Tallahassee Baby Capital

97preludesh

Hmm, ive lived here all my life, and Ive been into Tallahassee, and Love Tallahassee, but I can't stand it how when everyone comes here from out of town they say its so small. We have such a wussy city it pisses me off. I love Tallahassee, but we need to get some young city and county commisioners into office who arent so conservative and want to develop this city.

On a side note.

Tallahassee is a very well planned city, and very smartly developed.

The new publix on Park and blairstone is a great example of urban infill... Also, the Lake ella publix shopping center was dead for years until publix revived it. If you go to other cities I think Tallahassee has a very small percentage of empty shopping centers. We make sure that we use what we have before we build more.

Heres the kicker. Like i said I was born here and always lived here. I have had never wished for anything more than I had truly. Our infrastructure is great, we have all the national cell phone providers, excellent coverage, utilities in the city and most of the county, 2 malls, movie theatres..... THE BEST PARKS IN AMERICA. I really dont understand,,,, what else could we possibly need.

This thread may seem hypocritical but i was thinking while i wrote it, so take it as it is....

Basically I dont care for us to grow anymore...... Its a great city.....

I do like tall buildings downtown so keep making those bigger, and im sure in the next 10 years, our city will be great

by then, sweet I 10 overpass ramps.........

Airport gateway road

gaines street

performing arts center

BIG downtown

Cap circle widened...

Yea, forget the 1st paragraph i love Tallahassee.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoa.. thats deep yo!

I'm feelin you. Like you I've been here my entire life. While I wasn't born in Tallahassee, its pretty much all I know, at least all I'd like to know. I've not lived a sheltered life from larger cities. I've lived in them, and visited them and each time I return, I thank the Lord God he gave me Tallahassee.

There's something special about this great, plain, wimpy little city. The more I learn about Tallahassee, the more I love her. From her history as one of Florida's oldest cities, to her antebellum charms, and modern day luxuries, Tallahassee is truly the city I'd choose if I were an old person looking to settle down and live out my golden days, or a father seeking a good place, with great schools, and excellent quality of life for my children to grow up in.

When I'm in Tallahassee, crime doesn't cross my mind, although we do have our share. Overall this is a dern clean city, where even the blight looks good. And you're right, preludish, we do a great job using up our vacant space before we go out and build new. I like that alot about this community.

Unlike you, I think Tallahassee needs to double in population for her true potential to be obvious. Meanwhile, lets aim at growing our core... that downtown SHOULD be big as you suggest, to better reflect our population. We're almost a city of 200,000 people! We better get our act together downtown.

Meanwhile, I say give us a serious tourist attraction, like a theme park or race track... and nothing can stop us.

If I wanted big and developed....I'd move to Atlanta.

I love for Tally for what it is. You might be stunned at the number of folks who don't want to live in a concrete jungle.

I have lived in Seattle, New York City, Atlanta, Ft Lauderdale, and many other large towns (also lived outside of Tokyo). Give me little (and I don't think it is that small frankly) anyday of the week.

Go visit Tokyo someday and you will see what unrestrianed development gets you. Do that and fly back to Tally....you will kiss the ground and thank god for space, trees, and some peace.

^He makes a good point. St Joe does.

I'm one of those whose not impressed by great amounts of traffic, flyovers, skyscrapers, but I do feel in an urban environment there is a place for them. Tallahassee has a few issues that could be resolved with the addition of downtown housing, and office space, therefore we need mroe of the tall buildings. We also have road linkage and capacity problems, therefore we need bigger better roads. Then there's the whole "make it convienant" thing, everything from restaurants, grocery stores, banks, and schools should be within a decent range from our homes, so we have a little work to do there...

But we don't have to swell up into a concrete jungle in order to accomplish this. You're right! And like St. Joe, when I return to Tallahassee from places like Chicago I nearly do fall down and kiss the ground... I always say, there's something special about this city... there is.

Well, I seem to recall that Tallahassee almost had a minor league baseball team.  It's a pity that didn't pan out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As far as that Minor league team goes... DeVoe Moore was going to bring us one. There was the whole issue with the property he wanted to put the stadium on, concerns that it was a wetlands... not sure exactly what that property is now after the grazing of those waterbuffalos and the bulldozers now. But the talk is that he plans to build his new car museum there... it would have been nice to have a baseball stadium with those cars parked in glass boxes surrounding the facility.

I wonder if in all truth Tallahassee could support a minor league baseball team. Does anyone have a thought on this? We seem to be a football-dominated town between FSU and FAMU, not to mention the high school action. FSU has had great baseball teams of course, but would a minor league team be successful? I truly have no idea.

minor league baseball is a waste in Tally.

FSU has a top 5 program then you have FAMU and TCC baseball.

Let's support those programs. COT has enough money in sports...put some in the arts.

FYI, DeVoe Moore just donated $25 Million to FSU with the potential for the gift to grow to $50 Million.

Well, I tend to want to agree that minor league would be swept under the rug, but then there's that something that makes me not want to rule it out. This market has surprised me at times.

I think Tallahassee is prime for some type of sporting venue outside of the college, or school related. I truly enjoed the Tallahassee Thunder when we had them, and I feel their primary failure was due to lack of funds for promotion. I'd give a finger or two to get them back, that was truly the hi-light of my weekend during the winter and spring months.

DeVoe has been actively pumping money into the school... I just wish the Ol' Guy would jump start some major economic boom, or build us that theme park we so badly need. It would be perfect on his interstate property.

The COT best bet for an 'economic boom' is for FSU to become an AAU or top 50 research university.

Yes, you can hope Microsoft will relocate headquarters in Tally, but as far as realistic hopes....FSU is the #1 hope. You could say the same about any small town with a major research university. It isn't about FSU, but about MAJOR RESEARCH UNIVERSITIES. Few folks, especially the COT and it's politicians, understand the impact and opportunity of them.

TK speaks at length regarding FSU's impact:

http://www.fsu.edu/~pres/pages/state_of_uni_05.html

"Our city within a city has a total budget of about $1.3 billion. That

I like the facts & figures you used in your argument and I applaud the manner in which it was presented. It really impressed me that you were able to quote figures in such detail.

When you look at things, as a big picture matter, FSU, being one of Tallahassee's major instituions, not an island on its own, will help to enhance the cities chances of an economic boon. Other factors such as the status of state capital, Florida A&M, TCC, highly educated and young work force can only serve to help.

"When you look at things, as a big picture matter, FSU, being one of Tallahassee's major instituions, not an island on its own, will help to enhance the cities chances of an economic boon. "

The big picture is, the city doesn't differentiate between the players and that is why it loses. You can't deem ABC liquor to be on the same scale as say Microsoft if you are a Seatlle politician. That is in fact the way the COT often treats FSU. It basically ignores the weight of FSU and the end result are nutty decisions and directions that hurt the COT and FSU. You can do this when you are a politician...but in the real world, you look small time and that is why Tally struggles to diversify economically.

speaking of bad COT economic decisions and bad politicians....

did you see this?

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee/12638250.htm

"County staff, during a workshop, found that the EDC was unable to provide documentation for payments to the Greater Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce over the past three years totaling $1.06 million. The chamber and the EDC share office space, personnel and other resources."

not to mention the EDC brings NO jobs to the area....unless you want to try and take credit from the Mag Lab for attracting that Canadian company. But the EDC had nothing to do with that.

The COT is just BAD at attracting business because it operates like the key stone cops in comparison to the Austin, TX or Raliegh, NC of the world.

"The big picture is, the city doesn't differentiate between the players and that is why it loses."

I think we fail to differentiate between our governments here. COT means City of Tallahassee for all intensive purposes. The EDC means Economic Development Council, it recieves funding from the City of Tallahassee, Leon County, and other local economic engines, but it is not a department of the city, but a branch of the Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce. Operating as a 501 Public/Private organization, the EDC's board of directors consist of local government, business, education, and economic development organizations, including -- Florida State University.

I think the City of Tallahassee does an excellent job at not only communitcating the vision and direction our leaders would like for this community, but of also implementing their plans within the constraints of our city budget. One thing you can't say about the City of Tallahassee is that it does a poor job handling its people's money.

Which is why I didn't rag on them too harshly when they witheld funding from the EDC this year.

The EDC had not created or retained any jobs in the past year, and therefore had not fufilled its portion of the agreement. Truth is, the Canadian compnay can benifit from the use of the MagLab facilities greatly, but, it is the EDC who has been selling the Tallahassee Community to this company. It was the EDC who raised the funds for the incentive package. It was the EDC who traveled north to meet with company officials, not FSU or MagLab scientist.

Because the EDC represents several different entities in this community it is easy to give them credit for the good work they do, as well as assign blame for what they do not. The EDC is Tallahassee's team of leaders committed to bringing economic prosperity to this community, not the City of Tallahassee's.

The City has its own Economic Development department that labors daily for the better interest of this city. This department can be credited for many of the projects we've been discussing, such as Gaines Street, Gameday Center, Plaza Tower, Symphony Condos, College Parkl condominiums among other things. These people don't sit on their hands all day, and I won't sit here and pretend to not notice their good efforts.

If you want to point fingers, ask yourself when was the last time LC, Leon County, did something major economically?

Tallahassee is a beautiful city. I visited there for the first time a few months ago. I was very impressed with the city. Everything is well developed. The one thing I noticed was that the new developments have kept a lot of the trees. Tallahassee seems to keep its development under control. Coming from Columbus (presently in Atlanta), I can say that I like the way Tallahassee is being developed. In Columbus and Atlanta, developers bulldoze every tree! Yes, I love Columbus's growth, but I believe Columbus should take a look at how Tallahassee does its new developments. Both cities are very similar in size and are growing at a fast pace. I'll been down Oct. 7 to visit some friends. I can't wait to see Tally again!

Tallahassee is a beautiful city. I visited there for the first time a few months ago. I was very impressed with the city. Everything is well developed. The one thing I noticed was that the new developments have kept a lot of the trees. Tallahassee seems to keep its development under control. Coming from Columbus (presently in Atlanta), I can say that I like the way Tallahassee is being developed. In Columbus and Atlanta, developers bulldoze every tree! Yes, I love Columbus's growth, but I believe Columbus should take a look at how Tallahassee does its new developments. Both cities are very similar in size and are growing at a fast pace. I'll been down Oct. 7 to visit some friends. I can't wait to see Tally again!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ATLman,

I agree.....I love how Tally keeps the trees at developments and on road construction. I think Tally is building in a positive way (although I want more parks). Enjoy your trip to Tally.

I've always thought that building a 2 or 3 sheet ice rink (perhaps one can be artificial turf instead of ice) with a 4-5,000 seat arena out in Killearn might work. The size would be able to attract a low level minor league

hockey team (The Civic center was just too big, which killed the Tiger Sharks), It would provide a home rink for the FSU hockey team (who has to play in Orlando or Jacksonville), and could be used for other stuff as well.

Well, I tend to want to agree that minor league would be swept under the rug, but then there's that something that makes me not want to rule it out. This market has surprised me at times.

I think Tallahassee is prime for some type of sporting venue outside of the college, or school related. I truly enjoed the Tallahassee Thunder when we had them, and I feel their primary failure was due to lack of funds for promotion. I'd give a finger or two to get them back, that was truly the hi-light of my weekend during the winter and spring months.

DeVoe has been actively pumping money into the school... I just wish the Ol' Guy would jump start some major economic boom, or build us that theme park we so badly need. It would be perfect on his interstate property.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah... hehehe... who'd a thunk it?!?! Saw them beat the gators once,... 1-0. the goalie kept dancing (fsu's) and it was great. I miss watching hockey. the season will be nice, but tv vs arena is a no competition. I miss Brad Richards, Cal Ingram, Luie Bernards fights! Tally Tiger Sharks... why are you now Macon Whoopie?!?!?!

tough one.... people like to sit inside. But i think we should really push turnout for some other athletics in the area. Forexample, Highschool sports. Football in particular is fun to get out and watch. We do good about getting our palyers scouted. Seminole girls soccer, volleyball, along with famu and tcc matches for all sports. Getting out and seeing some quality athletic competition doesnt have to support the pocket of richies... but maybe the oppertunity for other kids to play what they love in front of an appreciateive crowd.

Back to the proposition. I like sitting inside for the hockey games... but tally is full of fair-weather fans who will not watch a loss wheather its inside or out. I think we could have a larger turnout for baseball.

I agree... I think turnout would be better for baseball... I just don't see Hockey going over as well as some think it might. Baseball will at least bring out the "country folk". I think the true secret is building a following, like Bowden has with the Seminoles. Thats what the Tallahassee Thunder was lacking, a true following... all because their first season wasn't a successful season, and there wasn't all that much hype surrounding the Thunder. I LOVED THEM! And cried when they left... seriously.

I think to enhance interest in our high school atheletics, Leon County Schools should use some of that Half Penny sales tax money and build a stadium downtown for Championship Games, and each school should use their own stadium for home games. I know this is controversial, which is why I've propsed it... I like to stir things up.

Say we bulldoze Gene Cox... sell that property and allow a developer to put a water park there... complete with the ferris wheels, and child amusement rides, aquarium, and some other animals. It could be a zoo/waterpark! Wouldn't that be great! They've been talking about alternative uses for the fairgounds for some time... here's their chance.

I think visitation among schools will spark true rivalries... unlike what we have now, where any school pretty much feels at home at Gene Cox staidum because they all play there... with exceptions of Chiles I think. Just a thought... I know its controversial.

Honestly... I think the fair grounds and that stadium are out of place on that particular piece of property... I can't say I have in mind where exactly they should go, but I don't thing thats the spot anymore. That spot would make a great zoo... I could see Giraffes, Elephans, Zebras, and kids with cotton candy there. It would go well with Jack McClain Park right across the street... with a bridge over the road lit with Neon Lights and cutout images of Kids playing with their balloons.

The creative juices are flowin... watchout people!!

Archived