Skyliner

Pleasantburg Drive Corridor

25 posts in this topic

There has been a great interest to recreate Pleasantburg Drive into a bustling business corridor with catalysts such as the Palmetto Expo Center renovation and addition, and McAlister Square/Greenville Tech expansions. With the Greenville Downtown Airport and I-385 access located right in the center of a large, busy city road, is anything standing in the way of the dream becoming a reality? Below is a link to an interesting website, but it appears to have not been updated in over a year. :huh:

Pleasantburg Drive Business and Technology Corridor

Yeah, money issues is what is standing in the way of making this dream a reality. :( . I hope though they get enough federal grants and money to make it happen.

I don't see anything standing in the way necessarily, but like downtown, this transformation will not happen overnight. The speed of the transformation will also depend on the growth of Gville Tech, University Center and the other education institutions in the corridor.

Additionally, growth of the city in general will have an effect too. If ICAR really takes off and lots of new residents move in as a result, then the demand for the types of development P'burg hopes to attract will increase.

The success of repositioning the Expo Center will also play a large part of the success of the corridor in general as well.

According to the Gville News, Walter Brashier is donating the Steak And Ale location (valued at $1.6mm) to North Greenville University.

The 7,000 Sf building may be used for continuing ed. and/or extention offices for develpment and admissions.

Wow, long time since this thread has been updated.

The vacant lot (.68 acres) at the NW corner of Cleveland and Pleasantburg has been bought by the Greenville Tech Foundation.

Driving by McAlister Marketplace (the strip center in the McAlister Square parking lot, next to the Camelot movie theater) today, it seems like McAlister Marketplace is almost now totally dead.  The sole remaining tenants are a church and a nail salon or something.

Is it being redeveloped, or is it just finally succumbing to the mall's fate and dying on its own?

There is only one vacant space in that center right now. There is Nevada Bob's, Elite Golf Academy (no sign), Freedom Fellowship, a nail salon, and All About You hair salon.

Not sure if anyone knows more info. Workers were putting up an Available sign at the corner of Pleasantburg and Lowndes Hill Road by the QT. Had a picture of a 3 or 4 story building with brick and glass and looked to be an office building. Maybe the start of a small upswing for the corridor?

I live near there and would love to see that corner developed.

The old Gospel Hour site is being redeveloped next to the cemetery. I wonder if the city will annex it being next to the city line?

City can't just annex something, the owner has to request to come in to the city.

From the Upstate Business Journal regarding last Thursday's Design Review Board meeting:

Another project called Renaissance Place along Pleasantburg Drive, next to Pecknel Music, was also informally reviewed. The area was approved as Planned Development many years ago but plans were put on hold during the recession. The developer is now requesting to leave the residential portion of the PD in place for future needs but wants to modify the commercial portion.

There are three separate parcels and will be sold and developed as such. Preliminary plans showed a dentist office a future office building, a restaurant and a Goodwill store.

Edited by vicupstate

That's not a bad site plan! I hope this goes through as well! 

Honestly they should wait about the year. The city has something in store that would greatly help the developers from a business case perspective.

Also, with the current plan...I would personally want the trail connection to have more of the developments focus rather then just off to the side.

if the city has something going on in the area I am sure they have let them know.

The old DMV property at Laurens Rd. and Pleasantburg has sold. $1.6 million for 10.16 acres on 2/15/17. Hopefully we will see movement on this long-planned project.  

1 person likes this