RBC Tower to rise as high as 30 Stories

Tayfromcarolina

I don't think that this will be downtown Raleigh's tallest, I doubt the tower is going to have 15 or 16' ceilings for the residential floors. Hopefully, the building will get a crown of some sort that will at least push the building near the height of the bookends. I'm all ancy to see the renderings now! :-p

I think Hannover II is 29 floors and surpasses the height of the Wachovia tower at 30 floors. I definitely think this can and probably will be taller at 28 stories. I am sure the bottom few floors will be high and that they will add some type of ornamental architecture at the top if that's what is takes to make it the tallest. I might be wrong, but I think Hannover II 2 greenish boxes on top are added into its height.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Behold>>> I think the building should look something like the FROST TOWER in Austin, TX. It has made a statement that few buildings built recently in cities have. And with RBC being such an entity I can really see something like this working well for downtown. I can't see Centura building something that would'nt draw your attention coming in from a distance faster than the current BB&T and Wachovia would.

frost3.jpg

Maybe a bluish glass mixed with concrete type building would work. Brick is not an option IMO.

frsot2.jpg

frostaustin.jpg

Dramatically lit up at night this is precisely what downtown Raleigh needs. We need our own Signature Building look what BOA's Crown has done for Charlotte.

frost20bank.jpg%7Boption%7D

RBC has selected a site according to the N&O this morning. They plan on putting their roughly 28-story HQ on the tract owned by Progress Energy at the corner of Fayetteville and Martin. Still no specific details on the building itself...

RBC bank picks HQ site

Hey, 28 stories isn't bad at all. Good news for DT Raleigh. I hope its location will help to "balance" the skyline, so to speak.

Great picture Tay! A building anything like that would be incredible for our skyline. Your right, it has to have an impressive crown that is lit up at night. I know I'm dreaming here but would'nt it be great if this new tower prompted the owners of the BB&T tower to finish the top of their building with something more impressive than green corrigated metal.

I think Hannover II is 29 floors and surpasses the height of the Wachovia tower at 30 floors. I definitely think this can and probably will be taller at 28 stories. I am sure the bottom few floors will be high and that they will add some type of ornamental architecture at the top if that's what is takes to make it the tallest. I might be wrong, but I think Hannover II 2 greenish boxes on top are added into its height.

BB&T and Wachovia are both 29 stories. The word from longtime downtown coworkers of mine is that both wanted to go higher than that but some fire code related extra expense caused them to shorten and fatten the buildings to the max without having to do the extra whatever.

Behold>>> I think the building should look something like the FROST TOWER in Austin, TX. It has made a statement that few buildings built recently in cities have. And with RBC being such an entity I can really see something like this working well for downtown. I can't see Centura building something that would'nt draw your attention coming in from a distance faster than the current BB&T and Wachovia would.

frost3.jpg

Maybe a bluish glass mixed with concrete type building would work. Brick is not an option IMO.

frsot2.jpg

frostaustin.jpg

Dramatically lit up at night this is precisely what downtown Raleigh needs. We need our own Signature Building look what BOA's Crown has done for Charlotte.

frost20bank.jpg%7Boption%7D

How tall is Frost Tower?

Awesome news! Funny that the day I'm out of the office RBC decides to announce their plans. :P

I like it. As orulz, said, there is still room for another taller skyscraper in a couple of locations either along Fayetteville St (near the hallmark, etc. at Hargett St I think) or a block north of Progress Energy. This is a great development for DT Raleigh, and should only keep up the momentum we've seen recently.

I echo the sentiments about RBC hopefully making an architectural splash with this bldg. Maybe a spire that puts it above the BB&T bldg for top DT honors?

:thumbsup:

Great picture Tay! A building anything like that would be incredible for our skyline. Your right, it has to have an impressive crown that is lit up at night. I know I'm dreaming here but would'nt it be great if this new tower prompted the owners of the BB&T tower to finish the top of their building with something more impressive than green corrigated metal.

I kind of like the look of the green boxes on the top of BB&T. It gives the building a retro feel IMO. Plus, it coincides with all of the squared off, stepped-in lines to the building. A "crown" effect would not have worked well with this building.

I hope RBC adds some sort of color to their building. After looking at panoramic shots of downtown, there is not much color outside of beige, gray and brick. I'll give BB&T credit with their green at the holiday time. It sure would add greater recognition if it were to have some different colors in it, especially at night. Possibly some North Carolina Blue in the lighting since blue is in RBC's logo too.

I definitely agree that this building would be best if it had an interesting crown of some sort. The Frost Tower in Austin is great. I really like the Hearst tower in Charlotte, too. I don't know. Something different, something attractive. Impress us and impress the world, RBC Centura!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived