How many people are scooting or pedding?

yeah!

I've been lurking around these boards for a while now, I registered a few weeks back, and now i'm making my first post. I've had a great time cruising the boards for finding out what new developments are going on and finding great links like grnow and others, so thanks for the info up to this point!

Now, I'm curious, how many people on here are pedding around town. I've been looking to move back downtown (I've lived in the oakwood, and numerous places in eastown) and recently picked up a yamaha razz to use as my main form of spring/summer/fall transportation downtown, now that it seems to be a more pedestrian friendly area.

I'm pretty excited about my purchase and am planning on keeping it at a friends house on the hill (who also has a ped) until i get a place down there, so that i can enjoy the jaunts to martha's or down to the dog pit.

So, post up if you are getting 100 mpg and having a good time doing it, or if you have comments about my newfound form of transportation!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on your purchase. I love scooters and have been close to buying one many times. I spend a good ammount of time at the racetrack over the summer with my sportbike so a scooter is a must for getting around the paddock and other areas of the track. I guess I'd use it around town a little but I'm just not sure yet. Are you planning on locking it up like you would a regular bike? I'd be worried someone would just pick it up.

I've been lurking around these boards for a while now, I registered a few weeks back, and now i'm making my first post. I've had a great time cruising the boards for finding out what new developments are going on and finding great links like grnow and others, so thanks for the info up to this point!

Now, I'm curious, how many people on here are pedding around town. I've been looking to move back downtown (I've lived in the oakwood, and numerous places in eastown) and recently picked up a yamaha razz to use as my main form of spring/summer/fall transportation downtown, now that it seems to be a more pedestrian friendly area.

I'm pretty excited about my purchase and am planning on keeping it at a friends house on the hill (who also has a ped) until i get a place down there, so that i can enjoy the jaunts to martha's or down to the dog pit.

So, post up if you are getting 100 mpg and having a good time doing it, or if you have comments about my newfound form of transportation!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent to hear about your ride. I have used a motorcycle for the past 2 years, and will continue to do so, as to not support saudi gas. I hope that many more will consider this. The more of us there are, the safer the roads will become. I am happy to say I have only filled my tank 5 times since may. Alos, as an activist, I would recomend the Dept of Energy list of what companies buy gas from Saudis(the terrorist that took out the WTC). Please, check out their site and buy from America.

More scooters, bikes, skateboard and all that conserves!

• 7 months later...

Excellent to hear about your ride. I have used a motorcycle for the past 2 years, and will continue to do so, as to not support saudi gas. I hope that many more will consider this. The more of us there are, the safer the roads will become. I am happy to say I have only filled my tank 5 times since may. Alos, as an activist, I would recomend the Dept of Energy list of what companies buy gas from Saudis(the terrorist that took out the WTC). Please, check out their site and buy from America.

More scooters, bikes, skateboard and all that conserves!

Hi there! It's been ages since I last posted. The construction over here on Campau is nuts! I'm growing quite fond of my wooden tunnel though! I'd like to ride my scooter through it! Speaking of scooters.... <_<

I want to ride my little Spree to work and trying to find a place to hitch it up is challenging. Now, just on the I think west side of the Marriott Courtyard parking ramp, as if walking toward the blue bridge, I see an old hitching post. I wonder if I'd get in trouble putting my scooter there? Anybody have any good advice? I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

Welcome, yeah!

What a coincidence---my husband and I lived at the Oakwood for eight years. We loved our apartment so much that we were married in it! We're now homeowners in Eastown, but I often dream of the Oakwood.

I own a 2006 Vespa, 50 ccs., and a three-speed bicycle. Both bikes are my serious transportation, and not "fun" items. (Although you can't help but have fun on a Vespa.) It's encouraging to see both forms of transportation increasing on Grand Rapids' streets.

My miles-per-gallon is consistenty at 75 mpg. I gassed up the other week....total cost, for 92 octane, $3.62! Oh, the horror! When will these gas prices go down! What is Our Oil doing under Their Sand! :D

Please consider driving your Yamaha Razz everywhere, and leave your car (if you've got one) behind. Hell; sell it! It's obsolete anyway!

Happy scooting!

WEAR A HELMET.

Welcome, yeah!

What a coincidence---my husband and I lived at the Oakwood for eight years. We loved our apartment so much that we were married in it! We're now homeowners in Eastown, but I often dream of the Oakwood.

I own a 2006 Vespa, 50 ccs., and a three-speed bicycle. Both bikes are my serious transportation, and not "fun" items. (Although you can't help but have fun on a Vespa.) It's encouraging to see both forms of transportation increasing on Grand Rapids' streets.

My miles-per-gallon is consistenty at 75 mpg. I gassed up the other week....total cost, for 92 octane, $3.62! Oh, the horror! When will these gas prices go down! What is Our Oil doing under Their Sand! :D

Please consider driving your Yamaha Razz everywhere, and leave your car (if you've got one) behind. Hell; sell it! It's obsolete anyway!

Happy scooting!

WEAR A HELMET.

Yes Indeed!! Now, just where to park it?

I've got a Honda Metropolitan. Can't beat 100mph!!

Veronica - i'm not sure where you work, but have you asked the building owners if there's a place you can park it? I pull mine right into the shared lobby! Or are there any city bike racks in the area? You could always call the city or police department and ask if it's going to be an issue to lock your scoot to something.

I have been riding mopeds in town here for about 3 years. There is a growing following of people interested in these cheap means of transportation.

And the registration fees are very cheap too.

Mopeds= under 50cc $15 bucks for 3 years, no insurance needed.

scooters= i think you register like a motorcycle.

Some scooters can be registered like a moped if they are under 50cc.

Keep in mind It is only a moped if it has pedals everything else is a scooter.

We have a group of 12 moped riders that meet and founders brewery every monday night at 6:30 pm.

We are the Grand Rapids Ghost Riders and are a branch of the Moped Army, mopedarmy.com if you are interested in finding a moped stop by and we can see what we can do, we have many connections to get people mopeds.

MY SCOOTER WAS STOLEN!!!! :cry:

This probably isn't the place to post this so forgive me and/or direct me if you will.

Remember last week when I was asking where was a good place to chain up my scooter? Well, I thought I had found a really good spot, at the back corner of our building just off the blue bridge. I put it off into the shrubs by a co-workers window and way off the sidewalk!

Anyway it's an old 1986 Honda Spree - black. It was last seen in the projects on Franklin and Division. I filed a police report and we search daily. A couple of distinctive things about it are the rear tail lights are bent inward due to the bike falling over (over the years) and the rearview mirror is one of those funky round ones that sits atop a long rod off the handle bar. It's an oldie but a goodie! My husband just loves it and we miss it badly. :(

If anyone spots it please email me. Thanks. V

• 2 years later...

The Channel 8 guy was filming at our scooter meetup at Kava House last evening. He interviewed me, but I think I flogged my dog-walking business a little too hard to make it onto the air.

What a beautiful sight: a line of 27 scooters or more! And when we take to the streets as a group? Strictly poetry in motion. For those who are interested (and who isn't?) here's our forum website:

http://www.grscooterclub.com/forum/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=1

We are the Mods,

We are the Mods,

We are, we are, we are the Mods!

The Channel 8 guy was filming at our scooter meetup at Kava House last evening. He interviewed me, but I think I flogged my dog-walking business a little too hard to make it onto the air.

What a beautiful sight: a line of 27 scooters or more! And when we take to the streets as a group? Strictly poetry in motion. For those who are interested (and who isn't?) here's our forum website:

http://www.grscooterclub.com/forum/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=1

We are the Mods,

We are the Mods,

We are, we are, we are the Mods!

Archived