Columbus Projects & Developments

ATLman1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Columbus Park is expanding by 500,000 sq. ft. of new retail/restaurant space. Any rumors of what might be coming outside of what the paper mentioned?

Knew it was only a matter of time before they developed this and after reading the article I can make a few educated guesses at what will be coming. Of course Gander Mountain will open and will be the first in Georgia. I know this development was originally meant to include many higher end stores that Montgomery now has at The Shoppes at Eastchase. Montgomery's size is very similar to Columbus so Columbus has a good shot at landing these.

1. Gander Mountain 2. Costco 3. Chipotle Mexican Grill 4. DSW 5. Banana Republic 6. Williams Sonoma or Pottery Barn 7. Ann Taylor 8. Ted's Montana Grill 9. White House/Black Market 10. HomeGoods 11. Which Wich

Things I would like to see but highly doubt will land here.

1. Belk 2. Cheesecake Factory 3. P.F. Chang's 4. Macaroni Grill 5. California Pizza Kitchen 6. Caribou Coffee 7. J. Jill 8. J. Crew 9. Restoration Hardware 10. Sephora 11. Orvis 12. Trade Joes

According to Adams Brokerage Co. it will be the end of the year before any tenants are named.

Edited by danielrhodes

Any of these would be welcome. What we don't really need is more middle of the road or low end chain stores/restaurants. Would be nice if they make it a little more charming than another stucco strip mall. The fact that Bonefish Grille and Zoe's Kitchen are doing well should encourage potential retailers that this market can support a bit higher end store. Maybe Adams should do some focus group testing!

Knew it was only a matter of time before they developed this and after reading the article I can make a few educated guesses at what will be coming. Of course Gander Mountain will open and will be the first in Georgia. I know this development was originally meant to include many higher end stores that Montgomery now has at The Shoppes at Eastchase. Montgomery's size is very similar to Columbus so Columbus has a good shot at landing these.

1. Gander Mountain 2. Costco 3. Chipotle Mexican Grill 4. DSW 5. Banana Republic 6. Williams Sonoma or Pottery Barn 7. Ann Taylor 8. Ted's Montana Grill 9. White House/Black Market 10. HomeGoods 11. Which Wich

1. Belk 2. Cheesecake Factory 3. P.F. Chang's 4. Macaroni Grill 5. California Pizza Kitchen 6. Caribou Coffee 7. J. Jill 8. J. Crew 9. Restoration Hardware 10. Sephora 11. Orvis 12. Trade Joes

According to Adams Brokerage Co. it will be the end of the year before any tenants are named.

I definitely think Columbus can support all of the above. Cheesecake Factory might be a bit much, but Columbus is an out-to-eat city so I am sure one would probably do well. Everything else would do just fine here. I would like to see Costco go out at the Midland Swift site. Perfect location for that store. Orvis is a great store but might be a little much for here right now. I have been to the one in Buckhead numerous times. P.F Chang's, CPK, Belk, J. Crew, Banana Republic, and Trader Joes are a must IMO.

Found this map drawn up by the Jordan Company. Appears that it was recently done because I notice a proposed hotel near the intersection of Whittelsey and Moon Road that is not there now. The map also shows the 70 acres the Adams family is planning to develop.

http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/0/6/6/066A10F2-9E67-4D8E-8798-C3255DDA71C2.pdf

Being a native of Columbus and currently living in Savannah, I can attest that Savannah has surprised me so much in terms of what it already has. About 90 percent of what you just listed is already here. But I believe the number one reason why Savannah has much more in terms of shopping and restaurant options is because unlike Columbus, Savannah is completely isolated on the coast. Charleston, Jacksonville, Macon, Augusta... are all over 2 and a half hours away. Even Hilton Head is an hour drive. Columbus, however, is within short distance of Atlanta and Montgomery. Which explains the size of its mall, airport, and the lack of entertainment, restaurant, and shopping options. If ever one were to desire entertainment, it could be readily accessible in Montgomery and Atlanta. Both are roughly an hour and a half away. Savannahians, however, must be responsible for providing everything that they lack access to, which explains the presence of two malls, strip malls that span almost the entire length of Abercorn Extension (south of DeRenne), and hundreds of stores and restaurants in the Landmark Historic District.

I can only speculate as to why Columbus has not landed these establishments yet... Augusta even has an Apple Store! So a lot of this progress is not entirely progress, its catch up.

Being a native of Columbus and currently living in Savannah, I can attest that Savannah has surprised me so much in terms of what it already has. About 90 percent of what you just listed is already here. But I believe the number one reason why Savannah has much more in terms of shopping and restaurant options is because unlike Columbus, Savannah is completely isolated on the coast. Charleston, Jacksonville, Macon, Augusta... are all over 2 and a half hours away. Even Hilton Head is an hour drive. Columbus, however, is within short distance of Atlanta and Montgomery. Which explains the size of its mall, airport, and the lack of entertainment, restaurant, and shopping options. If ever one were to desire entertainment, it could be readily accessible in Montgomery and Atlanta. Both are roughly an hour and a half away. Savannahians, however, must be responsible for providing everything that they lack access to, which explains the presence of two malls, strip malls that span almost the entire length of Abercorn Extension (south of DeRenne), and hundreds of stores and restaurants in the Landmark Historic District.

I can only speculate as to why Columbus has not landed these establishments yet... Augusta even has an Apple Store! So a lot of this progress is not entirely progress, its catch up.

I would say that the entertainment options in Montgomery are no more than Columbus. Both cities are identical in size. I have never thought of going to Montgomery for anything. If Columbus doesn't have it I go to Atlanta. Columbus seems to be playing a little catch up, but then again Columbus has things that Augusta and Montgomery don't have or are just now getting. It is all relative in my opinion.

Edited by Columbus1984
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Family Dollar is planning to open in the old CVS space on Warms Springs Road-- it's going to be a very big Family Dollar.

I'm hoping and praying that someone comes to the Piggly Wiggly space on Milgen Rd, with K Mart and CVS gone soon... it's not looking good for that shopping center.