Columbus Projects & Developments

ATLman1

That's been in the news and newspaper for quite some time... If you go to Cross Country Plaza you will see the on-going construction taking place and a sign with an illustration of the new Publix. It is beautiful.

I know they're building a Publix but I haven't seen anything indicating that it would be two stories?? http://www.glenwoodco.com/pdf/properties/cross_country_front.pdf

I know they're building a Publix but I haven't seen anything indicating that it would be two stories?? http://www.glenwoodc...untry_front.pdf

Yeah... I'm going to just go on ahead and say that that is highly unlikely. Imagine having to go upstairs to look for milk and eggs and downstairs if you want bread, rice, and cereal? That isn't a very reasonable layout for a grocery store - no matter how large it is.

If indeed it is two stories... then that second floor would probably house operations offices for all five Publix in Columbus. That's the only reason I can see them having two floors. Other than that, at it's height in the diagrams, we can assume it has fairly high ceilings for lighting and signage just like every other modern grocery store.

Yeah... I'm going to just go on ahead and say that that is highly unlikely. Imagine having to go upstairs to look for milk and eggs and downstairs if you want bread, rice, and cereal? That isn't a very reasonable layout for a grocery store - no matter how large it is.

If indeed it is two stories... then that second floor would probably house operations offices for all five Publix in Columbus. That's the only reason I can see them having two floors. Other than that, at it's height in the diagrams, we can assume it has fairly high ceilings for lighting and signage just like every other modern grocery store.

I agree. It is doubtful that the second floor will be dedicated to groceries because if you look at the picture of the Publix, the second floor has no windows meaning either it is not two stories after all or the second floor is dedicated to office space etc.

The following article ran on WTVM on March 25th. Towards the end of the article you will see where they say that it will be a 2 story publix store

COLUMBUS, GA (WTVM) - Books-A-Million is closing its doors on April 15th in Cross Country Plaza off Macon Road.

Glenwood Development Co. Principal Leo Wiener says the store's lease was up and the decision to part ways was mutual. "There was not a meeting of the minds between the two."

Wiener wouldn't disclose specifics about negotiations, but says they had some concern over the long term viability of a bookstore. "We need tenants who are going to be there long term," Weiner said.

He added that Publix has signed a lease agreement of more than 20 years. Wiener also cited a slump in sales since the entry of Barnes and Nobles to the market, as well as national troubles in general for bookstores as some of the reasons for the departure.

We contacted Books-A-Million corporate headquarters and are waiting for a response. According to the company's website, Books-A-Million operates more than 200 stores in 23 states, and is the third largest book retailer in the nation.

The Birmingham, AL based company says it operates retail stores based on three formats: Books-A-Million Superstores (which are around 20,000 square feet); Bookland; and Joe Muggs Newsstands Books-A-Million also operates wholesale distribution.

Weiner noted the Cross Country location is around 20,000 square feet.

Meanwhile, Weiner says Glenwood Development will announce later today who will go in the Books-A-Million space. He wouldn't provide the retailer's name, but says it will be new to the Columbus market. He added the store sells furniture and electronics. "We're really confident in how this project will turn out," Weiner said.

Glenwood is already in the process of a re-development at Cross Country. The demolition phase is complete and Weiner says construction for the new, two-story Publix should begin in the next two weeks.

The facelift for the remainder of the shopping plaza will occur later.

Weiner says they are still on target for a completion date of late fall of 2011.

Once Publix moves, the old Publix will likely be divided to accommodate two retailers.

Weiner says they're in talks with multiple companies, but no decisions have been made. They hope to have those retailers in place by January 2012.

I don't know how they will play it with 2 floors, but I have seen a 2 story Walmart store before not in this region of the country though.

The following article ran on WTVM on March 25th. Towards the end of the article you will see where they say that it will be a 2 story publix store

I don't know how they will play it with 2 floors, but I have seen a 2 story Walmart store before not in this region of the country though.

There is a 2-story Target in Buckhead.

But see that's just the thing. Walmart and Target sell a wide variety of things. 1 floor would be dedicated to non-grocery items, and the other would accommodate all grocery items. Which still make them single floor grocery stores. It's just not reasonable (or marketable) to facilitate a two or three story grocery store or a section that spans between two floors. It would be hell having to go up and down floors making sure I covered everything on my grocery list. All the while my milk is "sweating", frozen dinners are thawing, yogurt turning to cheese.

Edited by xikartu

But see that's just the thing. Walmart and Target sell a wide variety of things. 1 floor would be dedicated to non-grocery items, and the other would accommodate all grocery items. Which still make them single floor grocery stores. It's just not reasonable (or marketable) to facilitate a two or three story grocery store or a section that spans between two floors. It would be hell having to go up and down floors making sure I covered everything on my grocery list. All the while my milk is "sweating", frozen dinners are thawing, yogurt turning to cheese.

I emailed Leo Weiner of Glenwood Properties, company who owns the Cross Country Plaza, and he emailed back a few hrs later stating the new Publix will be only one story. Hope this doesnt burst anyones bubble.

• Like 1

Does yogurt really turn into cheese?

LOL! XD Not that I know of... I was just being facetious. But at least you got my point, right? lol

after doing a little research...

Nope. Even milk doesn't. At least not on its own. There is a process that requires milk to be warmed with a bacteria culture and then whey and curds are separated from it... it's a lot more to it- this is just the beginning. But cheese-making is so ancient and dates back farther than written history- which goes to show that you don't need technology to make it.

Edited by xikartu

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They put that building up fast! Any word on anything else coming to that area?

Not sure of specific stores but an opening from bidclerk.com states a site in Midland Ga is expected to begin construction Sept 2011. The only mixed use developement like this I know of is near Beaver Creek where the new Chik Fil A is going. Exciting News.

• 1 month later...

I've heard alot of rumors lately that would blow the pants of some of you guys... all I can say right now is, if they are true, this is going to put Midland on the map as far as Columbus retail and restaurants go-- more retail than restaurants. I'm going to try and confirm before sharing.

I've heard alot of rumors lately that would blow the pants of some of you guys... all I can say right now is, if they are true, this is going to put Midland on the map as far as Columbus retail and restaurants go-- more retail than restaurants. I'm going to try and confirm before sharing.

Share as soon as you can!

O yea do share as soon as you can!

Looks like some of these plans might fall through but I'm hearing conflicting stories. Involves the old Swift Spinning Mills, For Sale signs have come down...

Also, I'm hearing two people have signed on for Lakeside Village (where Chick-fil-A is in Midland), for a strip center to the right. Both are food and we currently have them at Columbus Park -- my guess would be Subway and something else like Smoothie King, Jasons Deli, Moes, something like that... we'll see.

Looks like some of these plans might fall through but I'm hearing conflicting stories. Involves the old Swift Spinning Mills, For Sale signs have come down...

Also, I'm hearing two people have signed on for Lakeside Village (where Chick-fil-A is in Midland), for a strip center to the right. Both are food and we currently have them at Columbus Park -- my guess would be Subway and something else like Smoothie King, Jasons Deli, Moes, something like that... we'll see.

What were the plans you heard for the Swift site?

Yea I to have heard rumors about the land near chik fila I have heard that arbys and dunkin donuts have been seeking a site in that area. On a seperate note ihop is adding another location ons gateway drive in front of walmart

I can announce a 1 new development for Columbus... North Columbus will be getting a Dollar Tree located next to Fresh Market at Bradley Park Drive, leaving around 4,000sqft left for development.

Front picture located here: http://grab.by/alGe

Blackmon Corners is coming long too on the corner of Warm Springs Road and Blackmon Road, U SAVE IT pharmacy is coming and it also looks like some type of cleaners as well as a childcare center, nothing exciting.

http://usaveitpharmacy.com/locations.aspx

I can announce a 1 new development for Columbus... North Columbus will be getting a Dollar Tree located next to Fresh Market at Bradley Park Drive, leaving around 4,000sqft left for development.

Blackmon Corners is coming long too on the corner of Warm Springs Road and Blackmon Road, U SAVE IT pharmacy is coming and it also looks like some type of cleaners as well as a childcare center, nothing exciting.

http://usaveitpharma.../locations.aspx

Can't say what the Swift site might be? Haha.

• 2 weeks later...

http://usaveitpharma.../locations.aspx

Any word on what's going to locate at Lakeside Village in Midland?

No update on Lakeside Village in Midland.

New hotel coming to North Columbus. As if Bradley Park needed one more hotel, they're building a Home 2 Suites next to Columbus Coffee Company and Rivertown Ford on a small pad behind the retention pond. Bidding has stated now with construction starting soon after.

http://grabby.tinygrab.com/arXW

New hotel coming to North Columbus. As if Bradley Park needed one more hotel, they're building a Home 2 Suites next to Columbus Coffee Company and Rivertown Ford on a small pad behind the retention pond. Bidding has stated now with construction starting soon after.

Edited by amyers

http://grabby.tinygrab.com/arXW

Any word on that proposed hotel next to the Hampton Inn at North Lake?