Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jerald

Griswold Updates?

16 posts in this topic

I am starting this thread so we have a spot to post any info on the Griswold blocks.

I am personally wondering about the blocks between Clifford and Michigan. It seems like this is one of the few areas of downtown that some people consider shady, but it also sounds like there is going to be alot of good things in store for these few blocks. Here are a few things that I have heard/noticed. Does anyone else know any info?

I noticed cement workers a few weeks ago. They were redoing the sidewalk on the west side of Griswold between clifford and grand river.

I was told that the empty retail space under the griswold parking garage is going to be converted into a restaurant/bar (NW corner of griswold and grand river)

I was also told that The Grind strip club will be remodeled soon with facade improvements. It will be converted into a 1920's topless club. The Grind is flanked by parking lots on both sides. Does anyone know if there is any plans to develop on either of these lots?

I noticed that the building on the SW corner of Grand River and Griswold looks to be freshly painted. It also looks like they are prepping to put in new windows in this building.

Does anyone have anything to add? Anything that I missed?

J

Hmmm...let's see here...

That parking garage where the Griswold Hotel used to be is indeed being prepped for a restaurant on the ground floor. It has been under construction for a while.

JC Beal is supposedly doing the Capitol Square Building (SW corner on Griswold & Gd River). I was told there is to be a restaurant on the ground floor and lofts above. They started late last year, and then work ground to a halt.

This is not be be confused with the Capitol Park Building (1145 Griswold @ Gd River), which is ripe for loft conversion. It is currently lofts, but the space is pretty crude...I'm told the building does not even have hot water.

The Grind...where do I even begin? That place was going to expand years ago, but due to protests nothing ever happened. I haven't heard of any new plans other than the plans you mentioned.

The old Christian Science Reading Room (SE corner of Griswold & Gd River) is being converted into lofts. I noticed them working relatively recently.

The David Stott is gradually being renovated as funds permit. There are before and after photos of the renovation in the lobby. Most of the tenants are on 16-32.

The Farwell Building, while not technically on Griswold, is another good candidate for loft converstion. Look for that in about 10 years....after the Broderick is done.

Do you have a photo of the Capitol Square Building? Is that the strange blue building, or am I thinking of a totally different part of downtown?

Allan,

There are 2 other buildings on Griswold that looked like they had rennovations start, but never finished. One of the buildings had "Zemco Tiles" on it, do you know what's holding up the rennovation of these?

It's to good see Capitol Park making some progress. Things would move hell of a lot faster when they once they build the transit center to Times Sq. Not many people want walk lunch choking down bus fumes. Once that's done the homeless population should follow and development in the area will really take off.

Mojo look a little closer the "Zemco" building is posted in the thread.

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is

"the transit center to Times Sq"?

Just not familiar with that project.

It's to good see Capitol Park making some progress. Things would move hell of a lot faster when they once they build the transit center to Times Sq.  Not many people want walk lunch choking down bus fumes.  Once that's done the homeless population should follow and development in the area will really take off.

Mojo look a little closer  the "Zemco" building is posted in the thread.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My bad, I was thinking of another building on Griswold (Don't know the name) that recently had a facade improvement probably last summer. They started to put in new windows, and then it seems like the work stopped.

There is a building like that on the NE corner of state and griswold, I am wondering if that is the building you are talking about. The facade of the building and the windows look new. There is currently a bus station in front of it. That area desperatly needs to be cleaned up, I am hoping that the completion of the CVS (just down the block) will help spruce up that block a little.

Speaking of the CVS, does anyone have any idea when that will be completed?

My bad, I was thinking of another building on Griswold (Don't know the name) that recently had a facade improvement probably last summer.  They started to put in new windows, and then it seems like the work stopped.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you're thinking of the old Christian Science Reading Room on the SE corner of Griswold & Grand River. They were working on it just last week. Progress stopped for several months...I don't know why.

Jerald,

The building on the NE corner of Griswold & State (1212 Griswold) is the old Detroit Savings Bank. Today it is known as the United Way Building. It is the oldest standing skyscraper in Detroit, and was once the city's tallest building, though for only one year (it was passed by the Majestic Building). The building has been substantially altered over the years. In the 1920s Albert Kahn did some alterations, and then in the 1980s the light court was glassed in to create an atrium.

Thanks. It's really quite hard to stay on top of everything. Fortunately I have a knack for remembering the little details about buildings...it's something that I've almost been forced to do as an architecture student.

Let's see here...here's all the building in Capitol Park and any known plans....

44 Michigan - Bank

100 Michigan - Gravel Parking Lot - City owned, plans unknown

1133 Griswold - Vacant Building, future plans unknown

1134 Griswold - Former Rite Aid, Future Plans Unknown

1145 Griswold - Capitol Park Building - Lofts w/retail, future upgrades?

119 State - Vacant, Lofts under construction

1150 Griswold - David Stott Building - Offices, being renovated floor by floor

1201 Griswold - Ted's Diner - Vacant or u/c?

1211 Griswold - Vacant? - Future plans unknown

1212 Griswold - United Way Foundation Bldg - Offices

1214 Griswold - Griswold Building - Senior Apartments

1215 Griswold - Lofts

1227 Griswold - Parking Lot

1249 Griswold - Farwell Building - Future Loft Conversion

1250 Griswold - Detroit Pizza Factory - Apartments Above

1254 Griswold - Parking lot

1260 Griswold - Parking lot

1265 Griswold - Capitol Square/Zemco Bldg - Lofts under construction

37 W Grand River - Former Christian Science Reading Room - Lofts under construction

28 W Grand River - Vacant Lot, future plans: The Grind expansion?

1405 Griswold - Parking Garage, restaurant under construction

1416 Griswold - The Grind

1428 Griswold - Parking lot, future plans unknown

1437 Griswold - Downtown Speakeasy

1439 Griswold - Downtown Speakeasy

1445 Griswold - Downtown Synagogue

30 Clifford - Vacant, for sale

Just as an update/follow up to this thread.

There have been construction crews at the vacant lot next to the grind for the past two days. From what I can gather, it looks like they are putting in a sidewalk, but I am not too sure. They have had that lot blocked off though for a while now (almost a week). Anyone have any ideas?

Also, I have noticed increased activity in the empty lot on Madison accross from the DAC (I think it used to be the location of the Madison-Lennox). Anyone know what is going on there? It looked pretty busy this morning in that lot.

It's my understanding that the lot south of the Grind is for sale, and will most likely be the site of a new parking structure.

The Ilitches have gone ahead to pave the M-L lot, even though they have not yet received the proper permits.

It's my understanding that the lot south of the Grind is for sale, and will most likely be the site of a new parking structure.

The Ilitches have gone ahead to pave the M-L lot, even though they have not yet received the proper permits.

Dang, I would love to see a good size building go up on were the M-L was. That is a decent sized footprint. Hopefully someone buys the lot next to the grind and puts something there. I thing that, in combination with the 1403 renovation could really help that intersection.

I feel the same way about the new parking garage for the 1001 building. Opening that up could be the start of something good for that stretch of state between Woodward and Griswold.