OCOEE-COLONY PLAZA MOTEL RUIN

Rayman

• 9 months later...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DELETED

Does anyone have any current information about Colony Plaza? I am an owner of a timeshare there, and I am having a hard time getting any information. I know the place closed because of a fire and flood. What else is going on? Why hasn't it reopened yet?

I read an article on this mess awhile back. It's really tuned into an overgrown eyesore along west 50. There is absolutely no sign of activity. I guess it's mostly overseas individual investors and the management company has not kept anything up. What a real estate law mess.

I worked there when it was a hotel back in 1984 - 86. What a nice, friendly old place that used to be. It had a real international flavor to it because the man who ran it (not the on site GM but the guy above him who lived in out in Arizona) had spent 25 years working in Pan Am's Madrid sales office and had extensive contacts in the European and South American travel industries. We were always getting large tour groups from Germany, France, England, etc, as well as from the countries of South America. The people I worked with there were from all over Europe and Latin America, also. Everyone was very friendly and got along well. It was like being at a camp or something. The thing I really liked was that we all got to eat for free off the buffet every night. I have some very fond memories of that place. Shame to see it deteriorate so.

Thanks for all the replies!

We are extremely frustrated because we own a timeshare at Colony Plaza. We bought it 10 years ago, and the first five years were great! Then supposedly there was a fire, and the sprinkler system flooded the place. What we heard was that the damage was 3 million dollars and the insurance company would only give 1.5 million, so they went to court to battle it out. Then a couple of years later, we heard they were moving on with the restorations. We live in Colorado and have heard nothing from anybody. Every number we call is a dead end. :huh:

Does anybody out there know what our rights are as far as the law is concerned? We own the timeshare out right. We now believe that the property has been condemned and the taxed have not been paid. We do not want to lose our money. Does anybody know who we can talk to in order to get our money back out of the place? We are out of ideas and need help!!

Thanks!

'Dude', a recent article in the local newspaper said that this was pretty much a done deal to have it demo'd and and the area rebuilt. There were two ar three hold outs who were waiting for the money to be refunded, and your telling me that you are one of those two or three? The Mayor of Ocoee would love to hear from you! <_<

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies!

We are extremely frustrated because we own a timeshare at Colony Plaza. We bought it 10 years ago, and the first five years were great! Then supposedly there was a fire, and the sprinkler system flooded the place. What we heard was that the damage was 3 million dollars and the insurance company would only give 1.5 million, so they went to court to battle it out. Then a couple of years later, we heard they were moving on with the restorations. We live in Colorado and have heard nothing from anybody. Every number we call is a dead end. :huh:

Does anybody out there know what our rights are as far as the law is concerned? We own the timeshare out right. We now believe that the property has been condemned and the taxed have not been paid. We do not want to lose our money. Does anybody know who we can talk to in order to get our money back out of the place? We are out of ideas and need help!!

Thanks!

We, too, are frustrated because we bought into this property as time share owners and we cannot find anyone to hold accountable. Maybe there is strength in numbers? Let's share any information we have - you can contact me directly through the forum email. Thanks!

Disappointed Family of Four in VA

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

'Dude', a recent article in the local newspaper said that this was pretty much a done deal to have it demo'd and and the area rebuilt. There were two ar three hold outs who were waiting for the money to be refunded, and your telling me that you are one of those two or three? The Mayor of Ocoee would love to hear from you! <_<

2 other replies after yours reveal themselves as timeshare owners too...so THERE are the 3!!! :wacko:

In any case, SOMETHING needs to be done...I drove by there yesterday and could see about 5 or 6 transients trying to get in the building. The lot is so overgrown by scrub and underbrush...also, the building looks as if it will collapse any day now. I wish Ocoee would be as vigilant with their urban blight as much as Winter Park and Maitland are and SUE the property owners or use Imminent Domain.

...also, the building looks as if it will collapse any day now.

Having spent quite a bit of time there, albeit many years ago, I can tell you that building isn't anywhere near falling down. It's all reinforced concrete just like any other similar size building. I'd like to see it remodeled and re-opened as either another hotel or apartments with some time share units.

I do know somebody that bought into this and there is a lawsuit in the works. Apparantly a lot of the people that bought were from central and south america and it was sold like it was right next to disney. I met with the lawyer about 2 years ago and it didnt look to good. However, if anybody want the name of that lawyer to contact PM me, i am sure i can research the name again.

• 1 month later...

I work for the city of Ocoee. The Colony Plaza is in a SERIOUS state of disrepair. Thieves have gone in and ripped out most of the copper wiring in the electric rooms. Copper pipes have been ripped/cut from the ceilings. Most of the glass is broken out on the first floor. EVERY room in the north tower (the one with interior corridors) has been broken into. They could not break the locks, so they kicked in the drywall next to the lock, reached in, and unlocked the doors. On the other tower, about 40-50% of the windows to rooms have been broken out. The pool/patio area is completely overgrown. It is a big mess. The entire place looks like a scene from post WW 3 movie, or something like that. I seriously doubt this place will ever be up and running again. The building is still structurally sound, it's not about to fall down.

There is not just one owner of the place. Every person who owned a condo or timeshare is an owner. Each property must be foreclosed on individually. There are over 300 individual owners. The process is going to take a LONG, LONG time.

I work for the city of Ocoee. The Colony Plaza is in a SERIOUS state of disrepair. Thieves have gone in and ripped out most of the copper wiring in the electric rooms. Copper pipes have been ripped/cut from the ceilings. Most of the glass is broken out on the first floor. EVERY room in the north tower (the one with interior corridors) has been broken into. They could not break the locks, so they kicked in the drywall next to the lock, reached in, and unlocked the doors. On the other tower, about 40-50% of the windows to rooms have been broken out. The pool/patio area is completely overgrown. It is a big mess. The entire place looks like a scene from post WW 3 movie, or something like that. I seriously doubt this place will ever be up and running again. The building is still structurally sound, it's not about to fall down.

There is not just one owner of the place. Every person who owned a condo or timeshare is an owner. Each property must be foreclosed on individually. There are over 300 individual owners. The process is going to take a LONG, LONG time.

They can. They still have to foreclose on EVERY owner individually. That is the time consuming problem. The Colony Plaza is the largest foreclosure in the history of the State of Florida. If it was just Days Inn (they were part owner) that went bankrupt, it would be a simple foreclosure. Did you own a time share or condo there? I was very surprised that someone answered my post so fast.

They sold this project to people in puerto rico and venezuela by placing newspaper ads. i personally know somebody who bought in it. I pretty much told them to let the bank foreclose on it. There was a lawyer in winter park who was handling the lawsuit to the developer, but i dont know what has happened to that.

They sold this project to people in puerto rico and venezuela by placing newspaper ads. i personally know somebody who bought in it. I pretty much told them to let the bank foreclose on it. There was a lawyer in winter park who was handling the lawsuit to the developer, but i dont know what has happened to that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived