Columbus Projects & Developments

ATLman1

Noticed that lot for new proposed Y has been razed, so glad to hear that the project will start soon. Unfortunately, Columbus is prone to the "all sizzle, but no steak" syndrome. Flashy announcements followed by disappointing results -- ie, Phenxian (which may start next year), Phenix Rising (which may or may not be built and may or may not be as tall as announced), that gun manufacturing plant at Muscogee Tech Park that fizzled. So I am keeping my fingers crossed for this.

On a related note, anyone know what exactly is planned for the old Y site? I know that it was bought by First Presbyterian. Are they going to raze the "new" building (a hideous brick eyesore) and build or use for parking? I assume (and hope) that the "old" building will be preserved (maybe used as an annex for Sunday school, rec hall, etc). It is a real beauty -- I believe that it is one of the few Y's built from marble and that it is one of the original ones funded in part or whole by Andrew Carnegie.

Also any word on the remainder of that block of 1st Ave between 10th and 11th? I seem to recall that it was purchased by the Springer with an idea towards expanding its program. Not been by there in a while and not sure what -- if anything -- has been done on that block. There are some really nice buildings in that stretch and I hope that whatever happens there will maintain the existing "look."

What's the status of the old Sears building by the library? Has it started being demolished?

Hi ATLman1, demoliton started earlier this month I got a few photos of whats going on so far the new structure is expected to open early in 2009

wVNQ1d96zz.jpg

zFGWGnTWdz.jpg

qBEArJ81UJ.jpg

I'll try to get more photos as the demolition continues.

Edited by mitchella81

Massive Apartment Complex Coming to North Columbus:

Developer plans second complex

Arlington Ridge to have 456 luxury units near Veterans Parkway

A Raleigh, N.C., developer is planning his second Columbus apartment complex, this time catering primarily to young professionals rather than college students.

Kenney Properties plans to construct the luxury apartment development, to be called Arlington Ridge, on 28 acres of land on the west side of Veterans Parkway just north of Northside High School, Veterans Memorial Middle School and North Columbus Elementary School.

The project cleared its first hurdle Wednesday at the Columbus Planning Advisory Commission. It received a unanimous recommendation for rezoning from single-family residential use to residential multi-family. The case now goes before Columbus Council at a later date for a final rezoning decision.

"Our target market will be the best and brightest in Columbus," Steve Kenney, president of Kenney Properties, said during the PAC meeting. "We want to be a part of your community for a long time. We love Columbus."

There will be 456 apartments in Arlington Ridge, with 90 percent of the units having 1 and 2 bedrooms, the remainder with 3 bedrooms. The exterior of the complex will be brick, while Kenney said the lawn surrounding it will "look like Augusta at the Masters." Amenities will include the typical assortment of pool, clubhouse, fitness center and a sand-based volleyball court.

Tentative lease ranges are $800 to $1,100 per month, he said.

The complex is to be built on a sliver of rocky, hilly land just north of the high school on American Way and the elementary and middle schools on what is known as Old Guard Road. A staff report from the Columbus Planning Department indicates the development could have 30 to 50 school-age children, with those three schools now nearing or exceeding capacity.

There should not be a negative impact on traffic in the area, the city report said. One resident, however, said she is concerned about congestion that already occurs in the area when school begins and lets out each day.

"I think they should widen (Veterans Parkway) first," Daphney Olah, who lives on Galena Road near the proposed apartments.

Columbus zoning administrator Will Johnson pointed out the Georgia Department of Transportation originally had plans to widen Veterans Parkway to Turnberry Lane just north of the apartment site. But that has changed, with the DOT now wanting to four-lane the roadway to Cataula, Ga., in southern Harris County.

"It is still a front-burning road-widening project," Johnson said of the highway project. "We're still negotiating with them to get it back to Turnberry Lane."

This is the second apartment complex in Columbus for Kenney, a former Clemson University offensive lineman who played eight years in the National Football League.

Earlier this year his company completed the first phase of Cougar Village, a 210-unit complex being constructed on 10 acres off Milgen Road near Cooper Creek Park and a short drive from Columbus State University. The development will house about 400 students when finished.

Kenney, on Wednesday, mentioned growth in Columbus as the reason behind his decision to construct more apartments here. He specifically keyed in on the military buildup at Fort Benning, an infantry training installation that stands to gain a combined 30,000 soldiers, civilian workers and family members by 2011.

He praised the work already done by apartment developers in Columbus, but he sees a need for more product on the market.

"I don't know how the surge in housing is going to be met," Kenney said. "We just know the people are coming."

This new complex seems like it will be a great addition. Isnt that teh same area where a PUD was approved recently as well (somewhat south at VP/Williams, I think)

Am confused about one thing. The zoning guy is quoted as negotiating for DOT to get widening project "back" to Turnberry. Why is that? Seems like would want to have road widened all the way to Cataula. In fact, I thought that the plans were already in the pipeline to widen well past Cataula halfway to Hamilton.

This new complex seems like it will be a great addition. Isnt that teh same area where a PUD was approved recently as well (somewhat south at VP/Williams, I think)

Am confused about one thing. The zoning guy is quoted as negotiating for DOT to get widening project "back" to Turnberry. Why is that? Seems like would want to have road widened all the way to Cataula. In fact, I thought that the plans were already in the pipeline to widen well past Cataula halfway to Hamilton.

This will be a great addition to the area. You are correct, the PUD was approved just south of this development. I believe The Woodruff Companies is planning a large live/work lifestyle center for the area. Hopefully something will break ground soon.

As for the DOT issue, I am not sure why he wants to bring it back. The only thing that I can think of is that he thinks construction could begin sooner if it is only to Turnberry instead of waiting longer for engineering/right-of-way to be done for the entire expansion. I believe the plan is to take Veterans all the way up past Cataula.

Has anybody heard anything else about what is going in around KOHLS? I heard a rumor about a Guitar Center coming to town but nothing concrete. I do know that a Bonefish Grill has purchased property over there and plan to open around the beginning of the year. I have noticed quite a few Dave and Buster's commercials on local TV lately. This is usually a sign of interest in a market. The same thing happened right before Kohl's and TGIFridays announced plan to come.

What ever happened to Bonefish? I love that restaurant? Also Guitar Center would be cool. They would put Everything Musical out of business though, or at least force them to change they way they allow (or don't allow) shoppers to sample instruments?

This will be a great addition to the area. You are correct, the PUD was approved just south of this development. I believe The Woodruff Companies is planning a large live/work lifestyle center for the area. Hopefully something will break ground soon.

As for the DOT issue, I am not sure why he wants to bring it back. The only thing that I can think of is that he thinks construction could begin sooner if it is only to Turnberry instead of waiting longer for engineering/right-of-way to be done for the entire expansion. I believe the plan is to take Veterans all the way up past Cataula.

Wow, good news for the area... don't envy commuters on 27... but great for business! Between Blackmon, Grey Rock, Greystone and now this, I county about 1,077 MFR units in that general area...

Columbus Tech does not get as much press as CSU, but it is very big community asset. the news this week that Dr. Wright -- a former councilman, businessman and generous benefactor -- will contribute $ 1 M towards the new health Science Building is great for the school and for the whole community. Although the state is kicking in $16 M, the fact that an additional $ 9 M (including Dr. Wrights $ 1 M) in private funds have been added to that to enhance the new facility shows that the Columbus community is very interested in keeping its young folks and stopping the "brain drain." Columbus Tech is a real asset which is under appreciated.

What ever happened to Bonefish? I love that restaurant? Also Guitar Center would be cool. They would put Everything Musical out of business though, or at least force them to change they way they allow (or don't allow) shoppers to sample instruments?

Bonefish is still coming to my knowledge. I talked with a banker from CB&T, and he said a lot of new stuff is coming in beside Ashley Furniture Home Store.

Looks like another Starbucks is coming to Bradley Park Drive. Anyone know where?

I'm not sure about the bradley park starbucks store, but I know theres a new local coffee house being built at the intersection of 2nd Ave and 44th street. I believe its called java house or java time construction is nearly complete on the building. Also theres been alot of rumors circulating about a new midtown starbucks on Wynnton near the main Aflac campus. It may become a reality now with the city recieving that massive grant. Also have learned that White house coffee is looking at the midtown Columbus area. More growth in midtown is a new CVS and strip shopping center is being constructed at the intersection of Macon Road & Auburn Avenue everything on that block has been torn down this week: American Deli, Mr. Transmission, The old Central Park Hamburgers, Love jewlers, and the radio wholesale. A new store called city gear has put their signs up for a new store next to Publix in cross country plaza.

Oh not sure if anyone has heard about this but Phenix City officials have been working with a Fort Worth, Texas firm and trying to attract Bass Pro shops to the riverfront in downtown Phenix City. Nothing is in concrete yet, but it appears bass pro shops is coming to town one way or the other everyone has been thinking it was going near Columbus Park Crossing or north Columbus. I believe Phenix City does have a good chance at landing the store mainly because of the fact of the property there looking to use is near the river and lately Bass Pro shops has been placing there stores in the suburban cities not the central cities as was the case in a Montgomery, AL store that opened earlier this year rather than in montgomery a city slightly larger than Columbus they placed it in the suburb of Prattville a town smaller than Phenix City.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure about the bradley park starbucks store, but I know theres a new local coffee house being built at the intersection of 2nd Ave and 44th street. I believe its called java house or java time construction is nearly complete on the building. Also theres been alot of rumors circulating about a new midtown starbucks on Wynnton near the main Aflac campus. It may become a reality now with the city recieving that massive grant. Also have learned that White house coffee is looking at the midtown Columbus area. More growth in midtown is a new CVS and strip shopping center is being constructed at the intersection of Macon Road & Auburn Avenue everything on that block has been torn down this week: American Deli, Mr. Transmission, The old Central Park Hamburgers, Love jewlers, and the radio wholesale. A new store called city gear has put their signs up for a new store next to Publix in cross country plaza.

I was mistaken the new coffehouse going up on second avenue is called "Back on the Grind Coffee" The building is up and construction crews are finishing up the parking and drive-thru areas. Where is the Bradley Park Starbucks suppose to be located?

--Also retailer city gear moved into Columbus with two locations. The midtown location in cross country opened this past week and theres a second store on South Lumpkin road in the riverplace shopping center behind Bank of America.

Edited by mitchella81

I was mistaken the new coffehouse going up on second avenue is called "Back on the Grind Coffee" The building is up and construction crews are finishing up the parking and drive-thru areas. Where is the Bradley Park Starbucks suppose to be located?

Where on 2d Ave? Bibb City? Is it possible that my dream of Bibb City becoming the Buckhead of Columbus is actually starting to come to pass? :-) From little acorns ....

Not sure where Starbuck's will be located in BP. Was just in that area and did not see any signs. However, there is a great coffee shop there already. Cant remember the name, but in the area of Jay Toyota (because I walk over there when getting car serviced), Columbus Cooks and the ice cream place (Brusters?). Hope that Starbuck's wont adversely affect that place. BP is a big area, so it could support two coffee places so long as they were not too close together.

Where on 2d Ave? Bibb City? Is it possible that my dream of Bibb City becoming the Buckhead of Columbus is actually starting to come to pass? :-) From little acorns ....

Not sure where Starbuck's will be located in BP. Was just in that area and did not see any signs. However, there is a great coffee shop there already. Cant remember the name, but in the area of Jay Toyota (because I walk over there when getting car serviced), Columbus Cooks and the ice cream place (Brusters?). Hope that Starbuck's wont adversely affect that place. BP is a big area, so it could support two coffee places so long as they were not too close together.

The new coffee house on second avenue is near the intersection of 44th street on the same side of the street as the shell gas station in what was that vacant lot next to the gas station.

I know the one your talking about I believe it's a Fountain City Coffee. There is also another coffee shop further up at the intersection of Whittlesley Rd & Whitesville Road it's inbetween the staybridge hotel & that new liquor store. I forgot the name though.

The new coffee house on second avenue is near the intersection of 44th street on the same side of the street as the shell gas station in what was that vacant lot next to the gas station.

I know the one your talking about I believe it's a Fountain City Coffee. There is also another coffee shop further up at the intersection of Whittlesley Rd & Whitesville Road it's inbetween the staybridge hotel & that new liquor store. I forgot the name though.

Thanx. I was just in Bibb City a few weeks back looking at a lot(s) overlooking the river just north of the Bibb Mill. Did not get as far as 44/45th St. Will check it out when I am down next and over that way.

• 3 weeks later...

Any news on what Brasfield & Gorrie is constructing on Moon Road? That is a huge piece of cleared land.

I have no idea what it is. I've called nearly every contact I have and no one knows anything. I drive by there everyday so hopefully soon something will pop up saying what it is. A new shopping center of some sort would be a nice addition to that area.

It is going in the former Schlotzsky's Deli building. Not sure when it will open though,

I figured this, pretty big place though - it was a full-size restaurant.

Also, I heard that JCPenny was looking at moving to the strip mall - I don't know how good the source is. Also, Kirkland closed, and the same person told me that 20 stores are looking to pull out of Peachtree Mall because their lease are up.

Lubi, Corn Dog 7, Kirklands, Bombay have all gone now/soon.