RBC Tower to rise as high as 30 Stories

Tayfromcarolina

Both of these stories

- Craig Davis/East-West/White Oak plan for site 1 far along in development with "high intensity, urban design" features added

and

- Capital Broadcasting looking to add TV and/or radio studio to ground floor of RBC's new downtown building

plus this article in Wednesday's Independent (link may only be good for the week of Nov. 23-39)

"On the walls of her office at Empire, where she is in charge of the company's restaurant development, there are floor plans for a Southern restaurant she hopes to have open by the middle of next year. Empire is also planning to build a boutique hotel near the BTI center, and included in those plans is another restaurant, which Christensen refers to as her "signature" restaurant."

Adds up to a pretty big week for downtown Raleigh!!!

The south end of Fayetville street, close to Raleigh Memorial Auditorium, the new convention center, etc. would be an easy sell to retired-but-active boomers in the next few years. Hopefully this project plust the Hudson will start to give a 24/7 feel to downtown. I just hope this does not come at the expense of other urban nightlife, but complement and add to it.

Capital Broadcasting could move all the operations currently in their building with the expiring lease on Hillsborough St near St. Marys into a few floors of a theoretical RBC building at Martin/Fayetville and then RBC could rise above that for a total of 30+ stories easily. Some penthouse condos and/or another capital city/cardinal club on the top floor to look down on the other two tower top clubs already in place!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is another article about the ongoing RBC-Centura site selection saga in the TBJ this week, however its not on their online edition. It mentions that RBC definitely favors site one, but with Duke Realty developing it. This obviously could cause some problems since Craig Davis and friends have already talked to the city and have been selected to develop.

I'm still holding on hope for the Highwoods development next to the Hudson...keep your figers crossed for a first week of December announcement!

I wonder how long it will be before we hear anymore major announcements downtown for office buildings after RBC announces? I hope other businesses will consider downtown Raleigh.

Is there a height limit on site 1? Is it possible that site 1 could be 30 stories?

I can already see debates on the meaning of "midrise"

I just don't see why RBC would favor this spot if the height limitations would put it lower than BofA and BB&T. It would provide visibility in this location but it would also be looked down upon by these two competitors.

That being said, if they do definitely favor site 1, I hope it looks pretty awesome architectually. The original plan by Craig Davis looks nice, but not what I would consider a signature building for a headquarters.

Downtown dodged a huge bullet on this one. The Site one proposals seemed quite possible, but in the end it appears RBC was just posturing itself for a better deal from Highwoods. Every time I walk by that parcel, that silly surface parking lot sticks out like a open sore. IMO, completing the streetwall along Fayetteville is the most important single privately funded project in downtown.

Welcome to downtown, RBC. Thanks for making the smart decision.

note that the bank is not quoted in the story, nor does it identify a source for the information that the decision has been made. I've heard that the article was premature, and possibly erroneous-- don't know that RBC has yet made its decision.

in any event, it's good to hear the talk about height.

Wish they'd go to 40 stories on that site, tho'.

Yes, but making everything that gets built downtown ultra-tall is not necessarily a good thing. If the downtown market can only support 28 stories at this point, then building 28 stories is the right thing to do. 28 stories will have a sufficient impact, and it means the downtown office market will not be overbuilt, which in turn means less time until the next tower on Fayetteville gets built. It may also leave room for a taller Reynolds tower.

There are still a number of locations on Fayetteville Street with ugly, insignificant low-rises that nobody would shed a tear over if they were demolished. Yup, there's space for a 40 story tower on Fayetteville Street yet.

Its pretty funny following the progress of this project:

1. RBC isn't moving to Raleigh. Well, they do move.

2. However, they will relocate in the burbs. Wrong again.

3. They will pick the wrong spot-site 1. Well they choose the spot everyone favors.

4. They will build a mid-rise no taller than 15 stories. Wrong still again.

5. The building will be around 28 stories.

6. Now the building isn't tall enough.

I can't wait until the renderings come out.

I'm happy about the news, just wish this whole process was a little less like a soap opera lol. I suppose it's no more dramatic then the Reynolds Tower proposal though.

It is probably more like a soap opera to us who post on urbanplanet than the typical Triangle resident. I'm glad that they took their time and didn't rush into a decision. I am also glad that they are including residential in the project. Bringing residents to downtown is just as important as it brings additional business potential to the area.

It will be interesting to see the renderings for this 28-story tower. I wonder if it will surpass Hannover II in height. Its location should add some pretty dramatic density to that part of downtown.

Is this lot adjacent to the Hudson?

I think this is where the TV 11 studio is and I believe WRAL/Capitol Broadcasting wanted a newsroom in the new RBC center. It sounds like there will be a lot of street level excitement on that block once the Fayetteville Street reopens.

I have noticed RBC has been very aggressive recently-they are building/renovating a new office in downtown Greenville, SC near the Falls River Park area (prime location) and have just taken over sponsorship for the Big South Athletic Conference. Custer, the CEO, said they were looking at acqusitions in late 2006. I would expect this aggressiveness will be echoed in a very prominent architectural style for the new building.

This is excellent news! Another 28-story tower in between the "bookends" will help to fill the gap and add density to our skyline. This tower is a perfect mix of height (skyline effect) and housing opportunity. I wonder how much the condos in Raleigh's tallest residential tower will sell for. Also, will this become downtown's new tallest?

:yahoo:

This is a first time post. The news about the new building finally encouraged me to post something online. I have been reading this for a while and have enjoyed the discussions. Excellent choice in terms of site selection for RBC...I was worried for a while about some mid-rise near the old convention center site. Glad RBC came through with the mosy logical choice in terms of size and location for their tower!

Also, will this become downtown's new tallest?

:yahoo:

I don't think that this will be downtown Raleigh's tallest, I doubt the tower is going to have 15 or 16' ceilings for the residential floors. Hopefully, the building will get a crown of some sort that will at least push the building near the height of the bookends. I'm all ancy to see the renderings now! :-p

Archived