Is anyone using Google Earth?

bwindi25

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's no longer blurry at maps.google.com, either. Although, for many parts of the city, it looks like the pictures were taken through a green lens.

it looks like more then just the blurry areas got new photos. These must be from around 2005? I see the art museum area has been dug up, and construction was just going through the excavation stage then.

I think the green 'tint' is a combination of it being a cloudy day and it being near autumn.

Scroll north a bit and a some of the cloudiness disappears. You can tell it's autumn or later though. Probably after October - my folks have the winter-cover on the pool. :)

I said screw it to the program its very lacking in the 3d deparment for GR... So I built every single building downtown to the inch in a 3D Cad program... took me 2 years and it's still growing.

I know that SketchUp lets you export buildings to Google Earth... i suppose the question will be: can you export your already-made buildings to sketchup?

After reading some of the info on the Google message boards it looks like there will be some opportunities to upload CAD data. There also appears to be a way to draw the shapes and submit them through the KMZ format to the Keyhole message boards. I think a better image of Grand Rapids' west side should be the top priority. Sweet looking buildings on a fuzzy carpet just doesn't cut it.

I also tried submitting a place-marker to the board using KMZ. Apparently, when people have the Keyhole Community BBS layer checked, they will be able to see my post. I think it takes awhile for these to go live though. Right now, someone has place-marked all the disc golf courses around town. We could do the same for free wi-fi hotspots, historic buildings, colleges/universities, etc. It would be cool if people could link the various photos from this site to their actual locations in Google Earth. (no I'm not volunteering)

AutoDesk's Civil 3D will allow you to upload CAD data to Google Earth soon.

Lplan: If UP- GR can raise a capital campaign to pay for it -- maybe. :dontknow: I had thoughts about it, but I think that it would be cheating myself out. I would esentially be putting my efforts into open source... Wouldn't matter anway, all the files add up to about 900MBs and even with my cable modem it will take to much time.

Well I was waiting for the rest of GR to show up on Google Earth. I am glad it finally did, although that is a bit irritating about the haziness of the West side, and the Greenness of Grandville.

Oh well, still alotta fun to play with at work. :D

You know, there was a song on Bob & Tom this morning called D**king Around at Work!! I guess most of us are guilty of it, huh? :D

My good friend created the city of Detroit in 3D using SketchUp for a school project, and his work is now the 3D landscape of Detroit on Google Earth. So if someone puts in enough time and does Grand Rapids well enough, I'm sure that it can eventually make it onto their databases.

• 2 weeks later...

I find the combination of Google Earth and Sketchup very addicting.

So Here's a view of where my progress on my Fantasy Grand Rapids Skyline viewed from the Southwest at 196.

Progress on my Fantasy GR Skyline

In the foreground is an impossing NFL football stadium at the old Butterworth landfill capable of seating about 80,000 fans. Next to it in the foreground is a new innerchange I've added along with an extention of Weathly street to support the stadium as well as a Major League basball stadium hidden behind the NFL stadium. In the background is the developing downtown skyline Crowned by a very large 1600 foot prism shaped tower located in the Charley's Crab Parking lot on the corner of Fulton St. and Market Ave. and a 1400 foot edifice replacing the ugly post office at Michigan St. and Munroe Ave. The infill between the towers is a combination of existing downtown buildings I felt important to the character of the city, many of the new developments proposed or under construction, and developments I've pipwdreamed which are skyscapers ranging from 450 to 900 feet tall to help support the scale of the two dominate towers. Maybe in 20 to 50 years from now the real Grand Rapids, MI will look somthing like this or maybe not. But no matter, its sure fun to create some ambitious pipdreams.

Archived