Columbus Projects & Developments

ATLman1

Looks like after only a year or two of being here that Starbucks is adding its second location in Columbus on Manchester Expressway in the St. Francis shopping center on the corner next to the gym. This looks to be in the shopping center and not an free-standing building. They are adding a nice little "tower-like" thing on the corner there if you've been by there in the past few days.

Another thing is that the newest drive-in in Columbus doesn't look like it has made it, Jerry's Curb Service looks to of closed. As of 10:15 last night when I drove by there, there was a white piece of paper on the drive-thru menu that said "Closed." I don't mind this, because honestly I had never eaten there. The problem this makes is a really ugly empty drive-in. Hopefully they can get someone like Sonic in there to take over, Ben Carter Properties, the parent company to Columbus Park Crossing seems to do a great job of not keeping the shops empty for too long.

Looks like after only a year or two of being here that Starbucks is adding its second location in Columbus on Manchester Expressway in the St. Francis shopping center on the corner next to the gym. This looks to be in the shopping center and not an free-standing building. They are adding a nice little "tower-like" thing on the corner there if you've been by there in the past few days.

Another thing is that the newest drive-in in Columbus doesn't look like it has made it, Jerry's Curb Service looks to of closed. As of 10:15 last night when I drove by there, there was a white piece of paper on the drive-thru menu that said "Closed." I don't mind this, because honestly I had never eaten there. The problem this makes is a really ugly empty drive-in. Hopefully they can get someone like Sonic in there to take over, Ben Carter Properties, the parent company to Columbus Park Crossing seems to do a great job of not keeping the shops empty for too long.

It will be nice for another starbucks finally and i believe sonic would be great there I work in that side of town and i do love sonic, but having to drive to Milgen Road or Manchester expressway for sonic really bites. Also note that huddle house is moving back into the Columbus Market they are building a resturant in south Columbus next to the newly opened value place hotel(motel) it will be nice to have a 24 hour breakfast like eatery close to the downtown broadway party district. It was really bad having to drive to 280 in phenix city for something to eat after leaving the bars or Macon Road for the closet waffle house.

Edited by mitchella81

Yea, that Jerry's Curb Service place was doomed from the beginning. That is definitely not the best use for that site. I think it would be best if Carmike Cinemas bought the property and paved it over because their parking is slammed on the weekends. That location will be bought up fast I am sure.

It will be nice for another starbucks finally and i believe sonic would be great there I work in that side of town and i do love sonic, but having to drive to Milgen Road or Manchester expressway for sonic really bites. Also note that huddle house is moving back into the Columbus Market they are building a resturant in south Columbus next to the newly opened value place hotel(motel) it will be nice to have a 24 hour breakfast like eatery close to the downtown broadway party district. It was really bad having to drive to 280 in phenix city for something to eat after leaving the bars or Macon Road for the closet waffle house.

There is another Starbucks going in on Fort Benning I believe.

Yea, that Jerry's Curb Service place was doomed from the beginning. That is definitely not the best use for that site. I think it would be best if Carmike Cinemas bought the property and paved it over because their parking is slammed on the weekends. That location will be bought up fast I am sure.

There is another Starbucks going in on Fort Benning I believe.

Three starbucks in the metro thats great I was recently in a city about the size of Columbus and they started with 1 starbucks then a year later 6 opened. I can strongly see one going up downtown near broadway as well as when the condo construction is complete one in the downtown phenix city area. I've also found out that we are getting a new resturant I've never ate there but Indigo Joes which is a sports pub and resturant is coming into the city I'm not sure of the location yet, but I would think it would problay be the Landings or Columbus Park Crossing if you look on there website http://www.indigojoes.com under locations you will see opening soon Columbus, GA. This will only be the fourth location in Georgia 2 are located in the north Atlanta suburbs as well as one in Augusta. I'm curious though has anyone heard whats going on with the bonefish grill in CPC? I don't even see where room remains to build it except down near the BMW dealership or the Big 10 tires.

Three starbucks in the metro thats great I was recently in a city about the size of Columbus and they started with 1 starbucks then a year later 6 opened. I can strongly see one going up downtown near broadway as well as when the condo construction is complete one in the downtown phenix city area. I've also found out that we are getting a new resturant I've never ate there but Indigo Joes which is a sports pub and resturant is coming into the city I'm not sure of the location yet, but I would think it would problay be the Landings or Columbus Park Crossing if you look on there website http://www.indigojoes.com under locations you will see opening soon Columbus, GA. This will only be the fourth location in Georgia 2 are located in the north Atlanta suburbs as well as one in Augusta. I'm curious though has anyone heard whats going on with the bonefish grill in CPC? I don't even see where room remains to build it except down near the BMW dealership or the Big 10 tires.

On Manchester Expressway, across from Best Buy where the 4th Quarter was, it was rezoned to an Atlanta address a few weeks ago and issued an achohol licence, maybe this is where Indigo Joes is going. Thoughts?

Good news, Bad news

Today's AJC lists Muscogee as # 10 on the list of counties that are creating the most "concrete, asphalt and roofs." Growth is good, but the growth is coming at the expense of a loss of 2 acres of green space per day. I really wish that we could have growth without such a great loss of green space. At this rate, the whole county is going to look like Columbus Park X-ing in a few years! Yikes! Sprawl, ya'll and it ain't pretty. Somehow I cannot imagine Garrison Keiller singing the praises of an area covered with the likes of Coulmbus Park (what a misnomer) X-ing.

Chatham (#7, 3 acres per day) is the only other non-metro Atlanta county on the list.

On Manchester Expressway, across from Best Buy where the 4th Quarter was, it was rezoned to an Atlanta address a few weeks ago and issued an achohol licence, maybe this is where Indigo Joes is going. Thoughts?

The guy at Indigo Joes said he doesn't know where it's going to be located yet.

Three starbucks in the metro thats great

Don't know if I'd say more Starbucks is a great thing. And PLEASE.. PLEASE don't put one downtown. DT already has an awesome coffee shop on Broadway with a great atmosphere that supports local artists and musicians. I'd hate to see some corporate coffee place come DT and run out Fountain City Coffee.

It will be nice to have a 24 hour breakfast like eatery close to the downtown broadway party district. It was really bad having to drive to 280 in phenix city for something to eat after leaving the bars or Macon Road for the closet waffle house.

Hey we have Otto with the Hot Dog stand at City Market or Imbis with their Gyros right DT.. no need to drive. :D

I'm curious - has anyone heard anything about the former Parisian location in Peachtree Mall? (I was kind of shocked that Belk passed on the opportunity.)

I think I heard that an existing store -- Dillards? -- had optioned it. But why and for what I havent a clue. Agree about Belks -- but suspect that that decision was made on demographics. As population moves north, Belks -- if interested in the market at all -- may be considering another location. Which means that P'tree may be doomed to sufferer the same fate as Columbus Sq?

I think I heard that an existing store -- Dillards? -- had optioned it. But why and for what I havent a clue. Agree about Belks -- but suspect that that decision was made on demographics. As population moves north, Belks -- if interested in the market at all -- may be considering another location. Which means that P'tree may be doomed to sufferer the same fate as Columbus Sq?

Peachtree Mall is managed by a great company, General Growth Properties, that has brought great names that Columbus did not have before than came along. I don't see any reason for doom in the future for Peachtree Mall. Anywho, Dillards did buy the Parisian location earlier this year.

They talked about turning it in to the Dillards Home store or just the Men's Department or something. Belk sold another store to Dillards in Mongomery I think and they turned it in the the Dillards Home store, we'll see what happens!

Peachtree Mall is managed by a great company, General Growth Properties, that has brought great names that Columbus did not have before than came along. I don't see any reason for doom in the future for Peachtree Mall. Anywho, Dillards did buy the Parisian location earlier this year.

They talked about turning it in to the Dillards Home store or just the Men's Department or something. Belk sold another store to Dillards in Mongomery I think and they turned it in the the Dillards Home store, we'll see what happens!

If demographics change and the center of middle-class population shifts north from current mid-town, then Veterans Pkwy becomes the new Macon Rd dividing a less affluent southside from a more affluent northside. In that unhappy event nothing -- not even a great management company -- can save P'tree Mall fro the fate of Columbus SQ. Retail will generally always move with the population. Lets all hope that that doesnt happen! With redevelopment of the Victory Drive/S Lumpkin area, there is every reason to believe that it wont, and that that area of town will regentrify in the future and Macon Rd wont be a dividing line any longer.

Not familiar with Dillards Home Store -- like the old Richs Store For Homes? Furntiture, accessories and the like?

If demographics change and the center of middle-class population shifts north from current mid-town, then Veterans Pkwy becomes the new Macon Rd dividing a less affluent southside from a more affluent northside. In that unhappy event nothing -- not even a great management company -- can save P'tree Mall fro the fate of Columbus SQ. Retail will generally always move with the population. Lets all hope that that doesnt happen! With redevelopment of the Victory Drive/S Lumpkin area, there is every reason to believe that it wont, and that that area of town will regentrify in the future and Macon Rd wont be a dividing line any longer.

Not familiar with Dillards Home Store -- like the old Richs Store For Homes? Furntiture, accessories and the like?

Yeah, I guess. Like in Atlanta at Perimeter Mall they have a Macy's, Macy's Mens, Macy's Home, Macy's Auto Center all in different building because the mall once had Richs and Macy's and bought up the two stores.

Yeah, I guess. Like in Atlanta at Perimeter Mall they have a Macy's, Macy's Mens, Macy's Home, Macy's Auto Center all in different building because the mall once had Richs and Macy's and bought up the two stores.

Anyone know when it is supposed to open?

• 3 weeks later...

I am starting to hear vague rumors about upcoming anoouncement(s) regarding KIA supplier(s). However, cannot get any specifics as to who, what, when or where. Only to be optimistic about some "big" news at sometime "soon." Anyone have any better info than I seem to be able to unearth? Would hope that it is a major employer in new Muscogee Tech Park but would be almost equally happy if was in A/O or the new industrial park in N. Harris.

Source is pretty good -- same one that put me onto Kia well before that announcement and when West point was not even on the radar. Lets keep fingers X'd that this rumor also pans out and let me know when anyone hears anything more definite.

$10 million upgrade

Columbus dealer to build 66,000-square-foot Toyota supercenter

Ledger-Enquirer:

It has been 10 years since Jay Stelzenmuller ponied up $12 million to construct his Jay Auto Mall in north Columbus.

But sizzling sales at his flagship Toyota dealership and growth expected in the Columbus metro area over the next few years are forcing him to make yet another large investment.

Starting in a month, Stelzenmuller's Jay Auto Group will begin a $10 million-plus project that will turn his existing Toyota showroom into a full-fledged supercenter and upgrade several other dealerships.

"The only things that will be torn down in this process will be the Toyota building and the Mazda-Mitsubishi building, which breaks my heart because I only built them in '97," he said. "They're not exactly old."

Jay Auto Mall opened in 1998 off Whittlesey Road in the Bradley Park Drive area. Comprised of 200,000-square-feet of showroom and service space on 30 acres, it clustered American and Japanese dealerships in one location, creating a one-stop shopping center for sedans, sports cars, vans and trucks.

There are eight brands on the site. They include Buick, GMC, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Pontiac, Saturn, Scion and Toyota. There also is a large used-car lot, as well as service and collision repair departments. The company also operates a Suzuki dealership downtown on Veterans parkway.

The project calls for shuffling Jay's brands around as construction unfolds over a period of six to eight months.

Buick is being relocated to the Pontiac-GMC dealership, which itself will be renovated and expanded from 28,000 square feet to about 33,000 square feet.

Mazda will be shifted permanently to the former Buick building, while Mitsubishi -- which now shares Mazda's digs -- moves either to the Suzuki lot downtown or to a former car lot Stelzenmuller owns on Box Road. He hasn't decided yet.

Toyota, meanwhile, will be relocating temporarily into the former Mazda-Mitsubishi structure while its old 25,000-square-foot building is demolished.

Pampering customers

In its place will rise a glitzy 66,000-square-foot showroom facing Whittlesey Road. Inside, obviously, will be more space to display new vehicles and customer application rooms. But there also will be 41 service bays -- up from the current 17 -- and other creature comforts aimed at pampering customers.

"Some of them have caf

City selects firm to build skate park

California Skateparks to work with city, skaters on design

On Tuesday, Columbus Council approved the selection of California Skateparks Inc., of Upland, Calif., to design and build a 33,000-square-foot skate park in the South Commons area. The park will cost between $500,000 - $700,000.

I have heard that Will Barnes of Barnes & Company Architects is developing plans for redevelopment/conversopn of the old Bibb Mill on First. To be called RiverMill. It has over 1,000,000 sq feet (yes, that is million, withan "m") and I think that it was either the largest or second largest textile mill in the world when it was built in the early 1900's.

I have not heard of specifics -- I assume that it will involve combination of retail/residential/recreation. The RiverMill Events Center is already open (was the old antique mall that closed about a year ago). I do know that the location is one of the most beautiful on the river. A mile or two upriver from DT and is the put-in site for the proposed white water course. Perfect for a small hotel catering to white water enthusiasts and bar/cafe overlooking river. If anyone has heard details pass them along. As far as I know it is still a work-in-progress without any specifics or proposed date for start of construction. But certainly exciting possibility and worth keeping eyes and ears open for.

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard that Will Barnes of Barnes & Company Architects is developing plans for redevelopment/conversopn of the old Bibb Mill on First. To be called RiverMill. It has over 1,000,000 sq feet (yes, that is million, withan "m") and I think that it was either the largest or second largest textile mill in the world when it was built in the early 1900's.

I have not heard of specifics -- I assume that it will involve combination of retail/residential/recreation. The RiverMill Events Center is already open (was the old antique mall that closed about a year ago). I do know that the location is one of the most beautiful on the river. A mile or two upriver from DT and is the put-in site for the proposed white water course. Perfect for a small hotel catering to white water enthusiasts and bar/cafe overlooking river. If anyone has heard details pass them along. As far as I know it is still a work-in-progress without any specifics or proposed date for start of construction. But certainly exciting possibility and worth keeping eyes and ears open for.

I'm not sure what they're doing with this but Buck Investment Company owns this building, they bought it back in 1999 after the mill closed in 1998. See quote..

....former Bibb Manufacturing Company in the heart of historic Bibb City. Established in 1900, the mill was closed to manufacturing in 1998, and purchased in 1999 by the Buck Investment Company, which, after a series of renovations, created the spectacular RiverMill Event Centre, site of the evening

Thanx for info -- and pix. Never seen a bird's eye view. It is very impressive. Easy to understand how this one has potential to be a real showstopper if done right. And as I said the view of the river is awesome. Just standing on back deck of the event center is a sight. Can imagine what the view must be from teh upper floors of the old mill building. Can see (and I am just surmising here) Lake Oliver and marina to the north and DT to the south. Am anxiously awaiting newsabouth this one -- so keep us all informed.