Columbus Projects & Developments

ATLman1

EDIT: I have relocated some posts here, so hopefully we will now have some consitency in location for Colubus projects and developments. :) -Spartan

Here is a rundown of some of the projects under construction or soon to be in the Columbus area.

1) AmeriSuites Hotel (5 floors with around 80 rooms)

2) Spring Harbor at Green Island (massive retirement community to open this

month http://www.springharborccrc.org/)

3) Restaurants (another Red Lobster, TGI Friday's, 6 FireHouse Subs, Starbucks,

Locos Deli and Pub, Back Yard Burger's, Johnny Carino's, etc.

4) 2 Wal-mart Supercenters (yuck, how many do we need!)

5) Amos Cancer Center (downtown at 5 or 6 floors)

6) BMW and Acura of Columbus moving to a new facility in North Columbus

7) Gold's Gym (another one)

8) North Highland Church is building a 2,600 seat auditorium

9) National Infantry Museum on Fort Benning (expected to attract 300,000 people

(per year.)

10) Housing market is booming. Population growth over the next 2-3 years is expected to be around 25,000 new residents because of Fort Bennings expansion.

11) Multiple strip centers popping up on every corner

12) new Columbus library (retail, residential space is to surround the new building)

13) Riverwalk extension through a condo development in the old Eagle and Phenix

mill downtown.

14) Columbus State University's $40 million dollar downtown campus addition with

two 5 story dorm buildings and a 500+ 5 story parking deck. Also, another

parking deck is being built on main campus. Soccer complex is now finished.

15) $1 billion+ in new construction on Fort Benning

16) Brookstone School is undergoing a multi-million dollar expansion (looks like

a college campus!)

17) Two new elementary schools and a new middle are soon to be under

construction.

These are just a few of the new things that I know of under construction around the city. I am sure there are more and if I find out I will be glad to share with you guys.

Edited by Spartan

to ATLman 1's comprehensive list, I would add the new Rails -to-Trails pathway

designed to connect downtown to CSU campus and beyond -- which is coming on line

within a year or so. Nice complement to Riverwalk. What is interesting about it is that

downtown terminus will be old 14th St bridge which will be turned into pedestrian plaza with cafes overlooking new whitewater. Everything seems to be coming together for whitewater, with construction (actually, destruction) sheduled to begin next year. Could be running the rapids thru downtown by 2007. Can check out new pathway at

www.columbus.wkdickson.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Atlanta developer receives $500,000 grant, now awaits low-income and historic tax credits for an apartment complex for seniors. The developer of the $13 million project plans 101 two-bedroom units. The complex will include amenities such as a fitness center, a media center, sitting areas and craft rooms. The developer's preliminary plans call for demolishing about 70,000 square feet of the 200,000-square-foot mill. The plant's signature smokestack and water tower will be retained. A portion of the structure that is to be razed stands in the right-of-way of the future widening of Talbotton Road. Residents should be occupying the facility by fall 2007.

• 2 weeks later...

A few new Columbus metro developments:

1) The Wyndham Hotel downtown has been purchased by Marriott. Marriott will

be a great addition to downtown.

2) More good news for Callaway Gardens in Pine Mountain. A $20 million dollar 5 story 150-room hotel and spa will be built beside the Southern Pines Conference Center by September 2006. Also, 611 new homes are planned inside Callaway Gardens as well as other new facilities.

• 2 weeks later...

The Columbus Wyndham Hotel that is located downtown has finally converted over to the Marriott name. The hotel is a 177-room 6-story building. This is really great for downtown and the new convention center. There have been talks of expanding the Columbus Marriott. Hopefully, this will bring in more new hotels along the riverwalk area downtown.

Edited by ATLman1

New development news:

1) Muscogee County School District plans to apply for $201 million in federal funds to build 10 new schools to accomodate Fort Benning's growth. This will inlclude 6 elementary schools, 3 middle schools, and 1 high school. This is in addition too 2 new elementary schools and 1 middle school already proposed to handle Columbus's population explosion.

2) Roswell-based Concordia Properties LLC received approval for a commercial development at the end of Columbus Park Crossing area. It will include a strip center and two outparcels. A bank is expected to be built on one outparcel but no name has been given. On the west end, a hotel will be built but no name has been given.

3) A 322-single family homes has been approved in south Columbus. This will include 129 condos and townhomes.

Heard a rumor that Kia is considering Columbus/Lee County/La Grange as site of new car assembly plant.  Just one of several areas under consideration, so nothing definite yet.  Anyone else hearing similar rumors?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't heard about that. I hope it happens! Where did you hear it from? I know the new Muscogee Technology Park would be a great place for it. There have been several new businesses looking to expand there, but nothing definite. Most of the park is still under construction. Once that new 4-lane highway is built through there, that park will take off with development.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an update of some of the projects under construction or soon to be in the Columbus area. This still has some of the developments from the first list. I took some projects out that have already opened.

1) Restaurants (Applebees, Red Robin, TGI Friday's, 6 FireHouse Subs, Starbucks,

Locos Deli and Pub, Back Yard Burger's, etc.)

2) 4 Wal-mart Supercenters (yuck, how many do we need!)

3) BMW and Acura of Columbus moving to a new facility in North Columbus

4) Gold's Gym (another one)

5) North Highland Church is building a 2,600 seat auditorium

6) National Infantry Museum on Fort Benning (expected to attract 300,000 people

(per year.)

7) Housing market is booming. Population growth over the next 2-3 years is expected to be around 31,000 new residents because of Fort Bennings expansion.

8) Multiple strip centers popping up on every corner

9) new Columbus library (retail, residential space will surround the new building)

10) Riverwalk extension through a condo development in the old Eagle and Phenix

mill downtown.

11) Columbus State University's $50 million dollar downtown campus addition with

two 5 story dorm buildings and a 500+ 5 story parking deck. Also, another 500+

5-story parking deck is being built on main campus. Soccer complex is now finished.

12) $1 billion+ in new construction on Fort Benning

13) Brookstone School is undergoing a $27 million dollar expansion (looks like

a college campus!)

14) 9 new elementary schools, 3 new middle, and 1 new high school are soon to be under

construction.

15) 60,000 sq ft. retail center with a bank, Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream Shop, Big 10 Tires, and hotel near the Columbus Park area.

16) New construction of a Bank of America, North GA Bank, TCI building, and Colonial Bank.

17) Numerous apartments under construction around the city.

18) 100,000 sq. ft. Muscogee County School District office building

These are just a few of the new things that I know of under construction around the city. I am sure there are more and if I find out I will be glad to share with you guys.

Edited by ATLman1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am interested in how you know all of these developments. I know of some through the newspaper and driving around town but nothing like the info you have. I was wondering if you heard anything about the tract of land next to TGI Fridays. Any word on what's going there? Hopefully not more restaurants. Columbus needs more new retail. Thanks!

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am interested in how you know all of these developments. I know of some through the newspaper and driving around town but nothing like the info you have. I was wondering if you heard anything about the tract of land next to TGI Fridays. Any word on what's going there? Hopefully not more restaurants. Columbus needs more new retail. Thanks!

Glad to see another Columbus supporter. Most of the things I know about come from reading the paper and word of mouth. I know some of the local developers, and they keep me updated on a lot of things. I am not sure whats going in next to TGI Fridays. There is a lot of land right there. Across the street will be a Sam's Club and another Wal-Mart Supercenter it looks like. I have also heard that another Home Depot or a Kohl's might go in but thats not for sure. The Sam's and Wal-Mart are a done deal I believe. At the end of Columbus Park will be a Big Ten Tires and a Red Robin (heard that from a friend who is trying to build a Fuddruckers). In front of North Highland will be a 60,000 sq. ft. shopping center with a bank and a hotel. No mention of what will go in though. If you have any information on new developments please pass it along!

Glad to see another Columbus supporter. Most of the things I know about come from reading the paper and word of mouth. I know some of the local developers, and they keep me updated on a lot of things. I am not sure whats going in next to TGI Fridays. There is a lot of land right there. Across the street will be a Sam's Club and another Wal-Mart Supercenter it looks like. I have also heard that another Home Depot or a Kohl's might go in but thats not for sure. The Sam's and Wal-Mart are a done deal I believe. At the end of Columbus Park will be a Big Ten Tires and a Red Robin (heard that from a friend who is trying to build a Fuddruckers). In front of North Highland will be a 60,000 sq. ft. shopping center with a bank and a hotel. No mention of what will go in though. If you have any information on new developments please pass it along!

I guess you heard about the Verizon Wireless store being built in front of Lowes and the Starbucks next to Krispy Kreme. I have not heard much else other than that. A Fuddruckers would be a welcome addition here but don't you think there are so many restaurants already? I would like to see something like a Dave and Busters come to town. I have sent emails to the chamber about that but never got a response. My wife and I moved here from Atanta in 2003 and really miss some of the shopping up there. She always complains that there is no Pottery barn or Crate and Barrel here.

I guess you heard about the Verizon Wireless store being built in front of Lowes and the Starbucks next to Krispy Kreme. I have not heard much else other than that. A Fuddruckers would be a welcome addition here but don't you think there are so many restaurants already? I would like to see something like a Dave and Busters come to town. I have sent emails to the chamber about that but never got a response. My wife and I moved here from Atanta in 2003 and really miss some of the shopping up there. She always complains that there is no Pottery barn or Crate and Barrel here.
Oh I forgot that they are building a new Mercedes Dealership across the street from El Vaquero and Chrysler.

I didn't know about the Verizon store. I saw the land being cleared a few days ago. My friend is trying to put a Fuddruckers in along Airport Thruway area. Applebees is moving from Harmony Place to a free standing building along Airport Thruway. He is looking to put it where Applebees is currently. Fuddruckers is being very difficult though on where they want the restaurant. Columbus does have A LOT of restaurants and there seems to be no slow down either. I think with the amount of new people coming with Fort Bennings expansion and Columbus normal growth, these restaurants are needed. I do agree though that Columbus needs something like Dave and Busters. The closest thing we have to that is Hollywood Connection. Have you been there? It's more for kids than adults. A Pottery Barn or Crate and Barrel would be perfect for the Columbus Park area. The problem though is that Columbus is running out of land. Many developers have recognized this and have bought large parcels of land in Harris County along I-185. Columbus can only move north or east. Hopefully Harris County (I can't stand the place) will open up to commercial development.

Oh I forgot that they are building a new Mercedes Dealership across the street from El Vaquero and Chrysler.

I haven't heard about this at all! This is huge news. Is Columbus Motor Company moving from downtown? I know BMW and Acura of Columbus are moving to a beautiful showroom in Columbus Park. When did you hear about this? This is great news.

Another huge housing development has been approved for St. Mary's Road. Kimbrough Properties has received approval to build 333 homes, condominiums and town homes on more than 100 acres. This will bring the number of new homes being built on St. Marys Road to over 500.

I didn't know about the Verizon store. I saw the land being cleared a few days ago. My friend is trying to put a Fuddruckers in along Airport Thruway area. Applebees is moving from Harmony Place to a free standing building along Airport Thruway. He is looking to put it where Applebees is currently. Fuddruckers is being very difficult though on where they want the restaurant. Columbus does have A LOT of restaurants and there seems to be no slow down either. I think with the amount of new people coming with Fort Bennings expansion and Columbus normal growth, these restaurants are needed. I do agree though that Columbus needs something like Dave and Busters. The closest thing we have to that is Hollywood Connection. Have you been there? It's more for kids than adults. A Pottery Barn or Crate and Barrel would be perfect for the Columbus Park area. The problem though is that Columbus is running out of land. Many developers have recognized this and have bought large parcels of land in Harris County along I-185. Columbus can only move north or east. Hopefully Harris County (I can't stand the place) will open up to commercial development.

I haven't heard about this at all! This is huge news. Is Columbus Motor Company moving from downtown? I know BMW and Acura of Columbus are moving to a beautiful showroom in Columbus Park. When did you hear about this? This is great news.

I was at Chrysler looking at the 300 and asked the manager there what was being built across the street. The land has already been cleared and a street cut though there. I would assume it would be Columbus motor company. I couldn't see two Mercedes dealers in this area. At one time I heard a Belk was going somewhere over that way but never heard anything else about it. That's another store that would do well here. So many options but no one seems to be going after these businesses to get them here. With 30,000 plus people coming here, there needs to be more retail for all those young soldiers to shop.

I was at Chrysler looking at the 300 and asked the manager there what was being built across the street. The land has already been cleared and a street cut though there. I would assume it would be Columbus motor company. I couldn't see two Mercedes dealers in this area. At one time I heard a Belk was going somewhere over that way but never heard anything else about it. That's another store that would do well here. So many options but no one seems to be going after these businesses to get them here. With 30,000 plus people coming here, there needs to be more retail for all those young soldiers to shop.

I totally agree. Belk would do very well here. Hopefully some new announcements will come and maybe Belk, Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel, Kohl's, etc. will be announced. With all of those dealerships moving from downtown, that opens up a good area for a nice high-rise hotel, condo, or office building. I hope something like that will go downtown soon.

I totally agree. Belk would do very well here. Hopefully some new announcements will come and maybe Belk, Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel, Kohl's, etc. will be announced. With all of those dealerships moving from downtown, that opens up a good area for a nice high-rise hotel, condo, or office building. I hope something like that will go downtown soon.

Once Columbus State finishes their expansion, everyone will want to locate downtown. Colleges always attract development. I was really happy to see some lofts start showing up down there. It's a really good use of the space. The Eagle Phenix Mill development will also bring a lot to the downtown area.

Some new projects that are under construction:

CB&T of East Alabama (Columbus Bank and Trust) has started construction on its new East Alabama HQ in Phenix City. The new office building will be along the river in DT Phenix City. This will be located in the area of Phenix City's $300 million dollar DT revitalization. Plans are to open new bank branches in Auburn and Opelika by summer 2006.

Bank of North GA has started construction on its first bank in Columbus. The bank is located in NorthLake Crossings.

Gold's Gym has started construction on its 2-story building in north Columbus. This will be one of the biggest Gold's Gyms in the country. A strip center is being built next to it.

These are just a few of the recent developments that have started construction.

Here is an idea of what effect Fort Bennings expansion will have on Columbus. This is from WRBL News.

As Fort Benning continues to bring growth to the valley area, the need for new schools and for more school funding continues to grow. Local school districts are scrambling to prepare. "We do not have state funds at this time, or local funds", Jennifer Allen with Muscogee County School District's Students Services says.

Eight school districts in Georgia and Alabama have collaborated to come up with a proposal to get federal funding. Those districts include Muscogee, Harris, Talbot, Marion, Chattahoochee, Lee, Russell and Phenix City.

"We're looking at about 30,000 new citizens, soldiers, family, and children over the next 4-6 years", Myles Caggins, Muscogee County school's Chief of Operations and Facilities says the systems have laid out their needs in the proposal. Those needs total over 3 hundred million dollars for the valley area. The districts are asking the Department of Defense and the Department of Education to help with funding. "We are hoping that everyone recognizes how important it is for them to make it available to us".

Muscogee County school officials have identified places of interests to build new schools: the old Baker Middle/High school lot; St. Mary's Road area, the Rigdon Road site, the Macon/Flat Rock area, the Dawson campus, and Daniels area among others. The system is looking at building six elementary schools, three middle schools, and one high school. The building will take place in districts where the most growth is happening and new housing is popping up. Those districts are 2,3,4, and 11.

Muscogee County school officials tell News 3 they would like to begin designing and engineering efforts by the beginning of 2006 in order to be ready for the influx of students by 2008.

Edited by ATLman1