Columbus Projects & Developments

ATLman1

• 3 weeks later...

Since Auburn/Opelika is only about 25 miles west of Columbus, I will post some of the major developments since its in the Columbus region. Here are a few of the things going on in Auburn/Opelika.

1) Auburn University's new student center is planned for the heart of campus across from Jordan-Hare Stadium. The $50 million project will be built on eight acres of parking south of the Haley Center and across Duncan Drive. Work has begun on a 720-space parking deck adjacent to the stadium, with completion timed to coincide with the start of the new building. The 186,000-square-foot building will be one of the largest on campus. The biggest single feature will be a 10,000-square-foot ballroom that can handle 600 for a sit-down meal and a 2,000 seat theater. The building will be finished by 2008.

2) Nikki America Fuel Systems, LLC is building 87,000 square-foot building to manufacture fuel systems for Briggs & Stratton. Nikki is expected to create 130 new jobs with a capital investment of $9.2 million.

3) The I-85 will soon be expanded by two lanes between exits 58 and 62 in Opelika (TigerTown to U.S. Highway 280/431) with construction beginning possibly as early as next fall.

4) Target and Starbucks have opened stores in the TigerTown Shopping Center.

Big news for I-185 in Columbus. The interstate will undergo a $25 million dollar expansion in south Columbus. Here is the article on the widening project. Construction expected to start next year.

$25 million project to widen, update roadway

Stop posting entire articles. You can post clips, and always post links to sources. You should famliarize yourself with the rules. This is your last warning. -Spartan

Edited by Spartan

AFLAC today announced a $100 million expansion

with plans to add 2000 new jobs in Columbus. As

the positions will be white collar, high paying, that

will be a boon to the local economy -- especially considering

the 25000+ new residents expected due to Ft Benning expansion.

Woodruff Planning Live-Work-Play Neighborhood:

A major development that mixes residential, commercial and office uses is being planned for 257.5 acres of land bordering Veterans Parkway and Williams Road. Initial plans call for a 4-laned boulevard cutting through the development. Development includes:

222 single-family homes

260-unit apartment complex

pedestrian walkways, trails, a playground, and a playing field

commericial offerings comprise 20% of the project (specialty shops and stores, small supermarket

The "live-work" feature will have loft apartment type housing above some of the retail and office space.

Megachurch Planned for South Columbus:

Ann Hardman Ministries, which oversees Faith Worship Center International in Ladonia, Ala., and three churches over in Auburn is building this new church. The church will have a gymnasium, bowling alley, skating rink, movie house, and computer labs. The church will 138,000 sq. ft.. The church will have 2,000 seats but will be expandable to 5,000.

ATLman1 -- Wow! THe Woodruff development is great news -- just the sort of upscale project we need. Do you know whether this is the same as the Greyrock project or a separate one? I suspect separate, as Bradley is the Greyrock developer (I think) and it is located further out than Williams Rd. That US 27 corridor is really building up!

Speaking of housing, I am looking for a place in town, near the Park --

Eberhart, Peacock, Munro, ect. Any suggestions? I have a realtor but

if you know of any FSBO's in that area or anyone who is interested in selling let me know. I am still in exile in Atlanta for a while longer --

but suspect that I need to jump into the Columbus market sooner rather than later. Considering the anticipated growth and the effect on the housing market there, now is the best time.

ATLman1 -- Wow! THe Woodruff development is great news -- just the sort of upscale project we need. Do you know whether this is the same as the Greyrock project or a separate one? I suspect separate, as Bradley is the Greyrock developer (I think) and it is located further out than Williams Rd. That US 27 corridor is really building up!

Speaking of housing, I am looking for a place in town, near the Park --

Eberhart, Peacock, Munro, ect. Any suggestions? I have a realtor but

if you know of any FSBO's in that area or anyone who is interested in selling let me know. I am still in exile in Atlanta for a while longer --

but suspect that I need to jump into the Columbus market sooner rather than later. Considering the anticipated growth and the effect on the housing market there, now is the best time.

I haven't heard of the Grey Rock development, unless I know it by another name. Where exactly is the Grey Rock development located? Yes, Veterans Parkway is growing at an unbelievable rate. Behind the new Woodruff development is Northside High School. There are plans to build a middle school and an elementary school. This development will connect to those schools I believe. As for looking for a place to move, which park are you talking about? The housing market is going to be very tight over the next few years with the influx of thousands of new people. Also, home prices are starting to go up because of demand. I would start looking soon! If you could give me more details I will be glad to help you out!

Grey Rock is bit further out 27 -- at the Harris County line. Around the

old fire tower and past. I think that

the road there is Grey Rock Rd -- hence the name of the devlopment.

Lakebottom/Weracoba Park @ Columbus Hi is the area of interest. Looking for older place with "charm." Maybe a fixer-upper. 2-3,000 sq ft. Found some things but not much on market now. House on Munro and Forest got snapped up before I could get down to look! Viewing house on Peacock this weekend -- if it is still available! Any help with FSBO's or would be sellers in that area would be appreciated (my broker will keep me posted on multilistings -- I hope!) !

Gated Community set for the suburb of Hamilton:

Comedian Jeff Foxworthy is part of this upscale subdivision. The gated community will be on 131 acres west of Hamilton off of I-185. The subdivision will include a 26-acre lake with lots ranging from 2 to 5 acres. Lots are expected to sell for more than $200,000 with housing starting between $600,000-$700,000. Construction is set to begin in January.

Anyone interested in the new Columbus State campus being developed DT for the Drama/Art Departments can go to

www.colstate.edu/uptown

then hit "photo gallery." Great new theater/gallery/classrooms overlooking river. Also 2 new 5-story loft apartment buildings and huge parking garage. Check out pix of amenties in the lofts. Housing was NOT like that when I was in college!

300 new jobs -- Road America (hq'd in Madrid, Spain!) will open new

facility. Moreover, site (Victory Drive) will be on economically depressed southside, so

maybe this is the start of a redevelopment of that area. No word on caliber of

jobs (suspect that they may not be of the "white collar" type) but if it offers job opportunities for the un- and underemployed South Columbus residents it is still great news!

Anyone interested in the new Columbus State campus being developed DT for the Drama/Art Departments can go to

www.colstate.edu/uptown

then hit "photo gallery." Great new theater/gallery/classrooms overlooking river. Also 2 new 5-story loft apartment buildings and huge parking garage. Check out pix of amenties in the lofts. Housing was NOT like that when I was in college!

Yes, the new dorms are coming along nicely. I can't wait to see them finished.

300 new jobs -- Road America (hq'd in Madrid, Spain!) will open new

facility. Moreover, site (Victory Drive) will be on economically depressed southside, so

maybe this is the start of a redevelopment of that area. No word on caliber of

jobs (suspect that they may not be of the "white collar" type) but if it offers job opportunities for the un- and underemployed South Columbus residents it is still great news!

They plan around 300 now and hope to have 450 in a few years. It will be their largest facility in the U.S. Thats great news.

Anyone have info on new Y project ? I have general idea of location -- on upper @ TSYS campus. But cannot get info about size, amenities, etc. Suppose the church will be razing old brick building and using for parking? Trust even older marble building will be preserved and used for some purpose. Its a fine old place -- only marble Y in USA I think. Was some talk about it becoming a museum of city history. Hope that it wont be lost to the wrecking ball.

Have you seen a rendering? How big will it be? This will be great for downtown.

Yes -- that is the info I am interested in also. The new Y -- as a concept -- was announced

some time ago. When 1st Presbyterian bought the property. Had also heard that would be

located on B'way (across from Country's/next to TSYS). However, am not sure about

size, amenities, etc. Think there was an announcement in that regard last week -- but I cannot

find out info. Was it in the paper? If so I missed it.

On another front, the newly renovated Coca Cola Challenger Center opened last week on teh Riverwalk. Not been yet, but hear it

is fabulous. Also recently learned that, as part of BRAC, the Armor School Museum will be moved from Ft Knox. It

has @ 300,00 visitors annually there. That, coupled with the new $70 M Infantry Museum (not

to metion the Civil War Naval Museum, Challenger Center) will put Columbus on the map for military museum fans.

Infantry Museum projected to draw 300,000. Together, that is more than .5 M new vistors, which means more hotels, restaurants, and that means more jobs. Granted, they will be service and low-paying, but a boon to the Southside which, as I have mentioned, is underemployed and

underutilized.

The city has purchased land in south Columbus near the new national infantry museum. A marina, hotel, and another convention center have been proposed. Nothing has been finalized. A marina has been proposed for awhile. The city wants to take advantage of the 600,000+ new visitors that will be coming to the city with the new national infantry museum and Fort Bennings expansion. I can't wait to see what happens with this property.

The city has purchased land in south Columbus near the new national infantry museum. A marina, hotel, and another convention center have been proposed. Nothing has been finalized. A marina has been proposed for awhile. The city wants to take advantage of the 600,000+ new visitors that will be coming to the city with the new national infantry museum and Fort Bennings expansion. I can't wait to see what happens with this property.

Do you think the marina will ever be built? I am afraid that Atlanta will be a BIG obstacle -- what with pollution and drawdown of water from the river. Actually, the drawdown may be the bigger snag -- as some progress has been made with the sewer inadequacy. Also, if dredging stops on the river, that will be a major impediment to river traffic -- especially if the CoE stops operating the locks. Isnt Fla pushing to end dredging in the Tri-state talks? All in all I am fairly dubious but would like to become more optimistic. Help anyone!?!

Do you think the marina will ever be built? I am afraid that Atlanta will be a BIG obstacle -- what with pollution and drawdown of water from the river. Actually, the drawdown may be the bigger snag -- as some progress has been made with the sewer inadequacy. Also, if dredging stops on the river, that will be a major impediment to river traffic -- especially if the CoE stops operating the locks. Isnt Fla pushing to end dredging in the Tri-state talks? All in all I am fairly dubious but would like to become more optimistic. Help anyone!?!

I think all of it will get built. When Columbus puts its mind on something it gets done. That is why Columbus has much better facilities than the other 2nd tier cities. That area is hot for new development with the museums and Fort Benning's expansion. There will be over 600,000 people visiting that area each year. That doesn't include the population growth and the soldiers families who will be visiting. Everyone knows Columbus is running out of land for development. I think it's a good investment, and I can't wait to see what they will do with the property.