Columbus Projects & Developments

ATLman1

How big will the proposed convention center be?

I think this is in the real preliminary stages -- so no info on specifics that I know of.

However, for now I presume that it

will not be large. Probably focus on military conventions (vet reunions, etc) to take advantage of proximity to

Benning and new Infantry Museum. Would think that size and type facility will all depend on whether marina and other civilian amenities do prove feasible.

On a different note, the first phase of the new Eagle & Phenix Mill condo conversion will begin construction shortly after the new year. About 90 condos overlooking river w/ parking deck and greenspace. Sales promotion expected to start in summer of 2006, with first occupancy in 2007. Am really interested in seeing what the final plans look like. This is just the first project in a 10-year plan to develop the several blocks along Front facing the river. Office, retail, restaurants also in the works -- along with that wonderful open block between 13th and 14th that is just screaming out "highrise"! Almost directly across the river in PC, land

is being cleared for new riverfront campus of Troy State and Chattahoochee Community College. So that area of DT --

on both sides of the river -- is starting to hum!

Hey, that's pretty nice. What is the enrollment at CSU?

It is right at 8,000. Here is another building that was recently completed on campus.

The Cunningham Center is 68,000 sq. ft. building that will house the Columbus Regional Technology Center, designed to nurture startup technology-based companies. The technology center is expected to create eight entrepreneurial companies creating up to 720 new jobs in the next 10 years.

cunninghamcenter_large.jpg

Edited by ATLman1

• 2 weeks later...

I see that Columbus South (the group dedicated to development of the

southside, ie, adjacent to Benning) has said to expect a big announcement at the end of the month.

Anyone have any inkling of what that might be?

Heard that a new hotel/motel is planned for that area. Could that be the topic of the announcement?

Might be , but I thought that the new hotel/motel was already common knowledge.

I've been reading this for a while.. figured I'd join the action.

I see all the posts about CSU... let's not forget Columbus Technical College. Looks like they've finally started on their new Nursing Program building along River Road (at least with the demolition). It is supposed to be a about a $25 million project and it will replace two abandoned wharehouses/factories at that location.

CTC Expansion

I see all the posts about CSU... let's not forget Columbus Technical College. Looks like they've finally started on their new Nursing Program building along River Road (at least with the demolition). It is supposed to be a about a $25 million project and it will replace two abandoned wharehouses/factories at that location.

CTC Expansion

Great reminder -- CTC is too often treated as a step-child, when in fact it is a great asset to the community.

If I remember correctly it was instrumental in the TSYS decision to remain in Columbus and build the DT

campus. Also I think that it is connected with the new Botanical Gardens, in that its horticultural science

program will use the gardens as a hands-on lab and classroom. A fine connection between education-civic

enhancement. Thanks for reminding us!

Edited by gah

CTC Expansion

Thanks for joining Wassabe! Glad to have another Columbus supporter! I think the new addition to Columbus Technical College is great. They have been wanting to expand for a long time. I am sure the new facilities will be beautiful once finished. Keep up the good posts!

Port Columbus is to build a replica of a Civil War-era warship. It's suppossed to help draw in visitors to the museum. It will be outside the museum along Victory Drive. Should be a nice addition. I've always thought the building looked more like a Water Treatment plant than a museum.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgere...er/13445883.htm

Port Columbus Website

Port Columbus is to build a replica of a Civil War-era warship. It's suppossed to help draw in visitors to the museum. It will be outside the museum along Victory Drive. Should be a nice addition. I've always thought the building looked more like a Water Treatment plant than a museum.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgere...er/13445883.htm

Port Columbus Website

I think (but not sure) that the idea was to make the museum look like the old Iron Works (present Trade Center) where the ironclads were constructed. Unless I am mistaken my brother had a hand in the design

(know he did the Challenger Center), so I will check with him and see what he says.

I think (but not sure) that the idea was to make the museum look like the old Iron Works (present Trade Center) where the ironclads were constructed. Unless I am mistaken my brother had a hand in the design

(know he did the Challenger Center), so I will check with him and see what he says.

I have been reading a few of the other forums and keep hearing a lot about lifestyle centers. I guess this is the direction retail and residential are going. Any chance you think Columbus will get something like this?

I have been reading a few of the other forums and keep hearing a lot about lifestyle centers. I guess this is the direction retail and residential are going. Any chance you think Columbus will get something like this?

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any plans (Columbus X-ing is the anti-lifestyle center). But

Columbus is not known for being in the forefront of new urban concepts. I believe that the Mid-town

project probably will include lifestyle centers (or something comparable). Will have to check into that ==

especially since I am looking to buy a house in that area. Would love to have shops, bars, restaurants

within walking distance!

With Fort Benning's expansion, Clark Pinnacle is going to build approximately 3,000 new homes, several Village Centers, and a few Community Centers. All of this is on Fort Benning though. I am sure the Village Center concept will be in Columbus very soon.

• 3 weeks later...

As I indicated some time back, there have been rumors that Kia was considering the Columbus area for a new auto assembly plant. I continue to hear those whispers, now including the possibility that focus is

being turned to a specific site in the West Point area. That is extreme N. Harris County/S. Troup County (LaGrange), between I-85 and I-185. Tho I woud prefer a site closer to town (new Muscogee Tech Park) this would be a boom for the area as a whole, as the site is easily available to workers from Columbus (I-185)and Lee County Ala (I-85). If it happens, that would certainly spur further development towards the north and be another link in the chain connecting Columbus to Atlanta metro from the south.

This is CERTAINLY not a done deal, as other sites are still in play (Meridian MS, etc). However, if it happens, it would be a big deal, since Georgia may soon to be without any car assembly plants. Understand that the final decision will come faily soon, maybe a matter of weeks. Anyone else hearing any rumors about this project? I hope that the state officials dont drop the ball (as they did with the Pooler site and the tech company that Columbus lost to Lee County last April).

As I indicated some time back, there have been rumors that Kia was considering the Columbus area for a new auto assembly plant. I continue to hear those whispers, now including the possibility that focus is

being turned to a specific site in the West Point area. That is extreme N. Harris County/S. Troup County (LaGrange), between I-85 and I-185. Tho I woud prefer a site closer to town (new Muscogee Tech Park) this would be a boom for the area as a whole, as the site is easily available to workers from Columbus (I-185)and Lee County Ala (I-85). If it happens, that would certainly spur further development towards the north and be another link in the chain connecting Columbus to Atlanta metro from the south.

This is CERTAINLY not a done deal, as other sites are still in play (Meridian MS, etc). However, if it happens, it would be a big deal, since Georgia may soon to be without any car assembly plants. Understand that the final decision will come faily soon, maybe a matter of weeks. Anyone else hearing any rumors about this project? I hope that the state officials dont drop the ball (as they did with the Pooler site and the tech company that Columbus lost to Lee County last April).

The Columbus area was never quoted in any of the Kia articles I've seen. From what I've read, the five finalist sites (as of 12/29/05) are Aiken, SC; Meridian, MS; Chattanooga, TN; Decatur, AL; and Hopkinsville, KY. The Meridian site was originally chosen, but Kia decided to go for an even larger facility and reinstated their search. This will obviously be an enormous boost for whatever city/state gets it, so I'm definately keeping my ears open for any announcements regarding this plant...

Thanx for reply. As it turns out the Business Section of today's AJC has a story with the same info I heard over the weekend! So much for "inside" info!

The story I hear is Aiken and Hopkinsville are eliminated as too far from center of gravity in Montgomery. Meridian too small. Decatur out of running because Ala has used up its incentive money. Chattanooga is the current front runner, with the West Point site being seriously considered as an alternative. (west MS cities other than Meridian also in the mix). Thus, the race now seems to be between Chattanooga and West Point. Some question over whether TN is willing to come up with incentives and to risk diluting its cozy relationship with the auto companies already there. Thus, what I hear is that Georgia has an outside chance to win this in an upset and as a darkhorse. Again, things are fluid and nothing is certain. Announcement could come soon -- maybe weeks. Check out AJC on line for story which is consistent in most details with story I heard in the past few days.

New $ 75 M Infantry Museum on track for opening in Nov 2007. Groundbreaking soon.

Will include 5-story IMAX theater. Museum only part of multi-acre site which will include proposed Armor Museum, parade grounds, restored WWII military encampment, park, etc. Will be adjacent to existing Riverwalk (DT ~ 4-5- miles). Projected to draw 300 K visitors annually.

The GA DOT has awarded Columbus $2 million for extending the riverwalk. The riverwalk will be expanded around the Eagle and Phenix loft/condo development that is going up along the riverwalk.

Got any specifics about this extension -- canterlevered or along existing bank? Will it tie-in to E&P project (ie,

access to sidewalk cafes, shops)? $2M seems like alot for the 2-3 blocks that I am thinking this project encompasses -- from River Club north to TSYS campus, right? Must be pretty nice for that amount! Cant wait to see it and E&P project come together.

A mixed-use community is coming to Jordan City, an area near downtown Columbus. Peabody Apartments, a low income housing complex, has been demolished. The 23-acre lot will now be called Ashley Station - a 360 town home and apartment complex for mixed-income families. The final project will include parks, a swimming pool and fitness center. The $60 million project was partially funded by the Federal Hope Six Grant - a grant designed specifically for revitalizing old public housing developments. Phase I of Ashley Station will be complete by the end of the year.

A mixed-use community is coming to Jordan City, an area near downtown Columbus. Peabody Apartments, a low income housing complex, has been demolished. The 23-acre lot will now be called Ashley Station - a 360 town home and apartment complex for mixed-income families. The final project will include parks, a swimming pool and fitness center. The $60 million project was partially funded by the Federal Hope Six Grant - a grant designed specifically for revitalizing old public housing developments. Phase I of Ashley Station will be complete by the end of the year.

Yeah I saw that under construction the other day. Here's the project site with pictures and updates.

http://www.peabodyhopevi.org/

Speaking of other projects in this area of Columbus... any word about what's going to happen to the Jordan Mill that burned down a few months back? I know they were working on getting historic grants to restore the mill and convert it to apartments for seniors, but there isn't much left to salvage there anymore. Wonder if they'll tear it down and still pursue revitalizing that area??

Yeah I saw that under construction the other day. Here's the project site with pictures and updates.

http://www.peabodyhopevi.org/

Speaking of other projects in this area of Columbus... any word about what's going to happen to the Jordan Mill that burned down a few months back? I know they were working on getting historic grants to restore the mill and convert it to apartments for seniors, but there isn't much left to salvage there anymore. Wonder if they'll tear it down and still pursue revitalizing that area??

The design looks cool. Thanks for sharing. As for the mill, I am not sure what the plans are. Hopefully they will do something with that property. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything.

• 3 weeks later...