Pleasantburg Drive Corridor

goodbye

I don't miss Uptons, but I kind of miss Ivey's.

I wish someone would set up a tribute site to Greenville's long-gone malls (the DeadMalls.com and Sky City entries don't have store lists or lots of photos).

I also wonder if McAlister Square could have been saved as a retail center.  If the owner had wanted to remodel and reconstruct large parts of the mall once the department stores left, surely it could have been repositioned as a power center with a Target and the like, right?

Edited by PuppiesandKittens

15 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

I don't miss Uptons, but I kind of miss Ivey's.

I wish someone would set up a tribute site to Greenville's long-gone malls (the DeadMalls.com and Sky City entries don't have store lists or lots of photos).

I also wonder if McAlister Square could have been saved as a retail center.  If the owner had wanted to remodel and reconstruct large parts of the mall once the department stores left, surely it could have been repositioned as a power center with a Target and the like, right?

I often wondered why a fourth anchor was never added to the front. It would have been very visible--right on 291. Come to think of it, they could still do it--if not enough room for a Target, something similar.

That is, if "they" were a real estate investor and not Greenville Tech.

I guess the timeline didn't work: Belk added ca. '74, GM opened in '78, HM in '80 or '81; Dan River went back to Danville in the mid-80's. J. E. Sirrine was bought out by CRS some time later. Greenville National's startup and HQ wasn't enough to stem the decline of that area.

Agreed.  I always wondered why JBWhite didn’t move from Greenville Mall to McAlister Square in the early 90s, too.

McAlister Square just seemed to be the mall that didn’t have to die.  It seemed fully leased until it dropped over dead, very quickly, unlike Greenville and Bell Tower Malls, which limped along, half-vacant, for years, and the Fresh Market across the street, Publix and movie theater indicate that there is demand for retail in the area.

9 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

GV Tech could probably find a developer to redevelop the site in stages and have a mix of retail, housing, and school. Kinda like County Square. 

Maybe that’s where the county departments that aren’t going to stay on the county square property can move to. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.greenvilleonline.com/amp/1433425002

The county will be getting a $60 million, five-story glass-and-steel government building out of the deal, but services on University Ridge such as the public health department, motor vehicles, Social Security and family court will be relocated.

Also, where is the building that is being torn down located? I’m not familiar as to which stores used to be there. 

11 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

GV Tech could probably find a developer to redevelop the site in stages and have a mix of retail, housing, and school. Kinda like County Square. 

Great idea.  There is so much surplus parking space at the site- soon with a vacant anchor pad- that I wonder if GT has thought of that.  McAlister Square and Plasantburg Shopping Center both could be redeveloped into a large mixed-use development.  Too bad we’re building stuff way out in suburbia instead.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, vicupstate said:

MFD 18-978 Application by W. Norman Hamilton for a MULTI-FAMILY DEVELOPMENT on 3.7  acres located at 254 S PLEASANTBURG DR (TM# 0266000130101).

This is directly across from McAlister Square. It is an office building with a large  surface lot.  

The empty building next to SCDOT?

4 hours ago, vicupstate said:

MFD 18-978 Application by W. Norman Hamilton for a MULTI-FAMILY DEVELOPMENT on 3.7  acres located at 254 S PLEASANTBURG DR (TM# 0266000130101).

This is directly across from McAlister Square. It is an office building with a large  surface lot.  

Hmmm. Multifamily fronting 291 in an area that's historically office-park-ish. Be interesting to see--I suppose the 4-story building will come down?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2018 at 1:41 PM, vicupstate said:

Pleasantburg Senior Housing

It looks like the existing building is not affected.  I suppose that might be part of a later phase?? 

A proposed senior-living, multifamily development on 3.7 acres at 254 S. Pleasantburg Drive was presented for informal advice and comments from the panel. The developer will be buying a certain parcel of the property and ground-leasing another portion, including the parking lot shared with a neighboring office building, making major alterations to the site plan more complicated than if the developer owned the entire property.

The panelists were unanimous in recommending the plan be revised to include more green space for the residents.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2018 at 2:53 PM, vicupstate said:

A proposed senior-living, multifamily development on 3.7 acres at 254 S. Pleasantburg Drive was presented for informal advice and comments from the panel. The developer will be buying a certain parcel of the property and ground-leasing another portion, including the parking lot shared with a neighboring office building, making major alterations to the site plan more complicated than if the developer owned the entire property.

The panelists were unanimous in recommending the plan be revised to include more green space for the residents.

Most recent submission:

Pleasantburg Senior Housing

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 11/30/2018 at 3:15 PM, vicupstate said:

Site grading permit issued for this. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
12 hours ago, Galley said:

Does anyone know what's happening on the large plateau at intersection of Pleasantburg and Keith Dr.?  They have been clearing it for a couple of weeks.  There were plans for a development on that site, but that was 2008-ish.

The  Enclave Apartments project on the old DMV site from 2015?

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/real-estate/developer-envisions-urban-village-for-former-dmv-site/

Edited by vistatiger