Six Flags to close AstroWorld

Dukeis#1

KHOU.com/ Six Flags AstroWorld will close after 2005

Very sad and shocking news to say the least.

I hope Houston's tourism isn't effected by the closure of the park. Nashville took a big hit after Opryland closed.

AstroWorld opened in 1968 and was one of the first modern theme parks in the country following Disneyland and Six Flags Over Texas.

:(

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amusement parks aren't the attraction they used to be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, actually attendance numbers have been up somewhat over the last few years, but there was a great slip in the late 1990s that bottomed out in 2001 and 2002.

Six Flags Inc. is in bad shape due to its large debt, but other park companies, such as Cedar Fair and Paramount, are doing pretty well.

I wish Six Flags would try to sell AstroWorld to another park company instead of demolishing it for housing.

http://www.saveastroworld.com/

If I had to bet, I would say Six Flags in New Orleans will be a goner as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont doubt that.

Six Flags New Orleans is located in the very swampy area of New Orleans East. There was severe flood and wind damage over there.....

• 1 month later...

Six Flags Over Texas in Arlington will be adding 10 new rides with some likely coming from AstroWorld.

When Six Flags announced last month that it was closing its AstroWorld park in Houston, it said it would distribute the park's 45 rides and attractions to the company's 29 other parks.

"A number of those [new Arlington]rides may be rides that are being relocated from other parks, particularly Houston's AstroWorld," said Gary Slade, publisher of Amusement Today.

More details on the new rides will be announced on November 10. A rollercoaster from AstroWorld will also go to Fiesta Texas in San Antonio.

Fort Worth Star-Telegram: Six Flags adding 10 new rides

I have been watching this thread with interest. I have a good friend that is a member of the American Coaster Enthusiast club and we go to different parks from time to time. It seems six flags is in bad financial shape and from the experiance we had in St.Louis I would agree. The park was in bad shape as to painting, groundskeeping, trash pick up , etc. Its was on a Saturday and attendance was low. You could tell there were trying to cut expenses here and there. Its been a long time since I was in Houston but hate to see this park close.

Six flags will put money into the money makers and let the rest go I am afraid. Yes, Opryland closing here took a big bite out of the tourism market and Gaylord looking in hindsite at closing the theme park said it was a mistake. There is a mall in its place now. There is talk of another park coming here, but I dont think there is a company that will commit the money and the ones that have made a proposal wanted almost 200 million from the city. Needless to say, that went nowhere.

With the final weekend of Six Flags AstroWorld's operation approaching, I thought I would point out some nice articles and tributes to the park:

Houston Chronicle's AstroWorld tribute:

]http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/spe...orld/index.html

There is also an Astroworld memories article:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3407345

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The "Serial Thriller" ride is rumored to be going to Six Flags Great Escape near Albany, NY.

The Albany Times Union newspaper reported last week that roller coaster aficionados online and in town are buzzing with rumors that the $10 million ride is already being set up at Six Flags' Great Escape & Splashwater Kingdom near Albany.

Houston Buisness Journal: N.Y. theme park could be next stop for AstroWorld's Serial Thriller ride

• 4 months later...

Sad, I never thought AstroWorld was the greatest (being raised on the legendary Kennywood and Hershey Park and going to DisneyWorld, Universal and Seaworld tons during HS and college) but for that region of the country I thought it really captured the whole Texas theme and Houston in general. I could just imagine how many memories and fun times are dying with it :(.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

^I was in Houston over the 4th of July, Six Flags was completely gone by then, nothing but a giant field, quite weird considering what used to be there. Not sure how long it took them to tear it down and clear the site. Anyway, I asked some friends what was going on, they said a shopping center and related devs., though I have not verified that.

Since this topic begs the question, I'll ask. Why? The place had to have been earning money, was always packed, the answer I heard was the land was too valuable. That argument makes sense on paper until you realize that the area has more than adequate retail, restaurants, neighborhoods, etc., but more importantly, huge open areas of undeveloped fields south of 610 all around there behind the access road devs., and down 288 a mile and a half down the road. Yes, I guess it is bound to fill in at some point, hopefully the mixed use development that goes there will interact with the terminus of the light rail line adjacent to the parcel.

Archived