Grand Rapids City Life

GRGridGirl

Let's share info on upcoming events and opportunities on how to get more involved in this city.

Last night I went to the Dyce Productions fashion/art/music show at the beautiful postal garage on Commerce and Cherry. For a first event, it was an incredible show. The site was perfect, the weather was awesome, and the diverse crowd was 700+; it gave me a GR Wow! Did anyone else go? I hope the UW allows more people to use that site for events. If you missed it, go to Dyce Productions.

Tuesday, September 13th, check out the Grand Rapids Young Professionals (GRYP) 7am breakfast roundtable at the Bridgewater Building.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any recommendations by the membership on the best on-line listings of GR-area events either on a weekly or monthly basis? Often the GR Press calendar listings are extremely hard to find on their website, but I do have the ON THE TOWN listings bookmarked (here is the link):

on the town

(and pasted separately in case it doesn't work)

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/advance...pers/onthetown/

Any other suggestions of online GR-area events directories would be welcome--love to ad some to my bookmarks

:)

Any recommendations by the membership on the best on-line listings of GR-area events either on a weekly or monthly basis?  Often the GR Press calendar listings are extremely hard to find on their website, but I do have the ON THE TOWN listings bookmarked (here is the link):

on the town

(and pasted separately in case it doesn't work)

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/advance...pers/onthetown/

Any other suggestions of online GR-area events directories would be welcome--love to ad some to my bookmarks

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I mentioned this site before, but I have found that GRNow does a pretty good job:

http://www.grnow.com/

So, how do YOU participate in adding to the vitality of this city? You blog, take pictures, speculate on projects, and give vision to vacant spaces. That's great, but I'm interested to know at what level do you participate? Do you serve on a Board of Directors, do you volunteer, do you go to planning & zoning meetings, what do you do?

The Jude's BABErshop thread resulted in action by metrogrkid. It was an interesting, honest conversation. We all have our views on society, it is not always easy to open up and discuss the differences between us.

Well, are you an urban change agent or are you along for the ride?

Oh and Andy112129, in regards to your following comment:

"I would applaud you or anyone else who opened a business that was made all feel welcome. But, isn't the "make everyone feel welcome" motif what makes the suburbs and chain stores so bland and depressing?"

In my opinion, "making everyone feel welcome" is not found in suburban chain sprawl land, it is found in diverse business districts and neighborhoods. That's the beauty of diversity, it doesn't cater to one crowd. The more mixed-use, mixed-income sustainable neighborhoods GR has, the more welcoming our city is to all.

To tie this back to this thread, I don't see one or two online sites as the best for info about events. In fact, some of my favorite events have been passed by word of mouth. It's the word on the street.

I heard Dan Burden from walkable communities will be in GR Wednesday. He's traveling the state for Cool City walkable audits. He's a great source for photos.

peace out. Grid Girl

So, how do YOU participate in adding to the vitality of this city? You blog, take pictures, speculate on projects, and give vision to vacant spaces. That's great, but I'm interested to know at what level do you participate? Do you serve on a Board of Directors, do you volunteer, do you go to planning & zoning meetings, what do you do?

The Jude's BABErshop thread resulted in action by metrogrkid. It was an interesting, honest conversation. We all have our views on society, it is not always easy to open up and discuss the differences between us.

Well, are you an urban change agent or are you along for the ride?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right GrGridGirl. I wasn't sure who you were referring to (probably everyone), but I would like to get more involved. I do go to some of the Planning Commission Meetings, and I volunteer my time to a couple of different organizations, but we could all do more. I had read about the Golden Shoe campaign, and that is a great idea!

some of the gr cultural organizations will place you on their email lists of forthcoming events, sometimes without even being a member, although they vary on this. the urban institute email list gives detailed synopses of their movies, and wmeac also will regularly email their activities, some of which never seem to make the "offical media" lists...

does anyone know whether wealthy theater has an email list to join? is there a web site yet? :)

some rather shameless plugs, but:

G-RAD has an indie focused events calendar with an iCal subscription at:

http://www.g-rad.org/cal/

and the portable cinema project is taking this week off, but next will be back showing annie hall in the sixth street park on the 22nd for free. there is a google group at: http://groups.google.com/group/portablecinema

I can't believe I forgot to mention this next weekend, in which I am participating. The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) West Michigan is having their annual walk-a-thon at Ah-Nab-Awen Park at 10:00 AM Saturday the 24th, and needs volunteers. If you would like to help out or get some walking in for a great cause, check it out here:

http://www.jdrfwestmichigan.com/volunteer.html

Thanks.

Did anyone else go to the Chili Cook-off yeserday on Lagrave and Fulton? I had a really good time. There were a lot of people there hanging out and enjoying good food. Also had good music from a Ted Nugent looking guy with his band. Next year I might even have to compete in the cook-off. It was neat to hang out in the street and be able to get a drink at One Trick Pony at the bar they had set up in an open window.

i just returned from maine. i have a house outside of portland...

gr is anti-coastal, but its home....somebody needs to loan me $5 dollars..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey sleestack, I'll give you $5 if you tell us how your special place is coming along?? ;) Taking reservations yet?

Hey sleestack, I'll give you $5 if you tell us how your special place is coming along?? ;)  Taking reservations yet?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no need to pay. the special place is in escrow now awaiting the previous owner to put his terms on the table. i havent resorted to the rat in the hot bucket yet....but rats are standing by.

sitting in maine this past 2 weeks i realized what grand rapids needs to be sucessful.

an ocean.

but this building will do. it will be the lighthouse of change....changing Gr into a city of the future, something closer to the present date....2005.

we will usher in great changes moving past std. GR loft condos with more walls than a moblie home.....i night club filled with 3rd deg. blk belt ninja dressed security....the ultimate in safety. ninjas. whos gonna start something with a ninja w/ a bowstaff?

people just want to live! not be encased in musty brick and gyp. board coccons!

you dont need a porsche to be a developer.

right joe? joe jr.? joe sr.? joe III, joe IV,

I'd like to know more of this development.  We do have an ocean.  It's 30 minutes to your west.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We just need to see something built tall enough to SEE IT! :thumbsup:

All joking aside, how cool would that be! Someone here know how to figure out the angle of descent/curvature of the earth to figure out how tall you would have to go to have "Lake Michigan Views" LOL? Figuring straight West of downtown is probably Port Sheldon Township, with virtually no hills of any relevant size to come into play....and about 30 miles West to be safe, straight out M-45.

BTW mrknow, that sounds great! Can't wait to see more details.

Wow! That would be cool if you could see that far. On another subject, a lifelong GR resident is presenting his entire series of historic postcards of Grand Rapids from the 1880's to 1930's at the Ryerson Library Auditorium Wednesday night at 7:00. Thomas Dilley has been collecting Grand Rapids historical information for more than 40 years. Some of you might think "boring", but I would go if I didn't have other plans.

http://www.grpl.org/services/programsSep05.html

This Saturday, September 24th:

I will be at the Grand River Clean Up at the Sixth Street Park.

I will cheer for the Diabetes walkers.

I will stop in to the Fulton Street Farmer's Market.

I will go to Wealthy Street Alive and connect to the Wealthy Theatre Wireless Network.

I will head to the Eastown Streetfair and look for the Golden Shoe.

As much as we need rain, I hope it holds off for Saturday's outdoor events.

See you on the street!

Grid Girl

This Saturday, September 24th:

I will be at the Grand River Clean Up at the Sixth Street Park.

I will cheer for the Diabetes walkers.

I will stop in to the Fulton Street Farmer's Market.

I will go to Wealthy Street Alive and connect to the Wealthy Theatre Wireless Network.

I will head to the Eastown Streetfair and look for the Golden Shoe.

As much as we need rain, I hope it holds off for Saturday's outdoor events.

See you on the street!

Grid Girl

I will expect that you will need all of Sunday to recover from such an aggresive schedule. :D

Archived