Downtown restaurant idea

blueman459

I'm new to the Urban Planet community but would like to say how cool this board is. I've lived in the G.R area all my life and work downtown. I just love that people are taking pride in G.R. and the downtown area. My question is, do you guys and gals feel that the D-town area could support a diner that would serve breakfast. I dont believe there's any restaurants downtown that cater to the breakfast crowd other than maybe a couple bagel or coffee shops. I'm thinking of a fulll service sit down diner that serves a full menu of breakfast items. With the new hotel development(Marriot) and all the new condo's developments coming downtown I believe there will be a need for this.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm new to the Urban Planet community but would like to say how cool this board is.  I've lived in the G.R area all my life and work downtown.  I just love that people are taking pride in G.R. and the downtown area.  My question is, do you guys and gals feel that the D-town area could support a diner that would serve breakfast.  I dont believe there's any restaurants downtown that cater to the breakfast crowd other than maybe a couple bagel or coffee shops.  I'm thinking of a fulll service sit down diner that serves a full menu of breakfast items.  With the new hotel development(Marriot) and all the new condo's developments coming downtown I believe there will be a need for this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A resteraunt like the Clock that recently burned down would be awsome!

Any type of diner downtown that serves breakfeast or burgers 24 hours a day would be my new home.

the clock, bad bad scary! no clock downtown. There are a few breakfast restaurants close to downtown, Big Boy being one of them, I'd like to see a cool breakfast place down there. But when I think greasy spoon, I think scary bums that talk to the guy next to them that isn't there.

Sundance Grill on Pearl and Ottawa has GREAT Breakfast! That is pretty much all they cater to. Breakfast and lunch. Many times I go there on Saturdays or Sundays to get a Sundance Scramble and Sundance Spuds.

Another alternative would be great.

I would love a 24 hour place to go to after hanging out late nights.

blueman, yes, yes, yes there is a market for a breakfast place downtown! As long as:

you're open on Saturdays AND Sundays, and

you don't stop serving at 11:00 a.m. or some ridiculously early hour.

Some of us are just rolling out at that hour, and need breakfast, STAT. Many of us are quite firmly non-church-goers who aren't up early!

Go for it, blueman. And have some current magazines/newspapers and comfy seating in your waiting area, because your downtown breakfast spot is going to be BUSY.

I always thought buying a REAL Diner (ala Rosie's or Pal's) and restoring it downtown would be great. I think the perfect spot for it would be the little surface lot that pops out from the Ellis Parking Ramp on Lyon and Pearl. 1) It would add to the character of downtown, 2) The building would be relatively cheap (diners are pretty easy to find and move) 3) It would be wildly popular.

Somebody steal my idea, please. :)

Joe

Dayton, OH Has one of those restored diners downtown.  I think it was out of business though.

Benthams has breakfast at the Grand Plaza.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well the idea I have in mind is like the Cambridge House that is off of Michigan Ave in downtown Chicago. It's awesome..It's a true greasy spoon delight. The place is a hole in the wall but my wife and I never miss an opportunity to eat there. Actually the place is loved by celebrities too.

Well the idea I have in mind is like the Cambridge House that is off of Michigan Ave in downtown Chicago.  It's awesome..It's a true greasy spoon delight.  The place is a hole in the wall but my wife and I never miss an opportunity to eat there.  Actually the place is loved by celebrities too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Having been to the Cambridge House once myself (quite a few years ago), isn't the Red Geranium Cafe on Michigan pretty similar? I know it's not right downtown, but pretty close.

I always thought buying a REAL Diner (ala Rosie's or Pal's) and restoring it downtown would be great. I think the perfect spot for it would be the little surface lot that pops out from the Ellis Parking Ramp on Lyon and Pearl. 1) It would add to the character of downtown, 2) The building would be relatively cheap (diners are pretty easy to find and move) 3) It would be wildly popular.

Somebody steal my idea, please. :)

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This would be a really really, really, really neat idea...

Did I already say it was a neat idea?

(can you tell I REALLY like it?)

There are a number of good breakfast places on the way in from the east side--Bagel Beanery on Michigan and College has several excellent breakfast bagel sandwiches, either drivethu or sit in... The cofee shop near the farmer's market on fulton also now has very good breakfast sandwiches... The fall back on the way in if you're coming in from the east side is of course McD's on pill hill, lol...

:)

This would be a really really, really, really  neat idea...

Did I already say it was a neat idea?

(can you tell I REALLY like it?)

There are a number of good breakfast places on the way in from the east side--Bagel Beanery on Michigan and College has several excellent breakfast bagel sandwiches, either drivethu or sit in... The cofee shop near the farmer's market on fulton also now has very good breakfast sandwiches...  The fall back on the way in if you're coming in from the east side is of course  McD's on pill hill, lol...

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We have 3 of The Original Pancake House (not IHOP-yuck) locations in Metro Detroit and one up north. Love It, Love It. Since I am moving to downtown GR next year I would love to see that. I bet that if they ever did do GR they would pick the suburbs.

pill hill

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl:

I like that, sounds perfect for Michigan Street Hill :D as for a greasy spoon, there was a place in Coopersville (Go Broncos!) that had some teriffic food, but was sold and turned into a parking lot for an auto auction :( If someone ever resurrected that downtown, youd have people lining up on the streets for sure.

It isn't downtown, but Real Food Cafe in Alger Heights has some of the best breakfasts and lunch in town. Holy crap... you definately have to check that place out. Even better that it is a locally owned restuarant. Its on the west side of Eastern, south of Alger. You won't be disappointed and be ready to wait- they are always pretty busy!

Archived