Imagine 2.3 mill ppl moving to ur state in 25 yrs.

Lady Celeste

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, okay! I get it:

From the website:

This report presents forecasts for the 589 census tracts, 51 superdistricts, and 13 counties (Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, Paulding and Rockdale) which comprise the Atlanta air-quality nonattainment area. In this report, the term

Atlanta's MSA is 28 counties not 13, and its CSA is 32 counties. Add up the lot below and you get a number just short of 10,000 sq miles.

BTW, Lady Celeste, I used to live in Boca. The weather gets montonous after a while. There are two seasons. Hot & Miserable, and then nice and very very crowded. :P

12060 Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Metropolitan Statistical Area

12060 13013 Barrow County, GA

12060 13015 Bartow County, GA

12060 13035 Butts County, GA

12060 13045 Carroll County, GA

12060 13057 Cherokee County, GA

12060 13063 Clayton County, GA

12060 13067 Cobb County, GA

12060 13077 Coweta County, GA

12060 13085 Dawson County, GA

12060 13089 DeKalb County, GA

12060 13097 Douglas County, GA

12060 13113 Fayette County, GA

12060 13117 Forsyth County, GA

12060 13121 Fulton County, GA

12060 13135 Gwinnett County, GA

12060 13143 Haralson County, GA

12060 13149 Heard County, GA

12060 13151 Henry County, GA

12060 13159 Jasper County, GA

12060 13171 Lamar County, GA

12060 13199 Meriwether County, GA

12060 13217 Newton County, GA

12060 13223 Paulding County, GA

12060 13227 Pickens County, GA

12060 13231 Pike County, GA

12060 13247 Rockdale County, GA

12060 13255 Spalding County, GA

12060 13297 Walton County, GA

The CSA consists of the following additions

122 Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA Combined Statistical Area

122 12060 Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Metropolitan Statistical Area

122 16340 Cedartown, GA Micropolitan Statistical Area

122 23580 Gainesville, GA Metropolitan Statistical Area

122 29300 LaGrange, GA Micropolitan Statistical Area

122 45580 Thomaston, GA Micropolitan Statistical Area

122 46740 Valley, AL Micropolitan Statistical Area

Atlanta's MSA is 28 counties not 13, and its CSA is 32 counties.  Add of of the lot below and you get a number just short of 10,000 sq miles. 

Thanks sweetie. I stand corrected. The article however is specific in the counties it is using. I don't know why they only use this 13 county comfiguration. I can only assume that this is a Atlanta Regional Commission Study and not a census study. I based my calculations on only the counties listed in the article.

10,000 square miles. So the other 15 counties are rougly 6000 more square miles. Well after looking I guess that's about right.

BTW, Lady Celeste, I used to live in Boca.  The weather gets montonous after a while.  There are two seasons.  Hot & Miserable,  and then nice and very very crowded.    :P

Well I love water......I love sun......I love the beach.......I love palm trees.

Hot and Miserable you say, bwahahahahahahaha.......I have heard that before. That's too funny. I remember last December I was looking at the Weather Channel and they were talking about a cold front that had gone down into south Florida. They showed these people walking through downtown Miami in coats and they were walking like it was really blustery. Here I'm sitting and thinking "wow, it must be really cold down there!?!" Then the weather lady says "The high in Miami today will be 68 and tonight's low, 47." I could not believe it. You would have thought it was 16 degrees. *chuckle*

I guess I will have to keep a residence somewhere else then when I'm in need of some cold. I think the hurricanes have spooked my family from Florida. Atlanta gets cold but it doesn't snow enough for me. If you blink then fur season is over here. :(

I could talk all day but I know you don't want to hear me go on and on........ :whistling:

BTW, thank you for your information regarding the MSA and CSA. Valley, AL Micropolitan Statistical Area?????? Okay, that is so far away. Valley has to be a good hour and a half from Atlanta....and that's with a spirited driver.

The weather in S. Fla. sounds better than it really is. I really did get tired of it day after day with almost no change. I like snow too. But while our weather is very similar to ATL's I can drive 90 minutes from Huntersville and there is all the snow anyone could want in the Northern NC mountains. And the nice thing is, once you are tired of it, you can come home and leave it behind.

The weather in S. Fla. sounds better than it really is.  I really did get tired of it day after day with almost no change.  I like snow too.  But while our weather is very similar to ATL's I can drive 90 minutes from Huntersville and there is all the snow anyone could want in the Northern NC mountains.  And the nice thing is, once you are tired of it, you can come home and leave it behind.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of vcourse, you could probably say the same thing for people in Northern Atlanta, since they are so close to the mountains.

It's nice to live in states like NC and GA since they have such varied climates.

Just to clear things up so everyone is on the same page

The planning body ARC is responsible for the regional planning for 13 counties and it is those 13 counties that is the subject of the article projecting 2.3 million population growth in the next 25 years. That projection is not for the entire metro, only the 13 counties.

Just to clear things up so everyone is on the same page

The planning body ARC is responsible for the regional planning for 13 counties and it is those 13 counties that is the subject of the article projecting 2.3 million population growth in the next 25 years.  That projection is not for the entire metro, only the 13 counties.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

These counties make up the "core" of the Atlanta metro area, then.

Am I right?

These counties make up the "core" of the Atlanta metro area, then.

Am I right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I suppose you could call it that but, I believe the census defines the core of the big five metro counties.

Its just that we're talking about two seperate things here

1 - the census data which is used by the federal govt (28 county MSA)

2 - the regional planning body, ARC which governs 13 counties

The census definitions are based purely data....commuting, population density, etc

so it doesn't correspond directly with how the state chooses to govern these areas. Some counties in Atlanta's MSA are actually subject to regional planning bodies other than ARC.

Of vcourse, you could probably say the same thing for people in Northern Atlanta, since they are so close to the mountains.

It's nice to live in states like NC and GA since they have such varied climates.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well actually a 90 minute drive is quite a bit different that a 4 hour ride. I am referring to the Northern NC mountains that actually get significant snow due the the elevations found there. This is were the majority of NC Ski Resorts are located.

Martinman - you are on the job, you cleared that up well. ARC had been & is still technically a 10 county governing body. But due to EPA nonattainment & the Metropolitian Planning Organization (MPO) it plans for an additional 13 counties.

LadyCeleste - you were right. Those projections have nothing to do with MSA / CSA.

^ Atlanta is a large growing metro. Metro's need a clean & plentiful water supply. Though there are some other river basins, Chattahoochee is the primary one, but due to several factors - the river is not clean south of the city. Additionally, it may not be enough to provide drinking water in the far future.

Great point Teshadoh. A question that really needs to be directed to a growing metro like Las Vegas. They are dependant on the Hoove Dam for their electricity and their water (from the river of course). I should have posted this on their thread, but I am curious about how large metros growing at an exponentional rate will provide their citizens water from a VERY limited source. In the case of most Southern Metros we are OK. Charlotte (Catawba) and Atlanta (Chatahoochee). I think Atlanta will be fine, there is enough in the way of water to support 10,000,000 people in all of N. Georgia IMO.

A2

Well actually a 90 minute drive is quite a bit different that a 4 hour ride.  I am referring to the Northern NC mountains that actually get significant snow due the the elevations found there.    This is were the majority of NC Ski Resorts are located.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can get all the snow you want within a 90 minute drive north of Atlanta. There are ski slopes in N. Ga. too remember. Maybe not as many as around Boone NC, but there are some and the mountains are very tall.

Then, you can go several hours south of Atlanta and get the beauty and warmth of the Sub-tropical coast of Georgia. It really has the BEST of both worlds.

Well Atlanta southern metro are working together and getting their water from the Flint River, which coming from Pike County, and Pike County is growing at a rate of 33%, and i been down their and seen all the houses being built, and construction sites along highway 19 :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aside from the clean water issues (which Atlanta has worked to correct), development is the chief reason for the dwindling water supply in Metro Atlanta. All that development and sprawl prevents runoff from reaching lakes and rivers in the region. It's a travesty.

For anyone interested, Georgia Planning offers lots of information on how GA is dealing with growth in the state.

Aside from the clean water issues (which Atlanta has worked to correct), development is the chief reason for the dwindling water supply in Metro Atlanta. All that development and sprawl prevents runoff from reaching lakes and rivers in the region. It's a travesty.

For anyone interested, Georgia Planning offers lots of information on how GA is dealing with growth in the state.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

good point girly. I still think that with all the water sources in the SE, most metros like CLT, ATL, Raleigh, Jacksonville, Nashville, etc etc are a lot less impacted than cities like Vegas. Those cities really need to be concerned. If their water sources are compromised they will have a real issue. It's s desert for crying out loud. :lol:

A2

I truly think that the Beltway Porject should now become paramount.

The city should do everything to pull as many of these new 2.3 million people towards the city center as possible. Because the Betway will be touching areas that are suburban in nature, some families will probably be more inclined to move around the periphery of the Beltway. One thing must be considered in developing these areas....affordable housing. The city center will have to be attractive to more than just singles and childless couples. It will also have to be more attainable to people of more moderate means.

The Beltway is a major step forward in making the city center even more liveable.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe this has been posted here before but pictures always help tell the story.

GAMET.gif

I didn't realize that Atlanta'a MSA already "touches" several others. I know the counties in between, in most cases, are the more rural ones but could that mean a possible growing CSA combination in the near future?

teshadoh didn't I see a thread where you made some projections concerning this?

An interesting side note is little Calhoun / Gordon county which has remained economically self sufficient enough to be independent of any of the MSA's surrounging it.

Archived