Interesting Article on Mayor Riley

Spartan

I usually do not post random articles like this, but I found this one on Planetizen.com today... thought I would share. Here is the abstract, which does an excellent job of summarizing the article, which is from "The Planning Report."

The City of Charleston, South Carolina, first elected Joe Riley as mayor in 1975. Since then he has won re-election seven times. He has served longer than any other contemporary U.S. mayor and overseen dramatic changes in his city. Mayor Riley led successful efforts to revitalize the downtown, develop public spaces, improve children

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the article did not address quite a few things, and I think the reason for that was the article looked at things in general that most mayors in cities of America would do. I agree, Spartan, the interview totally ignored the failed areas on the Eastside and northern part of DT. It also did not address other issues that I have with the mayor: lack of adequate street lighting throughout many areas of the city (James Island, West Ashley, and even some parts DT), tedious development issues with the city's Board of Architectural Review, and prevention of the construction of the last leg of the Mark Clark Expressway.

• 3 weeks later...

^Well, there is some truth to that, but I think the REAL reason why Mayor Riley has stayed in office for so long is that there has not been a single electoral candidate running against him that has shown leadership, confidence, and intricate future plans for the city. The candidates always tried to run against him with short-term goals when they needed to emphasize their long-term plans for the city in future years.

I think one thing that has allowed Riley to remain in office so long is that everyone seems to realize that whether you agree with him on a particular issue or not, no one really doubts his sincerity. The man lives, eats, breathes and sleeps urban issues. He loves his city with all his might, and if he supports something, you know it's only because HE believes it is in Charleston's best interest.

If he had devoted more attention to his race for Governor in '94, and a little less to the Navy Base closing, he would probably have won. Putting the city itself ahead of his own ambitions bears out my point.

Archived