Columbus Projects & Developments

ATLman1

I figured this, pretty big place though - it was a full-size restaurant.

Also, I heard that JCPenny was looking at moving to the strip mall - I don't know how good the source is. Also, Kirkland closed, and the same person told me that 20 stores are looking to pull out of Peachtree Mall because their lease are up.

Lubi, Corn Dog 7, Kirklands, Bombay have all gone now/soon.

Yea, the entire Bombay chain folded around the country. I doubt that many stores will be pulling out. General Growth Properties is too big to let that happen. It is also too nice of a mall. If JC Penny is looking, I would think it would be a 2nd store, not just a move. There is not enough land left in Columbus Park to build that size of a store anyways. Columbus is growing way to fast to have something like that happen.

Edited by ATLman1

Yea, the entire Bombay chain folded around the country. I doubt that many stores will be pulling out. General Growth Properties is too big to let that happen. It is also too nice of a mall. If JC Penny is looking, I would think it would be a 2nd store, not just a move. There is not enough land left in Columbus Park to build that size of a store anyways. Columbus is growing way to fast to have something like that happen.

I'm not saying that I think that it will happen. My response to the information they person gave me was "GGP is a great company and the brought some really nice stores to Columbus - even if 20 stores pulled out, they'd do all they could to bring even better stores to the area.

As far as JCPenny, you don't think they could fit a small one like they did at Newnan Crossings in Newnan?

I'm not saying that I think that it will happen. My response to the information they person gave me was "GGP is a great company and the brought some really nice stores to Columbus - even if 20 stores pulled out, they'd do all they could to bring even better stores to the area.

As far as JCPenny, you don't think they could fit a small one like they did at Newnan Crossings in Newnan?

They might could fit one in. Ben Carter's 3rd phase is a lifestyle type center that doesn't look like it has the space for a JC Penny. The land behind the CB&T is slated for something else. I can't remember what for though. I'll ask around to see if I can find out.

They might could fit one in. Ben Carter's 3rd phase is a lifestyle type center that doesn't look like it has the space for a JC Penny. The land behind the CB&T is slated for something else. I can't remember what for though. I'll ask around to see if I can find out.

I don't remember that land being for anything, but I thought I heard (from this board) that Bass Pro Shop was thinking about locating there, Bed Carter's website doesn't list anything there as of yet, though in the plans they do list a building next to Ashley, just nothing there yet.

Synovus building data center

$22 million Moon Road facility should open by early 2009

Synovus Financial Corp. is constructing a $22 million data center on Moon Road in Columbus, a facility that should handle the regional banking firm's needs for the next quarter century.

Dubbed the Synovus Technology Center, the 50,000-square-foot structure should be ready to occupy in about a year. The building will be expandable to 100,000 square feet on the 10.5-acre site, Scott McGlaun, Synovus chief information officer, said Wednesday.

Modernization, security, company growth and the relentless trend toward fewer paper documents and more electronic ones guided management's decision to invest in the center, he said.

"If you look out into the world, we're moving further and further away from paper and more to an electronic means of conducting business, and anything that moves into an electronic form drives your appetite for technology," McGlaun said.

"Take all of those factors into consideration and this is something that we've discussed and we've planned probably 24 to 36 months before you actually see anything taking shape out there on this 10-acre site," he said.

The new facility won't mean any more employees in Columbus, however. Synovus has about 200 people in its information technology division. Fewer than 25 will work at the new data center, and they will transfer from within the division.

Synovus, headquartered in Columbus, has offices scattered around the city, many of those downtown. The bankholding firm operates 39 banks in five Southeastern states -- Georgia, Alabama, Florida, South Carolina and Tennessee. It employs 7,400 companywide.

Synovus Technology Center looks to be the most expensive Columbus construction project for the company since the TSYS corporate headquarters opened downtown in 1999. The price tag for the 54-acre complex was $100 million.

The Synovus Centre office complex, which houses the banking firm's executive management, was completed in 2004. The cost for that 125,000-square-foot structure overlooking the Chattahoochee River was $16 million.

Birmingham, Ala.-based Brasfield & Gorrie LLC is the general contractor for the latest project, which is at 7300 Moon road, just north of J.R. Allen Parkway.

The site was chosen, McGlaun said, because of its proximity to multiple power and telecommunications networks that will give the data center backup resources should primary sources fail. Columbus is well known for being heavily wired with fiber optic lines that offer businesses top-notch telecommunications service.

Synovus building data center

$22 million Moon Road facility should open by early 2009

Well that explains what all the land moving on moon road is. It seems like such a large area being cleared for just 25 employees and I guess the majority of that $22million investment will be for technoligical connections. If anyone can find a sketch of how the new building is going to look please post it.

Well that explains what all the land moving on moon road is. It seems like such a large area being cleared for just 25 employees and I guess the majority of that $22million investment will be for technoligical connections. If anyone can find a sketch of how the new building is going to look please post it.

As it said, 50k s.f expandable to 100k - the building is for computers, not people. It will be probably be completely undistinguished; data centers all look like blocks/big boxes - completely utilitarian like warehouses/distro centers, but with less openings. The structures are relatively expensive because of the special demands of a building dedicated to holding computers - raised flooring, cabling, networking equipment, large and redundant air handling (HVAC), batteries and diesel generators for backup power and security systems.

The $22M number probably includes some new systems (mid-range, mainframe servers), as companies often simply buy new equipment since it's simpler to move/copy data to new machines across the network than to try to move the machines w/ data to the site. The old machines are traded in or sold to used equipment vendors.

• 2 weeks later...

Checkers Hamburgers has broke ground on it's 3rd Columbus resturant in less than a year. The newest one is going in the midtown area along Macon/Wynnton road at the intersection of Hilton Avenue. Directly in front of the old olympic health spa building.

I know there is one on Buena Vista Road - where is the 2nd location? I love some Checkers but I don't want to drive all the way over there, Macon Road is alot closer to the college - so that's good.

A new indoor go-kart track and arcade will open Saturday in the old Mansours building. The name is zoo city. This could be a welcome addition to the area.

This has been in the works for months, it's a family business by two local business men that wanted to start up a place like this.

It's going to feature kids and adults go karts, blacklight golf, video games, puppets for the kids, adults room with wifi and food court.

I'm going to the pre-grand opening should be great, looks awesome.

http://www.zoocityusa.com

An Article will appear in tommrows Ledger that will announce

Starbucks will open its 4th columbus location at the old Scholtzkys deli on Bradley Park Drive. The company is investing $214,000 into renovation of the deli and it is set to open by the end of March.

Arbys on Veterans downtown will be relcating to a 5,200 square foot retail center being constructed at the intersection of Veterans Parkway and 15th street. That same center will have a dunkin' donuts/ Baskin Robbins combination. opening is set for about 10 months on that

Cool picture of the Columbus Library building and the demolition of the old Sears building. The new 4-story $30 million dollar Muscogee County School District office building will be built on the old Sears site. Construction is expected to begin this summer.

636-sears.embedded.prod_affiliate.70.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

A lot's to change off 13th

A once-quiet corner of Columbus is about to get a face-lift suitable for a night on the town.

Dinglewood Park, on the east side of Warren Williams Road south of 13th Street, is during the day a peaceful place where workers park to eat lunch in their cars.

At night it becomes overflow parking for Locos Bar & Grill and other businesses across the street in the Village on 13th, the area redeveloped by Jackson-Burgin Commercial Leasing and Development.

The unlighted parking lot for Dinglewood Park -- a shady stretch of grass and picnic tables stretching east along Weracoba Creek -- is supposed to have been closing at dark. Some people don't feel safe there at night.

Because of the park's dusk closing, the police could have run everybody out of there at night, had they wanted to, forcing Village on 13th customers to park elsewhere, said Jackson-Burgin President Will Burgin.

So he made city leaders an offer they didn't refuse:

Lease that parking lot to him for $1 a year, and he'd light it and fix it up.

Columbus Council agreed, and in a few weeks the work should start. Among the changes Burgin has planned for the half-acre parking lot:

KODAK EXPANDING IT'S COLUMBUS PLANT

COLUMBUS, Ga.(WTVM)--Kodak broke ground Friday afternoon to add a 16,000 square foot facility to the exiting building.

Company officials say consumer demand has forced them to expand.

"The demand for our products place has grown. We are really excited to invest 15 million dollars in the community," said Plant Manager Sue Hall.

The expansion will enable the company to more efficiently produce current and future generation digital plates. The increased plate production will create an addition 30 to 50 jobs to the already 250 employees on staff.

Columbus Chamber President Mike Gaymon says just he construction along will create even more jobs.

"Of course there are indirect jobs because somebody is going to be building this facility. Plus, we will be selling more electricity and that means more jobs. Since they will be selling more products that means more jobs. There're both a lot of indirect with direct jobs," said Columbus Chamber President Mike Gaymon.

"Anytime you add to payroll it's good for everybody. We added wages and are looking forward to bringing in talented people to the area," said Nancy Cot Director of Plant Operations.

Company officials say construction on the new facility began today and will be complete by second quarter of 2009

QUOTE FROM LEDGER

What does a $15 million expansion by Kodak in Columbus say to Mike Gaymon?

"It says manufacturing jobs are still alive in Columbus," said Gaymon, president and CEO of the Greater Columbus Chamber of Commerce. "It says high-paying, skilled jobs are still alive in Columbus."

And what does Kodak's plan to add 16,000 square feet to its facility and up to 50 jobs say to Columbus Mayor Jim Wetherington, who was among the dignitaries at a Friday groundbreaking?

Well, it says Columbus is doing something right.

"We realize that Kodak could have gone anywhere in the world, made this expansion in any number of places, and chose Columbus," Wetherington said. For that, he said, Columbus is "grateful."

Plant manager Sue Hall, who has been on the job here for eight months, called the expansion exciting. She said the addition to the plant should be finished in 2009.

"This plant has a long history of very talented employees," she said of the company that currently employs 250 at its Corporate Ridge Business Park location. "It's good to be on the growing end of a business."

It is growth of the demand for digital plates that drove Kodak to expand to a third plate production line. The high-technology, digital printing plates are used throughout North and South America to print things such as books, magazines, boxes and bumper stickers.

Kodak will use the third production line to meet the digital plate supply needs of print service providers in a wide variety of markets.

In a press release, John Robinson, general manager and vice president of Printing Plate Business, Prepress Solutions, Kodak's Graphic Communications Group, said, "This exciting investment in new digital plate capacity in Columbus builds on a sustained strategy of enhancing our digital plate presence in the Americas. It is consistent with Kodak's commitment to being a complete solutions provider for the computer plate needs of our customers."

The plant first opened in 1990 by Sun Chemical to produce Polychrome plates. In 1998, the company entered a joint venture with Kodak to form Kodak Polychrome Graphics. Kodak Polychrome Graphics became a wholly owned subsidiary of Kodak in 2005.

The facility now produces a broad portfolio of conventional and digital plates.

Some tax incentives were offered to make the deal.

"With the talk of all the manufacturing jobs going overseas," Gaymon said, "it's not only important to bring in new industries, but to work hard to keep the ones we have and see them expand."

He said an expansion is sometimes "less disruptive" than a new plant.

"We don't have to build roads," Gaymon said. "Water and sewer lines are already there."

This expansion, he said, means Kodak has no thoughts of leaving town.

"We'll be eagerly awaiting Kodak's next expansion," Gaymon said.

Edited by mitchella81

• 3 weeks later...

Baker deal wins approval

Company buys high school for $1.3 million, plans to erect housing for military families

The Muscogee County School Board sold Baker High School for $1.3 million Monday night to a company planning to erect multi-family housing units catering to the military on the Victory Drive site.

The board voted 7-1, with board member Patricia Hugley-Green dissenting, to sell the former high school property to Place Acquisition LLC of Atlanta.

Board member Joseph Roberson said he hopes Place Acquisition will agree to erection of an appropriate monument at the Baker site, but he sees the company's plan for units appealing to military men and women and their families as a benefit to the community greater than maintaining a group of dilapidated and vacant structures.

The Place Acquisition development manager last week told the board his company will examine renovation and demolition prospects before deciding whether all the Baker buildings will be razed. He also indicated the company would be amenable to placing an appropriate monument at the site. The company plans to spend $20 million developing the property.

Edited by ATLman1

Skateboarders one step closer to skate park: City broke ground Monday; park to be completed within three months

509-SkateparkWEB.embedded.prod_affiliate.70.jpg

A place for skateboarders to play may be only three months away. The city broke ground on the project Monday, and expects the work to be done in just 80-90 days, Deputy City Manager Lisa Goodwin said Tuesday.

Columbus Council in June 2007 chose California Skateparks Inc. of Upland, Calif., to build the 33,000-square-foot facility that's to have concrete bowls and a plaza area for skateboarders to practice their tricks on. The city held public meetings to find out what the skateboarders wanted in the park.

On Tuesday, councilors agreed to let the city's Parks and Recreation Department apply to the Tony Hawk Foundation for a $25,000 grant to help pay for bleachers, lighting and a shelter for the skate park. The city would not have to provide any funds to match the grant.

The city government is paying for the park with money from a bond issue.

The park is being named the "The Jonathan Hatcher Skateboard Park" in memory of a 19-year-old Columbus State University freshman who died Nov. 5, 2005. As president of the Columbus Youth Advisory Council, Hatcher in high school pushed to get the skate park built.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The new MCSD building is only 3 stories for under $18 million.

Cool picture of the Columbus Library building and the demolition of the old Sears building. The new 4-story $30 million dollar Muscogee County School District office building will be built on the old Sears site. Construction is expected to begin this summer.

636-sears.embedded.prod_affiliate.70.jpg