Nashville Federal Courthouse Design Forum

smeagolsfree

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep. I guess I was expecting something more DoCoMo and less PoMo... more edgy and less boxy... taller and less squatty... more metal and less muddled... more Jetsons and less Flintstones... more Graves and less Swensson (as in Earl)... more unique and less antique... more integrated and less inflated... more attractive!

As a big fan of Graves work, I couldn't help but think that the government tied his hands so much that this is what you get.

So sleep on it guys, and if it's still this ugly in the morning, then kick her out of bed... no sorry... I mean be active participants in the next forums (or is it fora?)... Sorry I can't make them myself. Go ahead though and express yourselves in messages to the Civic Design group if you feel strongly about it. That's why they have those forums, right? Also, will someone find out for me why this building is so much smaller than the GSA's own study recommended?

G'luck.

i'm sorry but i've never liked micheal graves and kinda had the feeling this design would be another one of his tacky design...which it is........sorry nashville.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I completely agree... I was hoping this one would grow on me, but nothing yet. The earlier design, in my opinion, was much better. Is it too late to go back to the drawing board?

I've been on vacation for a while, but I thought I would add my thoughts on the design, reather belatedly. I am also somewhat disappointed in the design. It defintely looks like a courthouse, but there's nothing about it that seems exceptional for me. With all the highrises going up on Church Street, maybe a little more vertical design would have been appropriate. That would have allowed plenty of setbacks all around the structure for added security. I too would have liked a more modernistic design with more glass. The rotunda's not bad though. :)

Archived