in RBC's new Future in Downtown Raleigh. In next weeks triangle business journal 30 stories is mentioned.  Poyner & Spruill LLP who works with RBC in business ventures and may need at least 60,000 square feet for their 55 lawyers and support staff.  Deloitte & Touche and accounting firm in the Wachovia building also may decide to move closer to the bread and butter as it were in RBC's new Tower.

Souces say that the long coveted  block where first citizens was to build there 26 story tower in the early 90's is still forerunner for RBC's new tower.  Highwoods has hired Cooper Carry & Associates Inc. out of Atlanta to do schematic designs for a 200,000 square foot building and 6 level parking garage. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The 200,000 sq ft + 6 level parking garage still only gets you to around 15 stories. Condos and retail to fill out the rest perhaps? FYI, Cooper Carry designed Fayettevile St I believe.

The 200,000 sq ft + 6 level parking garage still only gets you to around 15 stories. Condos and retail to fill out the rest perhaps? FYI, Cooper Carry designed Fayettevile St I believe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cooper Carry was did the new Progress building, too.

I think if it really is going to be 30 or more stories the site has to be the former 1st Citizens site across from Mecca. That entire block is owned by Progress, and could easily accommodate condos along the Blount St. side (in keeping with the ones Progress will build on that side of their new building), a tower fronting Fayetteville St., and a parking garage on the interior.

The other tenants are not surprising, and it would seem to me if Highwoods can get that much space pre-leased, that they would be savvy enough to toss in some spec space and send the building up to 35 stories or more.

The article metions Reynolds approached RBC about filling their tower.  If they don't choose Reynolds, does that mean that project is shelved or shrinks?  I'm assuming so, but I will keep my hopes up that we see two 30+ story towers built at once!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not nec.'ly. The Wachovia and BB&T buildings went up at the same time, so it can be done. I suppose if all the buzz around dntn means that there's an uptick in demand, then maybe the market can supoprt two more towers at the same time. Of course, the BB&T building struggled for several years after it was built, so you never know.

Well hopefully Reynolds has his ducks in a row and has something else lined up in case this falls through.  He pretty much has to announce something relatively soon since the city has the option to buyback the property if he doesn't come up with something, correct?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

His rights to develop the property expire in February 2006. When the city decided to extend his option, they hoped to hear something by some time this fall. But the absolute deadline is February. The word this February when Ted Reynolds stood in front of City Council was that he already had his ducks in a row for a 18ish story tower, but the city staff said "Think... BIGGER, combine the lots at 309 and 301 Hillsborough Street!" So Reynolds went to work finding more companies to fill a bigger building.

When this was all going down at City Council, he said that if he can't get something together by February 2006, he'll just go ahead with the original 18 story tower instead.

I don't want to be overly pessimistic, but...I'll believe this when I see it.  Things like this always seem to get scaled back, if I had to wager I'd still bet on us seeing a ~15 story tower.  But I hope I'm wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why would you doubt that with the amazing growth of Raleigh?

Something tells me if it is 30 stories, it will be on the 1st Citizens lot or one of the new proposed lots by the old convention center. I doubt Progress Energy wants a 30 story building right in front and beside their HQ. It would drawf them. If it is 30, they push it to be down the block some.

The new lot near Memorial will allow them to build a "RBC Plaza" like they have in toronto and tie in much more than just their opinion. Depends on what they want and how long term they are planning. JMHO

This is wonderful news!

A question though,

If the Reynolds tower is included, it seems we would be looking at...at LEAST a 45 story tower...right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think things are pointing to the fact that Highwoods will build a separate building for RBC on Fayetteville Street. The question is whether the proposed Reynolds building, on Hillsborough St., will be viable at 30+ stories with the RBC building coming online at the same time.

If RBC were going into the Reynolds building, it would seem that they had enough interest for a much taller structure, yes. But I think we'll be seeing 2 more towers on the Raleigh skyline, though maybe not either of them as tall as the folks here on UP would have them be! :P

I don't have a good scope of these tower projects, but how many workers would a 30 story building bring downtown on average?

According to a recent nando story, downtown raleigh's workforce is about 27,500 (1.1 square mile area). For comparison, rtp.org says they have 44,000 employees. And Durham has 13,000 (< 1 square mile).

I don't have a good scope of these tower projects, but how many workers would a 30 story building bring downtown on average?

According to a recent nando story, downtown raleigh's workforce is about 27,500 (1.1 square mile area).  For comparison, rtp.org says they have 44,000 employees.  And Durham has 13,000 (< 1 square mile).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BB&T building has approx. 1200 employees.

not sure about Wachovia.

The article about RBC's move to Raleigh is out in the TBJ. Here's the link: http://triangle.bizjournals.com/triangle/s...ry5.html?page=1

RBC has found some other tenants to help fill the tower which may be comparable in height to Raleigh's current tallest. City leaders want RBC to build tall. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

http://triangle.bizjournals.com/triangle/s...ry5.html?page=1

I just don't understand how, and I'm qouting from the article linked above, the First Citizen's proposal for a 26 floor tower was 500,000 square feet, and the proposed RBC tower is rumored to have 200,000 square feet, yet there's rumor that it may be 25-30 floors high.....Was the First Citizens building built atop a parking deck like the proposed RBC tower is rumored to be? Would 6 floors of parking make up for a difference in 300,000 square feet when it comes to height? I mean honestly I'm confused, we are talking about the same exact lot here....

Archived