Columbus Projects & Developments

ATLman1

I think that some of you asked about what's going next to Hampton Inn on N. Lake Loop. Found out today that it's going to be Summerfield Suites. Link to plans are available on Twitter, @columbusretail

So its going to be a new hotel thats great news do you know how many stories its going to be i hope its going to be a 7 or 8 story hotel or i hope it will be as tall as the hoilday inn express over there in that area.

You'll see the $96 million dollar Koonce Place 20-year project in the paper tomorrow (leaked here months ago). Woodruff is planning a round of shopping center and life/work/play areas in the next few years. The newest of those will be The Village (a better built-from the ground up) version of the The Landings out by Beaver Run. No big names released yet but it's going to include a big appartment community and 6 acre lake. More on this later. Also, they're still talking about The Grove out on 315 but we'll see if that ever heats up.

I was out at Columbus Park Crossing today and noticed heavy equipment next to Ashley furniture. Wonder if something is finally going in there. They cleared that lot years ago but nothing ever happened. Anyone have any ideas about what might be going on?

I saw this too- I'm going to ask around. I'll let you know.

• 4 weeks later...

This is the retail/shopping development that they annouced a while back, it's called Patriot's Walk, site plan is attached.

Thanks. I actually just sat through the entire Council debate of the night and finally go to the part about Patriots Walk. The site plan looks exciting. I hope the 'Multi-Family Urban' is what it sounds like. She said Woodruff was hired on a 'fee basis' to develop the project. Who hired them? Who's the actual developer? As exciting a project as this is, it doesn't come up in any google or Ledger-Enquirer searches... Still, a little more nuanced name for the project would have been appreciated. "Patriots" is so overused and vanilla.

Edited by aboutmetro

Thanks. I actually just sat through the entire Council debate of the night and finally go to the part about Patriots Walk. The site plan looks exciting. I hope the 'Multi-Family Urban' is what it sounds like. She said Woodruff was hired on a 'fee basis' to develop the project. Who hired them? Who's the actual developer? As exciting a project as this is, it doesn't come up in any google or Ledger-Enquirer searches...

National Infantry Museum, they actually own the land.

National Infantry Museum, they actually own the land.

Interesting. Maybe they'll make enough money to bring a current blockbuster to the IMAX.

Seriously though, I wondered about the property's tax status so looked on Columbus' parcel map website. If I'm looking at the right spot, that shows up as Ft Benning land... South of Boral Brick land parcel number 059 059 007?

Edited by aboutmetro

• 4 weeks later...

Oh and does anybody know when the multi million dollar with the woodruff company is going to get started if im correct its going to be in south columbus.I watched the columbus city coucil meeting online last week and it was supposed to be approved by city council in two weeks does anybody know if it got approved i pretty sure it did because all the city council were pleased,excited and amazed by it.

Oh and does anybody know when the multi million dollar with the woodruff company is going to get started if im correct its going to be in south columbus.I watched the columbus city coucil meeting online last week and it was supposed to be approved by city council in two weeks does anybody know if it got approved i pretty sure it did because all the city council were pleased,excited and amazed by it.

It was approved. First part includes building a road. I doubt you will see any dirt moving until at least next summer if not later than that.

It was approved. First part includes building a road. I doubt you will see any dirt moving until at least next summer if not later than that.

Well here's a little good news business wise for Columbus. Aarons rent to own is opening is 4th local store on Veterans Parkway in Columbus in the old Farmers Furniture Store. I saw the signs last night up on the building. Farmers moved to a larger showroom on Macon Road in the old Toy's R us store.

Also some great news for Columbus-South A new Hampton Inn will be built along South Lumpkin Road near the National Infantry museum. Groundbreaking should be soon, but no details yet on how many rooms or floors will be in the new hotel.

• 4 weeks later...

This isn't specifically about a project - but generally about how trees fit into projects & designs. Hal Pope produced the video. It gives a good look at Ashley Park too.

It's kind-of telling, too, how the only retail area they felt could showcase the princables of incorporating trees is The Landings. The Landings did a great job (Cudos to Woodruff). Conversely, the Columbus Council let Ben Carter Properties off the hook in the Crossings, requiring far fewer than was required...

Last comment is one of the best properties demonstrated in the video - Hammonds Ferry - is actually in North Augusta. That's the kind of development Columbus GA needs... Hammonds Ferry Riverfront

Build Greener: Growing Dollars and Sense with Trees video here -

Edited by aboutmetro

• 2 weeks later...

Developers Seeking Rezoning Approval for Midland Downs Project off Macon Road

125-acre project to offer single-family homes, apartments, small commercial area

Two Columbus developers are planning a 125-acre, mixed-use development in the northeast panhandle area of Columbus. It is to be called Midland Downs.

The project, located off Macon Road between the Pratt & Whitney and Precision Components International plants, will be a blend of single-family residents and apartments, along with a small commercial area.

The project includes 242 single-family homes and about 200 multi-family units that would be accessed via a road that is now being built on the north side of the property to connect Macon Road with Garrett Road. The city and developers are splitting the cost of the $2 million road, which will run a mile from Garrett to Macon.

Developers Seeking Rezoning Approval for Midland Downs Project off Macon Road

125-acre project to offer single-family homes, apartments, small commercial area

Two Columbus developers are planning a 125-acre, mixed-use development in the northeast panhandle area of Columbus. It is to be called Midland Downs.

The project, located off Macon Road between the Pratt & Whitney and Precision Components International plants, will be a blend of single-family residents and apartments, along with a small commercial area.

The project includes 242 single-family homes and about 200 multi-family units that would be accessed via a road that is now being built on the north side of the property to connect Macon Road with Garrett Road. The city and developers are splitting the cost of the $2 million road, which will run a mile from Garrett to Macon.

Exciting news. The road will be a good access to have again from the north. Have you seen a project site plan?

$22M development in works for Columbus

Alabama-based Homecorp Inc. to build two apartment complexes, neighborhood center in Columbus; company also building apartment complex in Opelika

Two apartment complexes and a neighborhood shopping center are on the drawing board for the Columbus and east Alabama area.

Montgomery, Ala.-based Homecorp Inc. said Friday it has started construction of a 292-unit luxury apartment complex on 22 acres of land at 8160 Veterans Parkway.Developer Ben Billings said he’s close to beginning construction on a 12,000-square-foot neighborhood strip center on 1.7 acres near the intersection of Blackmon and Warm Springs roads. The center is already 60 percent pre-leased

Anyone know if something is being developed across from the Rite Aid and Wendy's on JR Allen Pkwy? I saw Heavy equipment bent unloaded on a site that was supposed to be developed years ago by Jacoby development. I know at one time there was talk of putting a Super Target over there. Any thoughts??

I'm not sure about the Jacoby Development but I know that the last I heard Woodruff was developing a from-the-ground-up version of The Landings called The Village at Beaver Run. The first of those announced was a rumored Chick-fil-A. The development is going to include apartments in the back and commercial in the front-- just like the Knooce's Place development in North Columbus.

e8369fbd662ae2bb85edf3f4213130ea.png

I'm not sure about the Jacoby Development but I know that the last I heard Woodruff was developing a from-the-ground-up version of The Landings called The Village at Beaver Run. The first of those announced was a rumored Chick-fil-A. The development is going to include apartments in the back and commercial in the front-- just like the Knooce's Place development in North Columbus.

How many residential units in this again? It's a real shame the developer isn't including any live/work units. They have a real opportunity to do some ground-up loft-style living unis. Koonce's place does include live/work units.

Koonce Place Architects: HighGrove Partners, Austell, Ga. (site plan); Historical Concepts, Peachtree City, Ga. (residential design). Completion: 2011. Brief: Includes 700 homes and 44 multifamily residences. Image below:

tmp2A20.tmp_tcm20-127767.jpg

Rezoning info from the Columbus Planning Office:

REZN 5-10-4247: A request to rezone 280.4 acres located at Veterans Parkway and Williams

Road. The current zoning is Single Family Residential 1, General Commercial and Planned Unit

Development. The proposed zoning is Planned Mixed Unit Development. The property will be

used for commercial, live/work and retail. Genevieve Green of the Woodruff Company is the

applicant. Council District 2 - Glenn Davis.

Edited by aboutmetro

How many residential units in this again? It's a real shame the developer isn't including any live/work units. They have a real opportunity to do some ground-up loft-style living unis. Koonce's place does include live/work units.

Koonce Place Architects: HighGrove Partners, Austell, Ga. (site plan); Historical Concepts, Peachtree City, Ga. (residential design). Completion: 2011. Brief: Includes 700 homes and 44 multifamily residences. Image below:

tmp2A20.tmp_tcm20-127767.jpg

Rezoning info from the Columbus Planning Office:

REZN 5-10-4247: A request to rezone 280.4 acres located at Veterans Parkway and Williams

Road. The current zoning is Single Family Residential 1, General Commercial and Planned Unit

Development. The proposed zoning is Planned Mixed Unit Development. The property will be

used for commercial, live/work and retail. Genevieve Green of the Woodruff Company is the

applicant. Council District 2 - Glenn Davis.

Koonce Place is an opportunity for Columbus to really step it up. Having done development in Atlanta, this is something I have wished for Columbus for years. I hope this comes to reality!

Koonce Place is an opportunity to take development in Columbus to the next level. Having done development in Atlanta, I have always wished for something like this in Columbus. Let's hope it comes to reality.

Ditto. These kinds of developments seem so successful everywhere I've seen them. I can't imagine they wouldn't be successful in Columbus.