Columbus Projects & Developments

ATLman1

• 2 weeks later...

Mixed-use development planned for Whitesville-Whittlesey intersection:

A development that could include a mix of retail, hotel and office space is being planned at the northeast corner of Whitesville and Whittlesey roads in north Columbus.

Thomas and Rupert McCardle, owners of about 13.5 acres, are seeking to have the property rezoned to general commercial. The land, situated across from the Fox Chapel subdivision, a Columbus Bank & Trust branch and Hollywood Connection, now bears two zoning classifications

I saw all the land cleared away and was wondering what they were building up there nice to know what it is finally. Anyone know what is going up around the new WAL-MART/Sams Club on Whittlesley Blvd in the front next to sams gas station and across the street behind TGI Fridays?

It is a hotel I believe, but I am not sure which one though

• 2 weeks later...

Ashley Station sparks $100M investment: Former public housing will evolve into residential, retail community

Project Rendering

From the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer:

As it marks the official opening of Ashley Station Apartment Homes today, an Atlanta development firm says it is the first step in a mixed-use, mixed-income community with a total price tag of $100 million.

The Integral Group LLC, based in Atlanta, is partnering with the Housing Authority of Columbus on the project, which got its start in 2003 with a $20 million Hope VI grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Integral could not be reached for comment Thursday, but Housing Authority executive director Len Williams said the master-planned community is to have 380 apartments altogether, including a four-story complex for senior residents.

There also will be retail and commercial space developed on vacant property along Talbotton Road over the next five years, Williams said. A linear park for area residents will round out the project, which is being built on 27 acres of land that once was known as George Foster Peabody public housing.

"We think it's a major step ahead for Columbus," Williams said. "It's our first venture in mixed-income housing. We think not only will it be great for our clients and our residents, but we also think it will have a lot of economic impact in the surrounding community up there."

Ashley Station is a mixed-income apartment development that has been under construction for more than two years. It comprises about $56 million of the $100 million in development costs, Williams said.

A grand opening ceremony and ribbon-cutting for the complex will be 2 p.m. today at 2321 Olive St., inside the residential area that has gone from drab red-brick public housing structures to light-colored brick and siding units with grassy areas and sidewalks.

Erasing the blight

Within sight of Ashley Station are two worlds -- one the developing medical community that includes Columbus Regional Healthcare System and physicians' offices; the other a former textile mill that is now a skeleton after burning last year. Blighted housing is scattered throughout the area.

"I just think it's a good economic engine for the area," Columbus Regional senior vice president Tom Titus said of the $100 million project. The health care system helped with initial planning of Ashley Station, providing letters of support and financial data on its own development in the area to HUD. It also committed to helping people living in the new complex train for jobs.

"I think the whole economic infrastructure of the city's improved with this," Titus said. "We're part of the neighborhood, we have been for a very, very long time. A lot of what we've done has improved the neighborhood. We took out some blighted housing around here years and years ago now. And we've got buildings on there now."

Details are sketchy on the retail and commercial offerings, Williams said. Aside from any shops and eateries opening in the area, he believes there will continue to be a proliferation of medical offices springing up in the revitalized area.

Integral Group, in a release Thursday, played up Ashley Station's proximity to downtown Columbus, while pointing out it is "minutes away from Columbus State University." That would appear to be an effort at marketing toward the school's student population.

Today's grand opening will mark the completion of the first 184 units of the apartment complex, which is not gated because the developer would be responsible for maintenance of interior streets.

The second phase will include 183 units, with completion scheduled for spring 2008, the company said. Construction should begin within a month.

The mixed-use community is being designed in what Integral calls the "New Urbanism style, incorporating residential with retail and commercial in a pedestrian-friendly village."

Nearby businesses are hopeful the new development and its incoming residents will help turn around an area that has decayed for decades.

"It's so much nicer than what it was," Jeff Lunsford, co-owner of Rose Hill Seafood, said of Ashley Station's brand-new structures. The nearly 40-year-old restaurant is a short stroll from the complex. Business at the eatery and seafood market fell off some when Peabody closed, he said.

"It can't do nothing but help everything," Lunsford said. "It got rid of some problems that we had around here. It's just a lot more pleasing when you're coming here to shop with me and you see that, other than what used to be there."

Financing the future

The project is being financed through the Hope VI grant -- which goes primarily toward the housing -- and investors who are ponying up money in exchange for federal and state income tax credits on their earnings.

The "third layer" of financing will be a privatized mortgage on the property, Williams said, something he and Integral want to minimize.

And while Integral becomes the owner and manager of the property, the Housing Authority doesn't come away empty-handed. First, the department finds affordable places for residents of the city to live. But it also gains experience toward becoming its own tax-credit developer.

The authority already is working on redevelopment of Baker Village in south Columbus. Williams said residents there are now being relocated to other housing in the city. Atlanta-based Columbia Residential, a firm that develops and manages affordable multi-family housing for low- and moderate-income families, is helping with the project.

There are 244 units planned for Baker Village, which will cost about $26 million to construct. No Hope VI grants are available. Williams looks to apply for tax credits in May and if approved -- likely in September -- construction of the first phase could begin in early 2008 and take about a year to complete.

The main difference in Ashley Station and the new Baker Village is the Housing Authority will own and manage the property, Williams said. It also will be more prepared for redeveloping public housing in other areas of the city, he said.

"We get experience from working with (Integral Group)," he said. "Then in Baker Village we will get even more experience and will actually be able to own and manage it. After that we should be fully qualified as a tax-credit developer and manager."

The Housing Authority is looking to do about $100 million in redevelopment around the city over the next 10 years, Williams said.

Edited by ATLman1

Gratified to see that Ashley Station (old Peabody Apts -- my home for first 9 months of my life) is now open. It looks terrific and certainly will be a wonderful addition to the area. Also that second phase will start immediately and add even more apartments/residents is excellant news. With developing medical complex and new "rails-to-trails" running thru, it has real potential to attract residents, including CSU students, nurses, etc.

However, I am growing concerned about what will happen to the old Jordan Mill @ 12th Ave that burned last year. It was scheduled to be developed into an apartment complex and now is a derelict ruin. Also, any idea when 12th will reopen? A real pain to negotiate that area (but at least Warm Spgs is now open)

Also interesting article in today's L&E about bank expansions DT. Unfortunately no highrises -- but good to hear that CB&T will preserve the architecture of the old buildings. If they had only also opted to replace the facade of their butt-ugly hq's @ B'way and 12th!

According to my unaudited calcuations, new census estimates put population of Columbus/A/O/Tuskegee CSA at

437226. That is still behind the # 2 Augusta SMA at 523249. But puts us in a solid third. Will be interesting to see how teh numbers change when BRAC real kicks in in a year or two.

Edited by gah

According to my unaudited calcuations, new census estimates put population of Columbus/A/O/Tuskegee CSA at

437226. That is still behind the # 2 Augusta SMA at 477263. But puts us in a solid third. Will be interesting to see how teh numbers change when BRAC real kicks in in a year or two.

Columbus is growing at an insane rate! BRAC hasn't even begun yet. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Chattahoochee County had the biggest percentage gain in population in the country from 2005 to 2006. According to the Census Bureau, Chattahoochee County grew 13.2%. Columbus has done well to with 1.5% growth between 2005-2006.

Just a quick question... Is Chattahoochee a primarily military/Ft. Benning dependent county? I noticed it's had downright bizarre growth patterns when I was doing my MSA/CSA calculations.

2000: 14,882

2001: 15,967

2002: 19,327

2003: 13,195

2004: 13,372

2005: 12,406

2006: 14,041

I assume that the strange fluctuations have to do with large deployments..? If this is the case, this county probably has big things in store with the Ft. Benning expansion...

Just a quick question... Is Chattahoochee a primarily military/Ft. Benning dependent county? I noticed it's had downright bizarre growth patterns when I was doing my MSA/CSA calculations.

I assume that the strange fluctuations have to do with large deployments..? If this is the case, this county probably has big things in store with the Ft. Benning expansion...

Yes, it is primarily military dependent. Fort Benning is located in the county. Since Columbus is running out of land to develop as well as affordable housing for military personnel, Chattahoochee is seeing a lot of new growth in subdivision development. A new high school just opened as well. I would imagine that the population fluctuations have to do with deployment. It will be interesting to see the growth patterns of the county as BRAC takes affect starting in 2008.

Quite right. I believe that it was at the opposite extreme -- largest % lost -- for 2002-2003. The figures are totally dependent on troop strength in any given year. Ft Benning -- tho occuping a portion of Muscogee -- is mainly in Chattahoochee.

FedEx to double size of sorting center: $5 million sorting facility part of package delivery firm's upgrade for growth

FedEx needs more room to grow its Columbus operation. It is more than doubling the size of its local sorting facility, with plans to add 53 jobs over the next five years. FedEx is building a 55,656-square-foot center at 7701 Chattsworth Road. The new facility is in Muscogee Technology Park. . The new building, which will be expandable to 72,048 square feet, has actually been under construction for about a month. Work on the concrete foundation is already under way. FedEx Ground's Columbus operation has a delivery area that ranges west to Auburn and Opelika, east to Talbotton, Ga., north to Hogansville, Ga., and south to Cusseta and Lumpkin, Ga.

FedEx to double size of sorting center: $5 million sorting facility part of package delivery firm's upgrade for growth

FedEx needs more room to grow its Columbus operation. It is more than doubling the size of its local sorting facility, with plans to add 53 jobs over the next five years. FedEx is building a 55,656-square-foot center at 7701 Chattsworth Road. The new facility is in Muscogee Technology Park. . The new building, which will be expandable to 72,048 square feet, has actually been under construction for about a month. Work on the concrete foundation is already under way. FedEx Ground's Columbus operation has a delivery area that ranges west to Auburn and Opelika, east to Talbotton, Ga., north to Hogansville, Ga., and south to Cusseta and Lumpkin, Ga.

Is this the first company to locate in the Tech Park?

Is this the first company to locate in the Tech Park?

No -- I think that there are at least three others

Litho-Krome (printing)

H&K (guns)

Techsphere (balloons/airships)

Seems to be getting off to slow start. Ideal location for KIA supplier and other large mfg concern. let's keep fingers X'd for large announcements soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Trendy Lifestyle Center Planned for North Columbus: "Buckhead of Columbus"

Developers from Columbus and Atlanta are teaming up to build an upscale complex of shopping, dining, entertainment, office and residential establishments off Blackmon Road in north Columbus. The new center is planned on 40 acres. The development is being built by Jacoby Development, the company that helped to build Atlantic Station.

The Columbus development will be comprised of 300,400 square feet of ground-floor retail and second-floor office space. There also will be some loft apartments and an apartment complex catering to "active seniors" age 55 and over. Rounding out the project will be a village green park, an amphitheater and walking trails that will give those using the community a place to socialize. Atlanta-based Almquist Hansen LLC will develop the apartments. The apartment complex, which will be situated off Blackmon Road adjacent to Sonoma Pointe subdivision, will be four stories. It is to include a swimming pool, hot tub, spa, wellness center, fitness area, a business center and private conference centers.

Here is the article and site plan New Development

Trendy Lifestyle Center Planned for North Columbus: "Buckhead of Columbus"

Developers from Columbus and Atlanta are teaming up to build an upscale complex of shopping, dining, entertainment, office and residential establishments off Blackmon Road in north Columbus. The new center is planned on 40 acres. The development is being built by Jacoby Development, the company that helped to build Atlantic Station.

The Columbus development will be comprised of 300,400 square feet of ground-floor retail and second-floor office space. There also will be some loft apartments and an apartment complex catering to "active seniors" age 55 and over. Rounding out the project will be a village green park, an amphitheater and walking trails that will give those using the community a place to socialize. Atlanta-based Almquist Hansen LLC will develop the apartments. The apartment complex, which will be situated off Blackmon Road adjacent to Sonoma Pointe subdivision, will be four stories. It is to include a swimming pool, hot tub, spa, wellness center, fitness area, a business center and private conference centers.

Here is the article and site plan New Development

Very interesting article -- but can you answer a question? Is this a newly announced development or has this news been out for awhile? I seem to remember a development announced for River Rd and another off Veterans Pwy @ Williams Rd near N. Clumbus High. But I dont remember hearing anything before about this development off Blackmon Rd. So, is this new or did I miss the news when this was announced at some earlier point?

Very encouraging that Atlantic Station developers are involved -- that is one awesome deveopment here in Atlanta. Also very encouraging what article says about prospects for growth of the area

Very interesting article -- but can you answer a question? Is this a newly announced development or has this news been out for awhile? I seem to remember a development announced for River Rd and another off Veterans Pwy @ Williams Rd near N. Clumbus High. But I dont remember hearing anything before about this development off Blackmon Rd. So, is this new or did I miss the news when this was announced at some earlier point?

Very encouraging that Atlantic Station developers are involved -- that is one awesome deveopment here in Atlanta. Also very encouraging what article says about prospects for growth of the area

I haven't heard about this development until now. It is totally new. It is an excellent location due to the access of J.R. Allen Parkway. I knew that Home Depot was looking into that area. They were looking at a site directly across from Swift where the new Midland Wal-Mart is going in.

There is one going in on River Road. The one that is being built on Williams Road is being developed by the Woodruff Company in Columbus. They are expected to start construction soon. There is so much activity going on it is hard to keep up!

Edited by ATLman1

I haven't heard about this development until now. It is totally new. It is an excellent location due to the access of J.R. Allen Parkway. I knew that Home Depot was looking into that area. They were looking at a site directly across from Swift where the new Midland Wal-Mart is going in.

There is one going in on River Road. The one that is being built on Williams Road is being developed by the Woodruff Company in Columbus. They are expected to start construction soon. There is so much activity going on it is hard to keep up!

Thanx! Wow! Then this really is great news! I am hearing more and more about the half-backers. Northeners who moved to Fla and now want to come half-way back to continue to enjoy good weather but escape crowds/hurricanes in Fla. Seems that that may be a real phenomenon and may explain new condos/development. Columbus a logical location for them -- golf, theater, boating, museums, shopping etc. Small enough to enjoy a relaxed life style but large enough to enjoy extracurricular activities -- and Atlanta only 90 minutes away for the big city experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Airport eyes new airline, commercial development: 20 acres fronting Airport Thruway to get retail, offices, possibly a hotel

Looks like the Columbus Metropolitan Airport is about to takeoff literally! American Airlines might be coming with a direct flight to Dallas/Fort Worth. Here is the article Airport Growth.

Airport eyes new airline, commercial development: 20 acres fronting Airport Thruway to get retail, offices, possibly a hotel

Looks like the Columbus Metropolitan Airport is about to takeoff literally! American Airlines might be coming with a direct flight to Dallas/Fort Worth. Here is the article Airport Growth.

Certainly hope that this happens -- need connections to Charlotte (maybe Nashville) as well. And a dependable connection to Atlanta -- tho I think it will be very difficult for an airline (even a dependable one) to compete with Groome

Was not sure where 20-acres located. Along Airport Thruway directly across from Wal-mart?