RBC Tower to rise as high as 30 Stories

Tayfromcarolina

Great news! Interesting statement too from the article:

Greg Hatem, a prominent downtown investor and landlord, said the size matters.

"We need to build in the 25- to 30-story range," he said. "If we keep putting up 10- to 15- story buildings on the few remaining parcels downtown, we'll kill the opportunity to create density."

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds to me like the convention center site is still in the lead, but I'd rather see the Highwoods proposal win, because (1) it's in the center of Fayetteville Street and (2) it's bound to be taller. It also seems to make more sense financially because of the existing Highwoods lease.

So, what it comes down to is visibility: while the Martin street location would be clearly visible from the east, west, and north, the convention center proposal puts the building squarely in the city's "postcard" skyline, and even a 15 story building would stand out. My guess is that RBC wants to have their logo planted squarely on those postcards - therefore, the convention center site is in the lead.

A couple of points:

A taller builing at the Progress Energy/1st Citizen's site gets rid of the bookend/buckteeth view of the Raleigh skyline. And it insures at least a 25-30 story building gets built there.

On the other hand, a 10-15 story building on the CC site allows for a more storied building in the future on the above mentioned site. So, let's say, in the next 10-15 years, a company want to move DT and build a 45 story building, they will be able to to do so. As my guess, the city will try to fill in the land they own on Fay Street quicker than 10-15 years.

Great news everyone!! RBC has narrowed their search down to two sites and are currently negotiating a deal with Highwoods for a 25-30 story building. I read the article this morning in the N&O.

Story can be read here:

http://www.newsobserver.com/104/v-print/story/365233.html

Hmm. wfdude beat you to the punch on that article.

This is good news, but probably not worth posting twice :rolleyes:

I really hope they go with the Martin Street location, since they'll be able to go taller to look down on

everyone else.

Also, in some redevelopment meetings i've been in, it seems they want the Fayetville Street "spine"

to get shorter as it approaches Raleigh Memorial Auditorium to the south.

The "all proposals include space for residents and retail but would not discuss details"

is a Good Sign that RBC wants it to not just be a 9-5 box. It also could be a good east-west "gap filler"

from City Market to the warehouse district and encourage development along the 100 block of East Martin.

Also, in some redevelopment meetings i've been in, it seems they want the Fayetville Street "spine"

to get shorter as it approaches Raleigh Memorial Auditorium to the south.

That makes sense as the B of A building is about 17 stories, so the site 1 structure (s) should step down in height from there, in the 10-15 story midrise range, as in the White Oak/Craig Davis/E-W proposal. I hope RBC chooses the Martin St site and builds big--30 stories. But, if not, as SS said above, it could open up that site for another even taller (30-35 story) signature building.

As for the Martin Street lot being the "only" space for a taller, signature building, there are several low rise buildings, especially on the 200 block of fayetville street, that I don't think have too much historical significance.

Hopefully in five years from now, after the RBC building's ribbon cutting, work will already be on the way for other buildings in downtown. The Hallmark/flower store, Chistian Science reading room/Dakota Grill, the former pharmacy across from CVS, the furniture store, etc. could all be cleared for something to make the Wachovia building nearby pale in comparison!

I really hated that on the 100 block of Fayetville Street, they put in the parking deck with *nothing* above it. They did a good job of "hiding" the parking with ground floor storefronts, but it was a wasted opportunity... I'm sure at the time they were just happy with the prospect of not having the surface parking lot that was there before.

I really hated that on the 100 block of Fayetville Street, they put in the parking deck with *nothing* above it. They did a good job of "hiding" the parking with ground floor storefronts, but it was a wasted opportunity... I'm sure at the time they were just happy with the prospect of not having the surface parking lot that was there before.

Agreed 100%. When it was first discussed that project was supposed to have offices and condos and dancing girls and I don't what all. What we got in the end was a parking garage with a sub shop in it. What a shame. Although yes. It's pretty, as parking garages with sub shops in them go.

I worked in the top floor of 133 Fayetville St. (now home to Empire Properties) and heard about some of the plans for that deck/area. At one time they were looking at putting a condo/apartment building on the wimington/hargett corner parking lot and in the air rights above M&F Bank (keeping on the Bank topic).

I don't know why that didn't happen, but think it would be cool if a building at least as tall as the old Mason's building went there, with a new M&F branch and coffee/snack shop on the ground floor, M&F offices for a couple of stories, and apartments/condos above that. This would add to the residents already in Prarie View up Wilmington, and create a larger market for the Empire project going in at the Hargett/Wilmington corner.

Still waiting for the Times Bar to open on hargett...

Agreed 100%. When it was first discussed that project was supposed to have offices and condos and dancing girls and I don't what all. What we got in the end was a parking garage with a sub shop in it. What a shame. Although yes. It's pretty, as parking garages with sub shops in them go.

What a shame...No building should be withouit dancing girls...Lets all raise our glass and have a drink to the dancing girls. Sorry Urbanesq...Not a shot at you but I loves the dancing girls :thumbsup:

As for the Martin Street lot being the "only" space for a taller, signature building, there are several low rise buildings, especially on the 200 block of fayetville street, that I don't think have too much historical significance.

Hopefully in five years from now, after the RBC building's ribbon cutting, work will already be on the way for other buildings in downtown. The Hallmark/flower store, Chistian Science reading room/Dakota Grill, the former pharmacy across from CVS, the furniture store, etc. could all be cleared for something to make the Wachovia building nearby pale in comparison!

Dakota Grill and Hallmark(behind a thick layer of stucco), are 90-100 years old and the Haywood Building looks to be from the 1920's. I say there is plenty of historical value there. Replace the M&F building with the midrise you mentioned...yeah I am for that.

Also, I believe the Moore Square parking deck was designed to have more structure built on top of it, presumably office space. Those poured concrete supports are the same size as the ones I watched being poured at Progress II. Not 100% on that but a longtime downtown government employee told me that

The president of RBC-Centura said that he was probably a little naive in thinking it would only take 60 days, and that this process has been more involved than he thought. He did say, however, he would not let the discussion drag on past the beginning of December, so hopefully we'll hear something before Christmas.

On the topic of parking decks, downtown Raleigh has way too many large parking decks. They take up a lot of space and contribute to blight, in my opinion.

The one under the convention center will be underground and out-of-sight,out-of-mind, but still. Do we really need more parking downtown. Particularly in that district. There's already a billion spaces around there (the Progress deck and the connected Convention Center deck next door; the two decks across Salisbury from the Sheraton and the BB&T tower, plus the Progress Center deck at South & McDowell. Do any of these decks even come close to filling up, ever?

And yet, no matter how many decks are built, people will always complain about "not enough parking" because they're too lazy to park in a deck and walk two blocks to their destination.

With the convention center deck, Raleigh's downtown parking needs should be met for the next 20 years. Or more. Actually, I hope that some of these decks - particularly the ones in prominent locations - can be redeveloped into something nicer.

out of curiosity...what convention center deck are you talking about... there won't be one under the new convention center... in the distant future they're talking about putting one under the square in front of the old convention center, but nothing under the new one... there is talk about using the site across from King's to build another.

On the topic of parking decks, downtown Raleigh has way too many large parking decks. They take up a lot of space and contribute to blight, in my opinion.

The one under the convention center will be underground and out-of-sight,out-of-mind, but still. Do we really need more parking downtown. Particularly in that district. There's already a billion spaces around there (the Progress deck and the connected Convention Center deck next door; the two decks across Salisbury from the Sheraton and the BB&T tower, plus the Progress Center deck at South & McDowell. Do any of these decks even come close to filling up, ever?

And yet, no matter how many decks are built, people will always complain about "not enough parking" because they're too lazy to park in a deck and walk two blocks to their destination.

With the convention center deck, Raleigh's downtown parking needs should be met for the next 20 years. Or more. Actually, I hope that some of these decks - particularly the ones in prominent locations - can be redeveloped into something nicer.

There will be a 1500-space, city-owned deck under the convention center hotel - and it was my understanding that this parking deck will extend under Salisbury Street and at least part of the convention center itself. I'm looking for floor plans to confirm this but I'm not finding them right away.

Archived