Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SMLG

Urban Decay in Buffalo - Buffalo Central Terminal

The Buffalo Central Terminal in Buffalo, New York is a truly fascinating building. Built in 1929 and in decline about 25 years later, it was abandonned in 1979 and left to rot. What resulted was a truly magnificent specimen of urban decay that is without equal in my travels. It serves as a monument to an era gone by, and its tombstone, and a warning to those who love old buildings.

For more information on the BCT, here is the preservation society's site.

42179089_348fd94188_o.jpg

42179069_b17bd8e03a_o.jpg

More photos here or on my photoblog, below.

Very nice photos. So Detroit isn't the only city with an abandoned train station, haha. I must say that Buffalo Central Terminal appears to be in much better shape than Michigan Central Station.

It's nice to see that there is a group working to get Buffalo Central Terminal restored though...it is a magnificent building.

How interesting. The exterior on the building is beautiful.

What's the deal with these tours? The CTRC web site makes brief mention of them, but nothing else. Is this how you got into the building?

I also liked on their web site how the "Future" section just says "Coming Soon." I don't know whether or not the humor was intentional.

I have seen alot of photos of this building -- is there any possibility of saving it? could it become a cultural center of some sort? I grew up near Rochester, NY -- never visited this building but would love to take one of the tours sometime.

Man, you hate to see buildings just rotting away like that, it looks like it was a nice building at one point.

I looked at the gallery at the preservation society's website and it sure did look like it was beautiful back when it was being used. It annoys me that places like this and the Statler Hotel and Madison-Lenonx (both in Detroit) can't be preserved.