African-American rise in southern cities...

EastSideResider

Some of you still aren't getting the point...Blacks move into cities and inner cities...Whites tend to move to the suburbs...So you can say 100,000 blacks will probably move to Houston and 100,000 whites would probably move to some quiet suburb outside of Houston...I'm not sure but if you look at like that, that could be mean for the rise in some cities....

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of you still aren't getting the point...Blacks move into cities and inner cities...Whites tend to move to the suburbs...So you can say 100,000 blacks will probably move to Houston and 100,000 whites would probably move to some quiet suburb outside of Houston...I'm not sure but if you look at like that, that could be mean for the rise in some cities....

Blacks move into inner cities? That's a rather definitive statement.

I can't speak specifically of Houston as I am not a citizen of that city but I can however speak for metro Atlanta. Although it is correct that the evacuees from NO have not only been black but other races as well, I will only limit my comment to black evacuees and their impact on Atlanta's (city) population. Sonofaque I can almost without hesitation say that 90% of the evacuees who have settled here in Atlanta have NOT settled in the inner city Atlanta but rather the suburbs and in some cases the far suburbs. Perhaps Atlanta is the exception. I definitely feel that, with the transfer of population out of New Orleans to other major southern cities, one would be hard pressed to see such a swell as this thread initially proposes.

A rise in metros or smaller, more homogenous cities perhaps but not major cities.

Archived