Photo Tour of Port Warwick

urbanfan

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard of this area before and this is the first glimpse I've gotten of it. Very good pics! They show off the neighborhood well! A couple of questions about this area:

How large is the neighborhood? (# of blocks, ?)

Is retail space limited to those four-story buildings, and if so, how many of those buildings exist? (or estimate how many storefronts?)

Are people moving in yet? I saw some parked cars but storefronts looked empty and nobody is walking around.

I've heard of this area before and this is the first glimpse I've gotten of it.  Very good pics!  They show off the neighborhood well!  A couple of questions about this area:

Is retail space limited to those four-story buildings, and if so, how many of those buildings exist? (or estimate how many storefronts?)

Are people moving in yet?  I saw some parked cars but storefronts looked empty and nobody is walking around.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The entire neighborhood has somewhere in the range of three blocks wide by 20 blocks long. The way it is set up is that there is one main square. Two four story buildings on either side of it surrounding all sides of it except one. These buildings are two story live above units that you can see in one of these picks. The main square has a gazeebo where concerts are. On the left side of the square beyond the four story buildings is the residential component. They are all set up on rectangular blocks. Homes are very close together so there is no yard. But homes that face each other have one large square the length of the street for walking dogs playing and relaxing. I think I show one of these in my pictures. Then the houses back eachother and access to the garages are by alleyways behind the homes. So even though it is residential on this side it is very urban and walkable. Not like a typical suburban neighborhood. Everything is withing a five minute walk at the most. On the other side of the square behind the four story buildings are lower scale buildings mainly two story buildings. The length of this project runs along the csx track right behind it (literally) so when light rail comes through here this place will become even more of a hot commodity.

Retail space is mainly around the main square. Not just limited to the four story buildings though. The live above units have apartments on the second floor, and business or retail on the first. All of the buildings that have been built are occupied retail wise, with the exception of one that just finished. But they have signs for the stores that are coming in the windows. I took these pictures around 10:00a.m., not alot of people out at this time, come lunch time this place gets full. This area is more residential in nature so from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00p.m. the apartments are pretty much empty, but the retail is usually busy from shoppers. I would say that when all this is built out there will bein the range of about 80 storefront properties. Of which 40 or so are already occupied.

I've heard of this area before and this is the first glimpse I've gotten of it.  Very good pics!  They show off the neighborhood well!  A couple of questions about this area:

Are people moving in yet?  I saw some parked cars but storefronts looked empty and nobody is walking around.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Check out the website: Port Warwick

who's the statue for?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

These are not statues. Throughout the project are traffic calming circles which contain sculptures. All of these were done by artists and shipped in. There are 5 total so far and more to come. The design of this layout was inspired by the famous writer from Newport News William Styrone. One of his books portrayed a community called Port Warwick, and much of the layout is typical of what you would see in european cultures. The square is named for him. Styrone Square.

• 5 months later...

CNU Village is almost a defacto part of Port Warwick....It is a private development independant from the University that created student housing next to the Port Warwick area...In fact, you have to drive into PW to get to CNU Village...thus the area around the main square is much more bustling now with college students since the end of last year. Once Middleground Blvd is extended from Jefferson Ave to Warwick Blvd, PW and CNU Village will have an actual demarcation, but for now they are basically linked...

Once the road mentioned is extended, CNU, Port Warwick and City Center will theoretically be llinked in a linear manner, making public transit a viable option between the developments. Add to the fact that light rail is supposed to come down the length of Newport News, the whole center of the Peninsula is going to basically be around the Port Warwick/City Center area

• 1 month later...

Nice little town there! Is that what youd call a planned community? Those are popular, especially here in the Far West End of Richmond. The most popular ones here are....

Twin Hickory (website)

Wyndham (no website)

Innsbrook (website)

Wellesly (no website)

These are examples of suburban sprawl, where as Port Warwick and all similar projects from the HR threads are examples of new urbanism, infill projects, and mixed use centers, all of which are designed to maximize space and integrate with the surronding communities. Your examples are suburban in nature, which is fine if you prefer it.

Archived