Hartford's Big Night

ctman987

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Garris -- If you forgo Hartford this weekend, and decide to visit sometime in the future during the week, there's a little-known spot that has so far gone unmentioned in this thread and would be great for taking pictures: the top of the Travelers tower.

I haven't been up there in a few years, but all you have to do is ask at the front desk and a security guard will take you up to the observation deck in the tower. As I remember, you take the elevator as high as it goes and then have to climb up this tiny circular stair, and then you come out at the top of the tower. Great views in all 4 directions, and it's open-air, no glass to get in the way of photo-taking.

Also, I have been able to get on to the roof of my (former) condo building, Bushnell Tower, but every time I tried during the last year or so the door's been locked.

BJE

You know, I tried to get up there once and the security guard had no clue what I was talking about...I'll have to try again soon.

Garris -- If you forgo Hartford this weekend, and decide to visit sometime in the future during the week, there's a little-known spot that has so far gone unmentioned in this thread and would be great for taking pictures: the top of the Travelers tower.

I haven't been up there in a few years, but all you have to do is ask at the front desk and a security guard will take you up to the observation deck in the tower. As I remember, you take the elevator as high as it goes and then have to climb up this tiny circular stair, and then you come out at the top of the tower. Great views in all 4 directions, and it's open-air, no glass to get in the way of photo-taking.

Also, I have been able to get on to the roof of my (former) condo building, Bushnell Tower, but every time I tried during the last year or so the door's been locked.

BJE

I think they only open the Tower on weekdays, and at really odd hours. We used to take tours when I was assigned to the Travelers phone account, it's pretty much as he described it, and the views are fantastic. Your best bet would be to somehow contact Travelers security and see when the tours actually are...

found this info on the net if anyone is interested:

The Travelers Tower observation deck is open to the public on weekdays from May through October, free of charge. For more information, call the Travelers at 860-277-4208 or 860-277-0111.

I ended up going to the Wolf Pack game for opening night. Still not even close to being as fun as a Whalers game, but it was alright, especially since we crashed the Directors Suite and got plates full of shrimp as big as my cell phone....

• 4 weeks later...

Archived