Columbus Projects & Developments

ATLman1

That is going to be the new Rob Doll Nissan. It's suppose to be twice the size of the current location on Box Road There is a drawing of the master plan in one of these forums that shows use of hotels and other structures at the location.

I think I've seen a detailed layout of the proposed development. I wasn't too impressed with it, but I do hope that it does serve more than just being a car dealership and hotel. In my opinion, they should have incorporated something with greater density... and the hotel is too small (just 2 stories). I have really taken a liking to the Staybridge Suites up there... and would have loved to see another 4-5 story hotel. Preferably 5-7 stories since that immediate area only has three or four hotels. If it's going to be surrounded by those hotels... it's also going to need to be competitive. I think it's time we got something like a Hyatt or Hilton for that area. Not the little "sub-versions" Hilton, Hyatt, and Marriott. I mean a full blown 4 star Hilton, Hyatt, or Marriott.

I think I've seen a detailed layout of the proposed development. I wasn't too impressed with it, but I do hope that it does serve more than just being a car dealership and hotel. In my opinion, they should have incorporated something with greater density... and the hotel is too small (just 2 stories). I have really taken a liking to the Staybridge Suites up there... and would have loved to see another 4-5 story hotel. Preferably 5-7 stories since that immediate area only has three or four hotels. If it's going to be surrounded by those hotels... it's also going to need to be competitive. I think it's time we got something like a Hyatt or Hilton for that area. Not the little "sub-versions" Hilton, Hyatt, and Marriott. I mean a full blown 4 star Hilton, Hyatt, or Marriott.

A full blown Doubeltree is opening just off of Airport Thruway at The Landings. It's the old Sheraton and is being completely remodeled into a cosmopolitan hotel complete with a Houlihan's. I love the architectural style they chose. Though the Landings was redone very well, I wouldn't have minded of all of the Landings had gone to a bold style like that to set it apart. I couldn't find an image, but if you get a chance, go on buy and take a look.

Does anyone no what there doing to the I185 interstate that goes threw the columbus metro area at the end going toward fort benning I heard rumors that this is where there adding on to the interstate to make it bigger so are they going to make it a three lane all the way down to fort benning I hope they make it a three lane all the way down to fort benning oh and another thing I see that they have allready put up some barrier wall poles on some parts of the I185 interstate are they going to put barrier walls up where they already have the barrier poles in place I hope they do put up the barrier walls because that would look nice. oh and one more question are they going to put up the message boards like they have in atlanta on the I185 interstate in columbus I hope they put up the message boards because they would look great on that interstate going threw columbus they need to also put up some message boards on the jr allen parkway highway.

A full blown Doubeltree is opening just off of Airport Thruway at The Landings. It's the old Sheraton and is being completely remodeled into a cosmopolitan hotel complete with a Houlihan's. I love the architectural style they chose. Though the Landings was redone very well, I wouldn't have minded of all of the Landings had gone to a bold style like that to set it apart. I couldn't find an image, but if you get a chance, go on buy and take a look.

00_img_columbusgeorgiaairporthotelv2.jpg

Definitely a nice addition to the area. Wish something would be done with the old Firehouse club down the street. That's such a nice piece of real estate.

O so true I wish they would open it back up as a nightclub it would certainly be a great addition to that area with all the nice casual dining resturants in that area it would be great if there was something there to do after midnight in that area.

Another CVS Pharmacy has been built in is preparing to open up this month in Columbus. It is in front of the Grove Park Luxury development at the intersection of Whitesville Road & Double Churches road. It has a very unique look to it a grey stone exterior as opposed to bricks like many of there stores the Look is certainly unique

• 2 weeks later...

A new CVS is going some where in South Columbus (don't know the location as of yet), it may be somewhere along Levy Road.

Also, a Dollar Tree is set to go in the place of Fred's next to Hobby Lobby in the near future.

Dollar Tree was always in that plaza before. I don't know when they decided to move out, but they did... and I suppose they are coming back? That makes them look very indecisive about settling in that location.

New "Gateway Project" at Ft. Benning's entrance...

http://www.wtvm.com/Global/story.asp?S=100...mp;nav=menu91_3

This is going to really make Columbus stand above the rest... a major monument, if I must say. There is nothing else like it in any other secondary/major city in the U.S.

This will look very nice. I still say it was a mistake not to go ahead and reconfigure I-185 and 280 to extend I-185 limited access through Ft Benning to GA-26 in ChattCo. Now, when that project does happen, that interchange will have to be re-done... what a waste.

New Retail Center for North Columbus: Veterans Commons

Great Beginnings Child Care, Mongo Grill set for Old Moon Road corner

A supersized child-care center and a restaurant specializing in Asian stir-fry are coming to a retail and service center in north Columbus.

This is part of the first phase of Veterans Commons, now under construction on six acres of land at the northeast corner of Veterans Parkway and Old Moon Road.

Great Beginnings Child Care is locating inside its own 14,000-square-foot building on the back side of the property. The company is looking for a second in south Columbus near Fort Benning.

Fronting Veterans Commons, meanwhile, is a 15,000-square-foot shopping center that will be anchored by a restaurant called Mongo Grill. The eatery, which will seat 160, should open by June.

Guests are allowed to choose from an array of meat, vegetables and spices, then watch as the dish is cooked in a large grill over high heat. It essentially customizes the meal by offering a large number of flavor combinations.

Columbus-based Allen Development Group is constructing Veterans Commons. Company President Bud Allen said the first phase covers three of the six acres.

More space available

After Mongo Grill moves in to the initial phase, there will be room for four more tenants, mostly small retail and serviced oriented.

Edited by Columbus1984

This will look very nice. I still say it was a mistake not to go ahead and reconfigure I-185 and 280 to extend I-185 limited access through Ft Benning to GA-26 in ChattCo. Now, when that project does happen, that interchange will have to be re-done... what a waste.

I agree 100%... if they are supposed to be extending I-185 all the way to Florida, then this project will only make it harder to make that feasible. If it was Atlanta, something like this wouldn't even have the time of day. That whole highway would have been redirected and merged into 280. That intersection further down would have been reconfigured as well.

Sadly, I've just accepted that Columbus will probably never grow/develop the way it should. I'm 19, and I have absolutely no intention in living in a place like this... (it's depressing in my opinion) - I'm here for school. But since it IS my hometown, I still hope that in time... a higher population and crazy sprawl will force it into absolutely unbearable traffic, car smog, and wasted resources -- quickly. It's sad... but to be honest, if it wasn't for all of these factors, Atlanta wouldn't be doing what it's doing now. So I guess this must be a Southern trend --- wait until the poor use of resources in sprawl is absolutely ridiculous before following the national trend -- going green and living efficiently in an urbanized environment.

Besides... since Columbus is on a dead end interstate, it's not like we have a huge flow of traffic from people who are headed to and from the Florida panhandle. Ft. Benning is the largest employer, employing at least 35-40% of Columbus's workforce (I speculate), so what good would it do to have them reconfigure the alignment of the interstate, if most of the traffic is headed in the other direction?

I agree 100%... if they are supposed to be extending I-185 all the way to Florida, then this project will only make it harder to make that feasible. If it was Atlanta, something like this wouldn't even have the time of day. That whole highway would have been redirected and merged into 280. That intersection further down would have been reconfigured as well.

Sadly, I've just accepted that Columbus will probably never grow/develop the way it should. I'm 19,

Woah, you're 19? You're well spoken (written) and thoughtful for your age. By school, I assume you mean CSU. What's your major, if you don't mind my asking?

I am 25, and I majored in Real Estate from UGA. Columbus is developing itself much better than the other 2nd tier cities. Our amenities are so much better than what you would find in other 2nd tier cities. We have only seen the tip of the iceberg on what this city has planned. I have seen plans for the additional phases of CPC, it is going to be amazing. It has been postponed unfortunately due to the economy.

I am 25, and I majored in Real Estate from UGA. Columbus is developing itself much better than the other 2nd tier cities. Our amenities are so much better than what you would find in other 2nd tier cities. We have only seen the tip of the iceberg on what this city has planned. I have seen plans for the additional phases of CPC, it is going to be amazing. It has been postponed unfortunately due to the economy.

We're lucky to have a younger generation on board here.

Regarding Columbus' growth patterns, etc. I agree Columbus public sector and generous benefactors have put a lot of money into the arts, entertainment and recreation. I think we have an arts infrastructure to rival cities twice our size (though the Civic Center was built too small, I still contend).

However, where we're experiencing just ho-hum growth instead of visionary in my opinion, is the continued suburban-style development. CPC is immense, but nothing special otherwise, except that Ben Carter brought alot of brands to the city that might not have considered this market otherwise.

Columbus lacks it's own visionary developers. Like I said, we have very good suburban-style developers. We need to compliment all of the investment in cosmopolitan arts and entertainment development with some good mixed use development in town. Developers in Macon are making great strides in this area downtown. Our Uptown Inc, on the other hand, bragged about seven new apartments in uptown in 2008. We have to do better than that.

Too, the failure to follow through with the trolley (light rail) is a huge mistake.

Woah, you're 19? You're well spoken (written) and thoughtful for your age. By school, I assume you mean CSU. What's your major, if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks... and yes... I am at CSU. Right now I've not really decided on a major. I am absolutely horrible in math (I struggle a lot) so all of the things I am really interested in like architecture, urban planning and development... are out of the question. I am a very good writer though... and that is something that I am very passionate about. So, I suppose it'd have to be a field that is writing intensive.

Concerning the economic viability of Columbus and working toward formulating the comprehensive plan for Columbus... I assumed an active role throughout much of the earlier months of 2008. I was 18 then... I had attended the forums, workshops... even took up an administrative assistant position at Midtown, Inc. However, I quickly became discouraged after I began to realize that none of my input really amounted to anything. Especially considering the simple fact that I am not a business owner, developer... someone who could be one of the catalysts propelling the change that I sought so adamantly for the city.

I guess you could say that being a part of the forums has really become a way to bury myself into something I love. I really don't have friends or a life down here (and that's the reason why I really don't want to stay here); I spend all day looking watching CNN, writing poetry, homework/study, and looking up new developments coming to Atlanta and Columbus. Either way, it's still my hometown... and I would hope that maybe someday... it will be open to change.

OH AND TO GET BACK ON TOPIC... :D

Does anyone know what the designs will look like for the Baker Village Revitalization? What about the new construction going up across the Brewer School on Buena Vista Road?

Edited by xikartu

• 2 weeks later...

Something is going in the old Backyard Burger, there is alcohol licence sign outside now.

Fountain City Coffee closed their Landings location

Baskin Robins opened their Landings location last weekend.

I hate that BYB closed. But maybe a Loco's is coming. Probably a bit too small, though...