Favorite Virginia Vacation Spot?

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yea someone finally said something! I like going to JMU but its for the crazy parties :)..... One of my favorite things to do is go canoeing on the James on an overnight trip and just camp out with friends on one of the islands.... Went camping at Douthat State Park once... it was pretty cool. I have a lot of friends that have river houses on the rappahannock as well. It's always fun to take a day trip to the beach for the day. They've got some funny signs on the boardwalk like the one for no profanity. :)

yea someone finally said something! I like going to JMU but its for the crazy parties :)..... One of my favorite things to do is go canoeing on the James on an overnight trip and just camp out with friends on one of the islands.... Went camping at Douthat State Park once... it was pretty cool. I have a lot of friends that have river houses on the rappahannock as well. It's always fun to take a day trip to the beach for the day. They've got some funny signs on the boardwalk like the one for no profanity. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Locals usually stay away from the oceanfront, except for coratan and sandbridge. Believe it or not alot of people go to the OV beach to stay away from the tourist crowds. OV beach is really turning out nice from its Ghetto past. Massanutten is awesome place to go as well, even during the summer! :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a JMU alum I appreciate that. Until 2004 I was throwing some of those crazy parties! I can't wait to go back for Homecoming. :alc:

Indeed so! JMU is a great college town and they know how to party on South Main Street. One time, i helped coordinate a 3 house party. So many people came, id say at least 200. I was getting numbers from jersey girls :thumbsup: that were going to JMU since im in NJ at the moment.

Other places in VA, here they are:

Lynchburg, to visit the beauty of the city and its on the edge of the mountains.

Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive, for a day drive.

Sandbridge(?) if i am correct, down in VA Beach south of the touristy beach area. Been to plenty of beachfront parties there in 2002.

I-81, exit 92 in the town of Draper, there are many lakefront homes along the New River. Again, lots of partying there!

Kerr and Gaston Lakes

Assateague/Chincoteague Island area in the upper eastern shore part of the state near the MD border. Also gotta add the CBBT which carrys US 13 between the Delmarva and VA Beach.

Virginia [parties] is for lovers :alc:

hahaha I have some friends in forest hills to I think... town houses for the block parties right? totally off the hook... I'm pprobably goin down there in a couple weeks..... a little crazier than gmu that's for sure :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, that's the neighborhood. Made famous by the 2000 riots haha. The following year there were more cops on the street than students! I don't know if the big August block party happens anymore, but as long as something is still going on there, that's good news to me.

BTW, what is social life at GMU like? Many student parties or are people more likely to go into DC, etc?

a mix of both... the drawback is that there aren't large areas of apartments that are almost exclusive to students (like Ashby and forest Hills etc)....Reason is that the cost of living up here is insane. For example..they are building some townhouses next to campus that are starting in the low-900's! It's crazy. So when things go down, they are scattered all over the place. I've never been somewhere here where I could just walk from apartment party to apartment party like I can when I go down to JMU. Stupid NoVa and its over-priced cost of living....

#1 Spot: Charlottesville

If only Cville had a beach, it'd be perfect. It's a great place to bike whether you want road or mountain. Monticello and the University are beautiful historic spots. Driving on the winding country roads outside the town is fun. 20 minutes out are the Blue Ridge Mountains which are beautiful in fall. In the town you have world-class dining and fantastic local coffeehouses that beat out starcrack. There's the artsy downtown mall and all the coeds on the Corner. The Lawn at UVa during fall is beautiful but the spring scenery is better, if you catch my drift.

#2 Spot: The Forgotten VB

Sprawling subdivisions, tourist-trap resort, and the wanna downtown TC are what come to mind to most people. VB for me is Seashore State Park (First Landing for the newbies), the Old Cape Henry Lighthouse, 81st St beach on a weekday summer morning (no one there), biking to the Thoroughgood House, and driving through Pungo.

#3 Spot: Williamsburg/WM

There's just something about stopping at Aroma's in Merchant's Square, grabbing a latte and walking around William & Mary's sunken gardens that makes you forget about the drive from Tech, Madison, Cville, or DC or that long day spent in lines at Busch Gardens.

#4 Spot: The Cascades

#5 Spot: The new Downtown Norfolk

#6 Spot: Driving Route 60 (between Williamsburg and Cville) or Route 29 (between Cville and DC)

I need to visit the real Richmond (not just the pit stop known as Short Pump) and old town Alexandria (I don't think Rosslyn or Fairfax qualify as exciting spots in NoVa).

hahaha well I was actually helping remodel a kitchen one day in Suffolk this summer, and on the way back we got sooooo lost. We ended up in olde Town Portsmouth (which was pretty cool by the way). Didn't end up in Norfolk, but I saw both skylines. I was in Norfolk a few years ago at Nauticus. Very cool place as well. And this spring I went to the beach for the day. And if you guys include Williamsburg in HR, I went to Busch Gardens this summer and last year went to Jamestown...stopped briefly in Colonial Williamsburg. I do some shopping at the outlets sometimes as well.

hahaha well I was actually helping remodel a kitchen one day in Suffolk this summer, and on the way back we got sooooo lost. We ended up in olde Town Portsmouth (which was pretty cool by the way). Didn't end up in Norfolk, but I saw both skylines. I was in Norfolk a few years ago at Nauticus. Very cool place as well. And this spring I went to the beach for the day. And if you guys include Williamsburg in HR, I went to Busch Gardens this summer and last year went to Jamestown...stopped briefly in Colonial Williamsburg. I do some shopping at the outlets sometimes as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep Willamsburg is part of the 757. Suffolk, man you were out there ehh.

Archived