Columbus Projects & Developments

ATLman1

Has anybody heard anything else about what is going in around KOHLS? I heard a rumor about a Guitar Center coming to town but nothing concrete. I do know that a Bonefish Grill has purchased property over there and plan to open around the beginning of the year. I have noticed quite a few Dave and Buster's commercials on local TV lately. This is usually a sign of interest in a market. The same thing happened right before Kohl's and TGIFridays announced plan to come.

Has anybody heard anything else about what is going in around KOHLS? I heard a rumor about a Guitar Center coming to town but nothing concrete. I do know that a Bonefish Grill has purchased property over there and plan to open around the beginning of the year. I have noticed quite a few Dave and Buster's commercials on local TV lately. This is usually a sign of interest in a market. The same thing happened right before Kohl's and TGIFridays announced plan to come.

That is awesome news! All I have heard is another bank. It will be located in front across from Regions (I believe thats the bank). I hope all of your announcements come true! I have a friend who is building the new Fuddruckers. They have plans in the future to build another restaurant in the Midland area but thats a few years down the road probably. I heard Red Robin is still looking for property in that area. Dave and Busters would be great for Columbus. The one in Atlanta is a lot of fun.

• 1 month later...

Cougar Village:

A Raleigh, N.C., developer has begun construction on Cougar Village, a Milgen Road apartment complex specifically aimed at a burgeoning market of Columbus State University students. North Carolina-based Kenney Properties is building the apartments on 10 acres of land at 4712 Milgen Road. Cougar Village, which will accommodate 402 students in 210 apartments, will be less than two miles from the main campus of Columbus State University. The complex will have 10 buildings.

• 1 month later...

Ashley Station now leasing

Mixed-income apartment complex wrapping up phase one

The Ashley Station, a mixed-income apartment community, has started to open and some residents are moving in while construction continues along Talbotton Road. The Peabody Apartment residents were displaced more than two years ago when the Housing Authority and Atlanta-based developer and property management firm The Integral Group partnered on the project. The 500-plus brick public-housing apartments -- bordered by Talbotton Road and 27th Street -- were torn down to make way for 367 new apartments with sleek siding and amenities similar to those found in any market-rate complex in Columbus. The designs include ceiling fans, washer/dryer hookups and walk-in closets, while a swimming pool will be on site.

There are 184 apartments in the first phase, which is 87 percent complete. The phase is 76 percent preleased and 30 percent occupied. Infrastructure work has already begun on the second phase of Ashley Station, which has 183 units that should be completed by December 2007.

Forty percent of the apartments in Ashley Station -- 73 of them in phase one -- must be made available to those eligible for public housing under U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development rules. Ashley Station's $57 million price tag is being partially funded through a $20 million federal Hope VI grant..

Airport wants to open up land for development:

The "for lease" sign isn't up yet, but officials are trying to bring commercial development to the Columbus Metropolitan Airport.

Mark Oropeza, the airport's director, said Wednesday that a request for proposals is being written to attract real estate brokers and developers interested in about 20 acres of frontage the Columbus Airport Commission owns along West Britt David Road and Airport Thruway.

Officials want to lease more of the airport property to help pay the debt service on a $5 million to $7 million bond issue that will pay for a new T-hangar, rebuild two more and renovate the others that contain a total of 110 private planes. No plans have been issued, but some commission members say they would like a hotel included.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Downtown will be home to a new YMCA building:

The new facility will be located on 14th Street across from the TSYS campus. Construction on the new YMCA will begin in the spring and open in the fall of 2008. The YMCA of Metropolitan Columbus will also go public with its $23 million capital fundraising campaign. The new downtown YMCA will cost $10 million to construct and equip. There will be a new $9.5 million YMCA built in Midtown on property near the new Columbus Public Library. There will be an expansion and renovation of the D.A. Turner YMCA, which was built in 1968, to include an additional gym at a cost of $3.5 million.

Renderings:

1207ymca-JPT%20downtown-2.jpg

1207ymca%20ajMcClung.jpg

1207ymca-DAT-2.jpg

Edited by ATLman1

Fried chicken chain plans up to 10 stores in Columbus, Phenix City and LaGrange:

Bojangles' Restaurants Inc. plans to develop at least four and possibly up to 10 eateries in the area over the next five years. The timeline for Bojangles' to arrive in the Columbus area is late 2007 or early 2008. There is a Bojangles restaurant is the suburb of Cusseta.

Great every city needs a bojangle. YMCA looks great, it will interesting to see the affect on downtown. Is LaGrange part of Columbus?

I'm so glad they are putting that YMCA downtown. The lot where its going was an old rundown tire shop so it's good to clean that mess up.

LaGrange is about 30 miles north. It is part of the area but it's not in the MSA. Many people commute to Columbus to shop and work but the same can be said for Atlanta. LaGrange is more associated with Columbus than Atlanta, but as Atlanta pushes further south its only a matter of time before LaGrange becomes a true suburb. Harris County to the south is metro Columbus but all of the counties east and north of LaGrange are metro Atlanta. So its basically the only county between Atlanta and Columbus thats not part of one of the two metros.

I'm so glad they are putting that YMCA downtown. The lot where its going was an old rundown tire shop so it's good to clean that mess up.

Actually, the new Y is a three-fer

1. Is a nice "modern" look addition to DT and blends in with adjoining TSYS campus

2. As you note, it replaces a pretty seedy building (which I think recently burned due to vagrant neglect with fire) and thus does not come at the expense of the historic look of DT

3. It (hopefully) will result in demo of the present Y (one of the ugliest buildings DT) and thus open up vista of adjoining old Y (one of the nicest -- built in early 1900's with donation from Andrew Carnegie and one of few in country with a marble facade).

So Columbus and Macon are in the same boat? About to get swallowed by the Atanta metro. Is Columbus getting a passenger rail route like Macon?

I think that Columbus is in line == but way further down the list than Macon. My understanding is that (for whatever reason) tying Atlanta to Savannah via Macon is first priority. Columbus and Augusta are going to take a back seat -- assuming that this project ever gets underway at all. Insofar as Columbus-Atlanta line is concerned, the plan is (or at least was) to run it via Griffin. In my opinion, running it along the I-185/85 corridor makes way more sense. Columbus, LaGrange, Newnan, Hartsfield, Atlanta. Maybe now that KIA has announced , that route will get some consideration. Having high-speed connection there would certainly be a boon for W. Ga.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any idea what is going up in the shoppes of Bradley Park behind Quiznos/Goodyear. It has a wierd looking design to it so far?

Nope not sure what it is. I noticed it under construction when I was home a few weeks ago. Hopefully a sign will go up soon.

Nope not sure what it is. I noticed it under construction when I was home a few weeks ago. Hopefully a sign will go up soon.

I drove by today when i got off work and took a good look at it. It appears to be a hotel of some sort there are what appear to rooms visible from the street on the second floor just no idea on what kind even though that is a tight spot for a hotel. I was also reading on here from a previous article about the hotel boom and noticed that Country Inn had previously expressed intrest in that area maybe it is them going up there. i'll keep ya'll updated and hope ya'll will do the same

I drove by today when i got off work and took a good look at it. It appears to be a hotel of some sort there are what appear to rooms visible from the street on the second floor just no idea on what kind even though that is a tight spot for a hotel. I was also reading on here from a previous article about the hotel boom and noticed that Country Inn had previously expressed intrest in that area maybe it is them going up there. i'll keep ya'll updated and hope ya'll will do the same

Yea it is most likely a hotel. They are already on the third floor. I think you are right, it is probably the Country Inn and Suites that was mentioned in an earlier article.

Ice Rink and Skate Park Planned for South Commons:

On Tuesday, Columbus City Councilors voted to move forward with plans to build a new skate park and ice rink. The plan is to build the skate park near the old naval museum. The ice rink will be an extension of the Columbus Civic Center. This sounds really cool! More information should be available for both of the projects soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Greystone constructing major apartment complex: $20 million development off Williams Road will be called Greystone Falls

A Columbus apartment developer is constructing a major complex on Williams Road near the Georgia Welcome Center and Interstate 185. The $20 million complex

Edited by ATLman1