RBC Tower to rise as high as 30 Stories

Tayfromcarolina

I just don't understand how, and I'm qouting from the article linked above, the First Citizen's proposal for a 26 floor tower was 500,000 square feet, and the proposed RBC tower is rumored to have 200,000 square feet, yet there's rumor that it may be 25-30 floors high.....Was the First Citizens building built atop a parking deck like the proposed RBC tower is rumored to be? Would 6 floors of parking make up for a difference in 300,000 square feet when it comes to height? I mean honestly I'm confused, we are talking about the same exact lot here....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I use 20,000 sqft as a rule of thumb per floor for 'skyscrapers' in Raleigh, An acre is 43,560 sqft, and the big blocks in raleigh are 4 acres, so a corner building on a big block or a half block footprint fronting Fayetteville St is something near 1/2 acre. So your 200,000 sqft is on the order of 10 stories. A skinnier building might take that number up to say 12 stories. Add 6 for parking, 6 for residential and one for ground level retail and you have 25. First Citizen did not have condos or parking proposed in its structure so minus the ground level retail you are left with 500,000/25 = 20,000 sqft per floor.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard (a completely unsubstantiated rumor) that while the building will be "very prominent" on the skyline, it will not be as tall as the Wachovia and BB&T towers. So no competition from downtown with the Glen-Tree for Raleigh's tallest building just yet.

The D&T news is not great, but I wouldn't think the developer would have any trouble getting an additional user. I bet we'd still be looking at a minimum of 200K sq. ft. of office.

^^agreed; although at this point I think additional density downtown-- in any form-- is a good thing. I would think that the design of any building these days would add to the activity of the Street. If it will be "prominent" on the skyline, one would hope it would be a landmark building, even if it's not the tallest.

The RBC website says that they should have there final decision made within 60 days. Please see the below http link.

http://www.rbccentura.com/about/news/083005_hqmove.html

That was August 30 and Sunday is October 30. I guess it shouldn't be to much longer. I think that maybe it's good that it has taken this long. It would have been easier/faster for them to announce a 15 story building. But I think there is more to what they want to do, ( taller, design, # of condo's, leasable sq ft etc.) that type of thing. Or at least I hope so anyway.

I wake up every morning and get the N&O paper hoping to see RBC's new design on the cover. And of course so far, every day it's a let down. But I keep the faith that my wait will over shortly and not disappointed. Only the slow march of time will tell.

:unsure:

There's an article in this weeks TBJ saying RBC has chosen the Site 1 spot on Fayetteville Street. It does propose some problems, however, since Highwoods wasn't developing that site. No announcement on the building just yet, however.

The link should be up by Monday morning.

RBC won't have to be tall, though, in the Site 1 location to have a "prominent" building. (that was their goal from the start).

Maybe, like NCNB, they can outgrow the site in a few years and get Caesar Pelli to build something in another block that makes the BOA tower in CLT look like a crayon. (I do love that building, though).

Site 1 would be very prominant. And I'd say something taller than 10 floors there would stick out pretty well--but only if it were architecturally different from the surrounding boxes.

It wouldn't help the skyline though. Raleigh would still have that buck teeth look.

That site is very prominent, However, I dont think it helps "fill" downtown any better.

Yeah, thats what I meant. And it seems like the only way it will add to the skyline is to go taller and / or have a really great design. Everything will be clustered up around the BB&T building, instead of our skyline filling in in other places. Bleh.

Seems to me the RBC building would have to be more than 15 floors to be prominant on the skyline. The convention center hotel is going to be 16 stories and if RBC has chosen site 1 they will sit right behind it. It kinda sounds to me like it will be another building like Progress 2 which is virtually hidden when viewing the skyline from the typical angle they always show.

Hopefully they'll pick Site 1 if they can't go very tall and save the other lot for someone who can....

seems likely that this will be the case.

My guess is that we'll see a building of less than 15 stories on that site, which will still be prominent on the skyline, and should provide some good density and activity around that end of the mall. And, yes. It will leave the First Citizens and Progress sites for another day and a future major annuoncement that an as yet unknown corporation simply must locate its headquarters in downtown Raleigh. :)

^ Well, because the Site 1 building will be the southernmost building in the row, it could be the same height as Hannover One and still have impact, short term impact, mind you!

40story.jpg

Here's that rendering that I did showing what a 40-story building on Wilmington St. would look like. Imagine the Marriott plunked down in front of Two Hannover, and there is still a lot of unblocked space to the right for a mid-rise building to be seen. (don't misunderstand me, I want the 40-story building!!!) Hopefully RBC in 5 years will say,"You know, we need to look DOWN on Wachovia"

eastwest.jpg

Remember this Site 1 rendering. The office component is on the left. I wonder how much RBC wants to change this.

Archived