Six Flags to close AstroWorld

Dukeis#1

^I was in Houston over the 4th of July, Six Flags was completely gone by then, nothing but a giant field, quite weird considering what used to be there. Not sure how long it took them to tear it down and clear the site. Anyway, I asked some friends what was going on, they said a shopping center and related devs., though I have not verified that.

That would have to be SO weird to see an empty field where an enormous amusement park recently stood. Amazing.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Are there no plans to build a new theme park in Houston??

I'm not sure that's even done anymore. How do you start a theme park from scratch? Other than Disney parks in Paris & Hong Kong, no other new parks come to mind... except for Visionland in Birmingham, Alabama, an apparently poorly-managed civic project that ultimately was sold for pennies on the dollar to a bonafide operator, who changed the name and is working on adding attractions.

Galveston would be a good place for a theme park...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The group that bought AstroWorld is asking the city to make the 104 acre development a special tax district. That would help pay for things like infrastructure, parking facilities, landscaping, and security. The developers are also looking at the possibility of rerouting a light rail line through the site.

The investment group is planning a mixed-use transit-oriented development for the former theme park land. It would include high-density residential units, offices, shops and a hotel.

The management district would sell bonds to build the facilities, as well as collect taxes, user fees, parking revenues and potentially levy special assessments on property owners to pay for the bonds.

Archived