PWCD COMMITTEE PROJECT NEXT I

metrogrkid

Your post just begs the question:

If GRAM must remain isolated from other buildings, and it isn't tall, and is made of left-over road construction materials (e.g. concrete slabs)  for "security", then WHAT IS GOD'S NAME IS IT DOING IN THE MOST IMPORTANT SITE IN DOWNTOWN GRAND RAPIDS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!

That sentiment has been pissing me off since they chose THE MOST VALUABLE PIECE OF URBAN REAL ESTATE BETWEEN CHICAGO AND DETROIT to build what will amount to 16-hours of dead space daily (museums regular hours are 9a-5p, people). The rare "special event hours" that the museum will be open will in no way ever compare to what should have gone there - THE TALLEST BUILDING IN MICHIGAN / THE HUB OF THE SKYWALK SYSTEM / A WORLD-CLASS MIXED-USE HIGHRISE IN A LARGER-SCALE VERSION OF THE METRO CENTER PROJECT (heck, one could have just taken Metro Center, put it on steroids, placed it at the Museum site and been done with it - OH WELL :( ).

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sentiment has been pissing me off since they chose THE MOST VALUABLE PIECE OF URBAN REAL ESTATE BETWEEN CHICAGO AND DETROIT to build what will amount to 16-hours of dead space daily (museums regular hours are 9a-5p,  people).  The rare "special event hours" that the museum will be open will in no way ever compare to what should have gone there - THE TALLEST BUILDING IN MICHIGAN / THE HUB OF THE SKYWALK SYSTEM / A WORLD-CLASS MIXED-USE HIGHRISE IN A LARGER-SCALE VERSION OF THE METRO CENTER PROJECT (heck, one could have just taken Metro Center, put it on steroids, placed it at the Museum site and been done with it - OH WELL  :( ).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All the more reason, as I mentioned in the Art Museum thread, that this project be BIG and BOLD to take back the focal point of Rosa Parks Circle from the new Art Museum ;)

And don't forget, it is shaping up to be a dreadful looking building. I'd almost trade the Applied Technology Center from GRCC's campus for the new art museum. It's a close call, but I think the ATC would win by a nose.

I hope when it comes together I am terribly wrong, but I'm not too optimistic... :sick:

Joe

That sentiment has been pissing me off since they chose THE MOST VALUABLE PIECE OF URBAN REAL ESTATE BETWEEN CHICAGO AND DETROIT to build what will amount to 16-hours of dead space daily (museums regular hours are 9a-5p,  people).  The rare "special event hours" that the museum will be open will in no way ever compare to what should have gone there - THE TALLEST BUILDING IN MICHIGAN / THE HUB OF THE SKYWALK SYSTEM / A WORLD-CLASS MIXED-USE HIGHRISE IN A LARGER-SCALE VERSION OF THE METRO CENTER PROJECT (heck, one could have just taken Metro Center, put it on steroids, placed it at the Museum site and been done with it - OH WELL  :( ).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I certainly hope you're right publius. It does sound nice when you frame it that way, but will that truly be the end result?? Another thing that troubled me was that the Art Musuem proposed taking over control of the bandshell at Rosa Parks Circle. I wouldn't support that at all, personally. I am not one to propose putting high-rises all over downtown, but adding a nice mix of low, mid and high (and more high than we currently have going up :) ).

Maybe we should keep this discussion to one thread :P

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...15entry203513

In my humble opinion, what is going to be key for this building is its relationship to the street. As long as there are plenty of windows and transparency, it should be fairly successful.

Keeping the location a lowrise was critical to not overpower Rosa Parks Circle and the turn of the century architecture that lines Monroe Center. Now I am all for buildings taller in downtown, but there are many other places that are better locations for a tower.

Hey guys. This was the atrium I was thinking of, but push that front corner out more at the top:

parqueat321619863%5B1%5D_crop.jpg

Dad:

That photo brought out this vision for the project site where your "over Monroe" idea would culminate in a glass-enclosed escalator landing/entrance at the edge of Rosa Parks Circle. The ideas are really starting to flow, man!

-Metrogrkid

Dad:

That photo brought out this vision for the project site where your "over Monroe" idea would culminate in a glass-enclosed escalator landing/entrance at the edge of Rosa Parks Circle. The ideas are really starting to flow, man!

-Metrogrkid

This style of atrium may also fit nicely right in the corner pocket in front of Campau Plaza Building with the "not over Monroe" version. Either or ;)

As one of the people that attended this meeting last Wednesday night, I would like to report to everyone that it was definately worth my time and energy to be there.

GRMetrokid had a solid agenda, and was very instrumental in keeping things running according to schedule and on time. Also, he brought a lot of good insite to the discussion. A very professional person to deal with.

GRDadof3 had an approach very similar to mine, in that his enthusiasm for downtown was very helpful in bringing out some great ideas. He is very passionate for downtown, and consider him a real asset to have in this group. It was nice to have someone to bounce ideas off of that had a similar vision to mine for downtown.

GRCentro was the quiet one of the group, but when he did speak he also brought some great insight into what we were looking to accomplish. With his experiences in living in other cities, he can provide real some world experiences on what will work. Also, his artistic skills will be very valuable when we get to actually drawing up the plans.

Overall, it was a great experience, and look forward to moving this project from concept to completion. And for anyone that is even considering showing up, I would highly recommend doing so. The more we can get people with different ideas involved, the better the results we will end up with.

Sorry to not include you Josh, but didn't get enough time with you before you had to leave to form an opinion. From what GRmetrokid said, though, you really brought a lot to the table with the previous project.

Can you please explain the details of this project.

I read the previous posts and I just don't "get it".

I also have a question:

Are the current owners of these properties looking for ideas for what to do with these buildings? Do they know that this effort is going on? The ideas look great, Im just curious on what their interest is. Thanks! :)

I also have a question:

Are the current owners of these properties looking for ideas for what to do with these buildings? Do they know that this effort is going on? The ideas look great, Im just curious on what their interest is. Thanks! :)

I thought that metrogrkid would follow up, but guess not. The current owners will not be informed until a thorough, well thought out, awesome proposal is ready to be submitted to them. We are trying to think of every objection that might be raised and squash it before it comes up, and come up with a project that will make all parties involved A LOT OF MONEY, and make downtown a world-class visitor center as well as thriving residential center.

metrogrkid, I think we need to move our schedule up, after having my epiphany this morning ;) This needs to be fast-tracked!

• 2 weeks later...

Our follow-up meeting yesterday went well. We're continuing to refine the options for the building's massing and to identify the important features. We missed you GRDad, Prankster, and Josh, but hopefully we'll see you at the next meeting: Wednesday, Nov 9.

With the recent upgrade to JW Marriott, this project's location is now even more so esteemed for a high-density, high-end retail hub between the three major hotels, arena, and convention center. Keep the ideas flowing!

Archived