Portland, Oregon

Garris

Thanks to everyone for the complements! I'm using a 1st generation Canon Digital Rebel SLR, but I don't believe that gear makes the photograph by a long shot. Click on my website link at the end of the post, and I challenge you to figure out which of my photos was shot with the digital SLR, and which with my previous $240 3 megapixel Canon A70 consumer camera. I bet you can't. It's all about light, timing, composition, and subject. Don't get seduced by megapixels! Unless you want to print posters bigger than 8 x 11 or you do a ton of cropping, it really doesn't matter.

Also, take a ton of shots! While I only have about 35-40 Portland shots I consider good enough to post for you all, I probably took several hundred in Portland, the rest of which I don't think are all that... A professional with high standards who sells his work for a living and runs a camera store once told me that if he gets just one "fantastic" photo he could sell out of a trip, he considers it a success. Any more than one sellable fantastic shot is a "miracle."

Continuing with the Portland shots...

The theme for today will be streetscapes...

Here's a look at the Regal Movie Theater off of Park (I think?)...

regaltheater9co.jpg

Looking North up Broadway towards Pioneer Square (I was afflicted by bad lens flare here... Does anyone know how to minimize this at night and change these to starbursts instead?)

streetlevel13rz.jpg

A coffee shop off of SW 6th Street...

streetlevel1xj.jpg

I honestly have no recollection which street this is... Maybe looking South on NW 2nd? Can a local help me?

streetscape15ve.jpg

That's all for today! More tomorrow...

- Garris

Providence, RI

I just saw these incredible photos of (in my opinion) the most incredible city in the United States and I had to join the forum. I am a little biased because I live there, but I think it is rightfully so. In answer to your question about the street, it's SW 2nd in between Taylor and Salmon I believe. NW doesn't start until you get north of Burnside. The whole system for streets is a little confusing, but it really helps in the long run.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Portland just seems so freakin' wierd!! I love it :wub:

Funny you resurrected this thread... I was going though my Oregon photos from this past September and uploaded some more:

Three Portland panoramas from different places

portlanddaypanoramasm7nv.jpg

portlanddaypanorama2sm1sh.jpg

portlanddaypanorama3sm2dk.jpg

Fireescapes on an interesting old building in Portland

portlandfireescapessm5lm.jpg

Sunset falls on the facade of an intricate old building in Portland

portlandlightandshadowsm2ck.jpg

A music store in Portland

portlandmusicstreetfront2sm5ll.jpg

A beautiful facade on a building in downtown Portland

portlandoldfacadesm9ib.jpg

Great retail signage on a historic Portland building downtown

portlandrugsignsm6wt.jpg

Reflections in downtown buildings in Portland

reflectionssm4ki.jpg

A bridge in Portland with a mountain or volcano in the distance (I forget which)

portlandbridgemountainsm3dx.jpg

The beautiful street stairway entrance of a wonderful old home on a hill overlooking Portland

houseentrance28cz.jpg

Not Portland, but some other shots of Oregon:

Streetscape of Hood River, Columbia River Valley, OR

hoodriverstreetscapesm0hh.jpg

The Columbia River Valley

columbiariversm9zn.jpg

Multnomah Falls, Columbia River Valley, OR

falls2sm4bf.jpg

Roof of a home overlooking the ocean, Canon Beach, OR

canonbeachoceanroofsm5du.jpg

Interesting old roof, Canon Beach, OR

canonbeachrustroof2sm1ca.jpg

I think that finally does it for Portland! I still have some photos from Canon Beach to go through, but those are hardly urban! Now to go through my Seattle shots!

- Garris

Providence, RI

Archived