Columbus Projects & Developments

ATLman1

Work Begins on 6th Ave Swift Mill:

This is totally new to me! This sounds really interesting!

The walls of the historic Swift Mill in Columbus are tumbling down. Construction crews are tearing down the 1970's addition to the mill on 6th Avenue. The 750,000 square foot facility was sold in January to an Albany, GA company. The company plans to redevelop the mill with business condos and rental space.

Edited by ATLman1

Work Begins on 6th Ave Swift Mill:

This is totally new to me! This sounds really interesting!

The walls of the historic Swift Mill in Columbus are tumbling down. Construction crews are tearing down the 1970's addition to the mill on 6th Avenue. The 750,000 square foot facility was sold in January to an Albany, GA company. The company plans to redevelop the mill with business condos and rental space.

News to me as well. But very welcome. Aesthetically, the mill is not as impressive as Eagle & Phenix or Bibb or Johnston. And its location -- blocks from river -- is not as dramatic. But that is probably why the plans are for commercial -- rather than residential -- development. Being in the railyard area, it may help jumpstart the development of a new business zone. I believe that the TAD vote will be this fall and that that area is one that on the short list should TAD's be approved by the voters. Personally I think that that railyard area would be a perfect location for a "new" downtown with more modern buildings and maybe even some highrises -- preserving the more historic buildings in "traditional" downtown from demolition.

Speaking of mills, does anyone know what is going on with the old Jordan Mill on 12th Ave.? It was set to be converted to apartments/condos before it burned about a year ago. I was by there recently and it seems that it is being leveled. Sad, as was a really nice old building. Wonder whether leveling is for imminent development or simply clearing for possible future construction.

News to me as well. But very welcome. Aesthetically, the mill is not as impressive as Eagle & Phenix or Bibb or Johnston. And its location -- blocks from river -- is not as dramatic. But that is probably why the plans are for commercial -- rather than residential -- development. Being in the railyard area, it may help jumpstart the development of a new business zone. I believe that the TAD vote will be this fall and that that area is one that on the short list should TAD's be approved by the voters. Personally I think that that railyard area would be a perfect location for a "new" downtown with more modern buildings and maybe even some highrises -- preserving the more historic buildings in "traditional" downtown from demolition.

Speaking of mills, does anyone know what is going on with the old Jordan Mill on 12th Ave.? It was set to be converted to apartments/condos before it burned about a year ago. I was by there recently and it seems that it is being leveled. Sad, as was a really nice old building. Wonder whether leveling is for imminent development or simply clearing for possible future construction.

It is in the process of being torn down. The bricks are being sold off. There are several developers looking at the site, but I haven't heard anything about what possibly might be built. I am just glad they are started to clear the site. I imagine it will be some type of residential or medical use due to its location to the medical district.

New Development Set for Midtown Columbus

There's good news on the development front in Midtown Columbus. Midtown Incorporated, a community renewal organization, has pinpointed several areas for high impact revitalization.

New development projects are being planned up and down Wynnton Road and along 13th Street. And an eyesore along Macon Road will also be transformed into a mini-shopping center.

A new CVS and two side stores are planned at the intersection of Macon Road and Auburn Avenue. A sign has been up in that area for months promoting a future coffee shop. Java Joes, was supposed to open in February. Now it may be built next to the CVS. Six intersections along Wynnton Road, including the one at Peacock Avenue, will also be redone.

Midtown Inc. Executive Director Teresa Tomlinson says the intersection will have brick stamped crosswalks, sidewalks, a tree planting strip, black aluminum traffic light poles. Utilities will also be placed underground.

Those changes are expected to be complete this year. Another shopping strip that's improving its look, Lewis Jones on 13th Street. For months they've been renovating their parking lot. Property owners say they're installing a new storm water system and adding green space. They hope to have those improvements finished in a couple months.

This is a super cool site about Midtown Columbus! There is so much development planned!

Midtown Columbus Redevelopment

Edited by ATLman1

New Development Set for Midtown Columbus

There's good news on the development front in Midtown Columbus. Midtown Incorporated, a community renewal organization, has pinpointed several areas for high impact revitalization.

New development projects are being planned up and down Wynnton Road and along 13th Street. And an eyesore along Macon Road will also be transformed into a mini-shopping center.

A new CVS and two side stores are planned at the intersection of Macon Road and Auburn Avenue. A sign has been up in that area for months promoting a future coffee shop. Java Joes, was supposed to open in February. Now it may be built next to the CVS. Six intersections along Wynnton Road, including the one at Peacock Avenue, will also be redone.

Midtown Inc. Executive Director Teresa Tomlinson says the intersection will have brick stamped crosswalks, sidewalks, a tree planting strip, black aluminum traffic light poles. Utilities will also be placed underground.

Those changes are expected to be complete this year. Another shopping strip that's improving its look, Lewis Jones on 13th Street. For months they've been renovating their parking lot. Property owners say they're installing a new storm water system and adding green space. They hope to have those improvements finished in a couple months.

This is a super cool site about Midtown Columbus! There is so much development planned!

Midtown Columbus Redevelopment

As a (weekend) resident of Midtown (my house is 2 blocks from Lewis Jones) I welcome the developments -- tho I am PO'd that they cut the trees on 13th in from of LJ! Glad to see that they plan greenspace -- but why cut down trees and replace with "greenspace"? At any rate, walking to Loco's and other shops in the neighborhood is a WHOLE lot better than driving to CPXing! I am really looking forward to getting down permanently and being a part of the (hopefully) Midtown Revival.

New Apartment Complex Set for East Columbus:

Mulberry Capital Advisors received approval for rezoning 23.6 acres on Macon Road for a 256-unit complex called Meadowbrook Farm. The company is investing more than $20 million in the project.

Precision Components International will create 150 new jobs over next three to five years:

Precision Components International is prepared to make a major economic development announcement this morning.

The company, which manufactures compressor foils for military and commercial aircraft engines, golf club faces and replacement joints for the human body, among other things, is expected to announce an expansion that will create up to 150 new jobs over the next three to five years. Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue is scheduled to be in Columbus for the announcement at the plant on U.S. Highway 80 in the Muscogee County panhandle. Currently, PCI employs about 400 people.

Development Authority said the company was looking at a $20 million expansion that will include a new building on the 340-acre Pratt & Whitney Columbus campus.

Edited by ATLman1

Precision Components International will create 150 new jobs over next three to five years:

Precision Components International is prepared to make a major economic development announcement this morning.

The company, which manufactures compressor foils for military and commercial aircraft engines, golf club faces and replacement joints for the human body, among other things, is expected to announce an expansion that will create up to 150 new jobs over the next three to five years. Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue is scheduled to be in Columbus for the announcement at the plant on U.S. Highway 80 in the Muscogee County panhandle. Currently, PCI employs about 400 people.

Development Authority said the company was looking at a $20 million expansion that will include a new building on the 340-acre Pratt & Whitney Columbus campus.

This is certainly great news. Also interesting that the official press release notes that PCI owns 100 acres which it envisions as a "cluster location" capable of housing at least 12 OTHER defense-related companies. Hopefully this is the first of many new facilities (and jobs) at the PCI site.

While 100 new jobs is great news, I am still waiting for the mega-announcement. The 500-1000 new job deal, preferably in hi tech with high-pay -- like the companies that have been flocking to Huntsville and Research Triangle. We really need that to start the economic ball rolling.

Where is Midtown Columbus? Im assuming it is a older, hipper neighborhood somewhere close to Downtown?

Midtown separates South Columbus from North Columbus. It is the Macon Road/Wynnton Road corridor. AFLAC's HQ is located here. It is an area that sits on a large hill overlooking downtown Columbus. It is an older area of Columbus that was considered the first suburb back in the 1800's. There are many beautiful Victorian mansions located along Hilton Avenue. It is undergoing some major redevelopment right now. Here is a really cool website talking about the redevelopment of the area! Check this out Midtown Columbus

schoolParksMap.jpg

HistoricDistMap.jpg

MidTown-Maps2.jpg

Edited by ATLman1

Where is Midtown Columbus? Im assuming it is a older, hipper neighborhood somewhere close to Downtown?

Certainly older (next to historic District DT). Not sure whether hipper. Comparable to Virginia/Highlands in Atlanta insofar as residential is concerned. Houses mostly from 20-30's with a few very modern in the mix as well as huge ante-bellum mansions (St Elmo, Dinglewood, etc). Some commercial (AFLAC). Struggling retail. Parks (Weracoba/Lakebottom) and new public library. Columbus High. Columbus Museum (set for possible expansion). Regentrifying as older residents pass on and younger folks move in to rehab. Case-in-point, 3-story art deco building immediately behind my house -- vacant for 10 years -- now being renovated into upscale apartments/condos.

For those who like living in a mature (in several senses of the word) quaint southern neighborhood, a wonderful place. A bit of the roll of the dice due to transitional nature, but hopefully on way back to the position of "suburb" of choice that it occupied more than 50 years ago.

New development news:

1) Muscogee County School District plans to apply for $201 million in federal funds to build 10 new schools to accomodate Fort Benning's growth. This will inlclude 6 elementary schools, 3 middle schools, and 1 high school. This is in addition too 2 new elementary schools and 1 middle school already proposed to handle Columbus's population explosion.

2) Roswell-based Concordia Properties LLC received approval for a commercial development at the end of Columbus Park Crossing area. It will include a strip center and two outparcels. A bank is expected to be built on one outparcel but no name has been given. On the west end, a hotel will be built but no name has been given.

3) A 322-single family homes has been approved in south Columbus. This will include 129 condos and townhomes.

After approval, this entire project is being marketed on Loopnet. I really hope it doesn't wither on the vine if the one who rezoned it apparently isn't going to be the one to develop it... It would be wonderful for the entire area and go along way toward revitalizing this part of town. Loopnet listing

F285AA93-05C4-4CC4-B48E-7578D847DF51_or.gif

There have been rumblings about east Columbus retail development. I thougth Jacoby out of Atlanta (Atlantic Station) was going to do something with their land off of Flat Rock Road, but so far nothing. I've heard Home Depot and Target were interested in the old Boland/Swift Plant at the eastern end of the JR Allen Bypass. But alas, it's on the auction block 8/22/07 ... Loopnet listing

There have been rumblings about east Columbus retail development. I thougth Jacoby out of Atlanta (Atlantic Station) was going to do something with their land off of Flat Rock Road, but so far nothing. I've heard Home Depot and Target were interested in the old Boland/Swift Plant at the eastern end of the JR Allen Bypass. But alas, it's on the auction block 8/22/07 ... Loopnet listing

This is amazing stuff! Welcome the Columbus Forum Aboutmetro! Keep on posting!

Thanks.

One more tidbit I found. This is a pic of a graphic that was part of some presentation. The gist of it is the kind-of 'hot' areas of future development as it relates to commute times to new jobs coming to the Columbus area. The hottest areas being where those areas overlap. It's not clear, though, how much of the residential development will get scewed around Harris County since they have the 2-acre minimum. Probably much of the workforce housing will go west into Alabama. Too bad that Benning Bypass couldn't be in before BRAC comes.

cbn_coalMarket.jpg

I read that Rob Doll Nissan has purchased land to build a new dealership in North Columbus. I wonder if this will be an Infiniti dealer or just a new Nissan location. Has anyone heard anything about the retai center at the intersection of Whittlesey and Moon Rd? They bagan clearing land a few months ago and now nothing seems to be happening.

I read that Rob Doll Nissan has purchased land to build a new dealership in North Columbus. I wonder if this will be an Infiniti dealer or just a new Nissan location. Has anyone heard anything about the retai center at the intersection of Whittlesey and Moon Rd? They bagan clearing land a few months ago and now nothing seems to be happening.

Infiniti would be great! Nissan needs to move to North Columbus! Any word on where Rob Doll is looking? There is some land being graded across from Carl Gregory, but I haven't heard what it will be though.

I noticed too that they had starting grading the site, but stopped a few weeks ago. I assume it will still be developed, but I have no clue why they stopped. It is an easy piece of land to develop on.

EDIT: I have relocated some posts here, so hopefully we will now have some consitency in location for Colubus projects and developments. :) -Spartan

Here is a rundown of some of the projects under construction or soon to be in the Columbus area.

1) AmeriSuites Hotel (5 floors with around 80 rooms)

2) Spring Harbor at Green Island (massive retirement community to open this

month http://www.springharborccrc.org/)

3) Restaurants (another Red Lobster, TGI Friday's, 6 FireHouse Subs, Starbucks,

Locos Deli and Pub, Back Yard Burger's, Johnny Carino's, etc.

4) 2 Wal-mart Supercenters (yuck, how many do we need!)

5) Amos Cancer Center (downtown at 5 or 6 floors)

6) BMW and Acura of Columbus moving to a new facility in North Columbus

7) Gold's Gym (another one)

8) North Highland Church is building a 2,600 seat auditorium

9) National Infantry Museum on Fort Benning (expected to attract 300,000 people

(per year.)

10) Housing market is booming. Population growth over the next 2-3 years is expected to be around 25,000 new residents because of Fort Bennings expansion.

11) Multiple strip centers popping up on every corner

12) new Columbus library (retail, residential space is to surround the new building)

13) Riverwalk extension through a condo development in the old Eagle and Phenix

mill downtown.

14) Columbus State University's $40 million dollar downtown campus addition with

two 5 story dorm buildings and a 500+ 5 story parking deck. Also, another

parking deck is being built on main campus. Soccer complex is now finished.

15) $1 billion+ in new construction on Fort Benning

16) Brookstone School is undergoing a multi-million dollar expansion (looks like

a college campus!)

17) Two new elementary schools and a new middle are soon to be under

construction.

These are just a few of the new things that I know of under construction around the city. I am sure there are more and if I find out I will be glad to share with you guys.

SoHoJan2006MedSize.JPG (Soho Square, Homewood (B'ham), AL)

I haven't kept up with all of the back and forth in Columbus regarding what should go around the new Library. But on a recent visit the B'ham, we visited friends at the new Soho Square in Homewood. Developed by Cypress Partners, FLats On the Market I wonder if a development like it wouldn't be ideal for the Library property. If developed along with greenspace, it really could be a crown jewel for Columbus. What Columbus doesn't need in this area is another unused passive park. However an intensively managed greenspace commonly used by the Library patrons, retail customers and loft residents might be quite a thing to behold.

Thanks.

One more tidbit I found. This is a pic of a graphic that was part of some presentation. The gist of it is the kind-of 'hot' areas of future development as it relates to commute times to new jobs coming to the Columbus area. The hottest areas being where those areas overlap. It's not clear, though, how much of the residential development will get scewed around Harris County since they have the 2-acre minimum. Probably much of the workforce housing will go west into Alabama. Too bad that Benning Bypass couldn't be in before BRAC comes.

cbn_coalMarket.jpg

Does the future development vary in any way? Because it looks like most of those cities in the green just may get suppliers from Kia, especially if people from Randolph and Tallapoosa counties have to travel 40 or 50 miles for this.

Does the future development vary in any way? Because it looks like most of those cities in the green just may get suppliers from Kia, especially if people from Randolph and Tallapoosa counties have to travel 40 or 50 miles for this.

It's not areas that will expect new commercial development, if that's what you're saying. The way it was explained, these area are ones that can expect, or maybe have potential for (residential) growth based on a 30-minute commute to one of four primary major new jobs locations - east Columbus (AFLAC), West Point (Kia), DT Columbus, Ft Benning, and Opelika Auburn. Which the O-A has pretty much played out with the Hyundai suppliers. One plant, the brakes plant I think, is doubling in size from what I hear to handle Kia too.

Unit development project goes to Council:

If approved, strip near Veterans will house retail, office

From the Ledger-Enquirer

If a rezoning request makes it through Columbus Council, a 19-acre strip along Veterans Parkway north of Williams Road will become a shopping and office development.

The Columbus Planning Advisory Commission on Wednesday unanimously recommended approval to council of Woodruff Brokerage Company's request to rezone the acreage at 8301 Veterans Parkway from single-family residential use to general commercial. The case now heads to council on a yet-to-be-determined date for a final decision.

The Woodruff Companies is working on behalf of businessman Calvin Koonce, who is purchasing the land contingent upon its successful rezoning. The property adjoins 235 acres upon which Koonce is planning to construct a "planned unit development" -- a mix of residential, retail and office space that is designed as a small community.

The project is adjacent to Northside High School, and the new middle and elementary schools.

"A lot of tenants want a Veterans Parkway address because it's easy to find and it's also at the front door of these schools," said Lucy Jones, executive vice president with Columbus-based Woodruff Brokerage.

"We're not going to generate any additional traffic," she said. "We're just going to give them a reason to stop -- for example, if someone needs to get something to eat, or they need to go to the drug store and get their prescription filled, or take their kids to the orthodontist."

The property is definitely big enough for a grocery store or other big-box tenant such as Home Depot, Jones said, although the company has yet to approach prospects until the land purchase closes.

There is no timeline for construction to start on the planned unit development, she said, which will need a load of rock removed. For instance, the 19 acres of commercial in the rezoning case would require rock removal at a price tag of about $800,000.

"That will be up to the owner," Jones said of construction starting. "The Woodruff Companies doesn't own the property. We're developing it for the owner. So the owner will really drive that, but we're encouraging him that the time's right to get started now."

A group of investors, including Rep Vance Smith, purchased the Harmony Place for re-development. Woodruff (recently did a great job rehabing The Landings and St Francis) will be involved. They have an opportunity to something creative and unique with that project. Let's home they do. For example, if feasible, pylons added in the old Mansours location could allow a for a low-rise hotel or even condos. In other towns, condos over dining, etc with concierge services (like dry cleaning, room service, etc) similar to hotels are very successful.

A group of investors, including Rep Vance Smith, purchased the Harmony Place for re-development. Woodruff (recently did a great job rehabing The Landings and St Francis) will be involved. They have an opportunity to something creative and unique with that project. Let's home they do. For example, if feasible, pylons added in the old Mansours location could allow a for a low-rise hotel or even condos. In other towns, condos over dining, etc with concierge services (like dry cleaning, room service, etc) similar to hotels are very successful.

It will be interesting to see what they do with this. I know Kip Smith, one of the family members in the deal. I also know the owner of the landscaping company who is working with them. This has potential to turn into something really nice!