Height limits lifted in Pembroke/Cityview area!

vdogg

I stumbled upon a virtual gold mine here. The full minutes of a planning commission

meeting on august 10, 2005. It starts on page 61 and goes to page 63 in this .pdf document. They are also considering lifting or at the very least raising the height restrictions in the cityview area some time this month, and it appears they may be doing so to accomodate that project (current limit is 200 :) ). To give you a feel for how major this is here's a quote.

"It simply pertains to the maximum hieght requirements in the B-3A, which is our major central business district. It's the core area. Accordingly, I think it's an area the we would expect to have significant high-rise buildings and we feel that the height requirement in that area is probably not needed. We are trying to get a lot taller buildings in that area. And accordingly, our suggestion would be to remove the height restriction in that district.

^^^A lot more is said but that's all I feel like typing so look at the file, you'll like what you see. Oh, btw. The motion passed by 10-0. :D

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great news! Funny you said that as I was waiting for the CityView developer to get back to me with the current zoning laws in that area but now you post this.. how timely!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, it makes sense now because cityview actually submitted their plans last year so I didn't know why they were doing it again. Now i see they didn't get the height that they wanted and now that the planning commission is looking at this they are resubmitting their plans (with likely a few changes).

The current limit is 200ft?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. In the B3A district (the TC area which includes the Westin and TC it was 400ft but has now been completely lifted to accomodate the Westin and future structures. In the B4C district,City View area, It is currently 200ft. They are thinking about either raising that or lifting it altogether.

Is 200 the height of Columbus One?

Also, is there any word of the city addressing fire safety concerns in the CBD?  With the raising of max heights and the increasing density, are there any plans to expand Thalia FS or build another FS?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure about columbus but I do know that council addressed the fire safety issue at their last vote on the Westin, they have decided to increase the amount of fire personnel and I think there was talk of adding a small station to the area.

about time to here the city say they will put a small fire station over there. My question for you guys, did this whole lifting the height restrictions make the news? If not, then this is just another typical VB tactic by saying one thing to the public and doing another. (granted I am not complaining about this one, stupid NIMBYs)

about time to here the city say they will put a small fire station over there.  My question for you guys, did this whole lifting the height restrictions make the news?  If not, then this is just another typical VB tactic by saying one thing to the public and doing another.  (granted I am not complaining about this one, stupid NIMBYs)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not at all, there was nothing in the news and this was over a month ago. I had to dig through the dusty archives of the vbgov site to find out the restrictions have been lifted. I admit their tactic may have been a little sneaky but I like the end result just the same. :lol:

Not at all, there was nothing in the news and this was over a month ago. I had to dig through the dusty archives of the vbgov site to find out the restrictions have been lifted. I admit their tactic may have been a little sneaky but I like the end result just the same.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is good and I guess they had to do that for the Westin. I wonder if Norfolk has a height restriction?

I stumbled upon a virtual gold mine here. The full minutes of a planning commission

meeting on august 10, 2005. It starts on page 61 and goes to page 63 in this .pdf document. They are also considering lifting or at the very least raising the height restrictions in the cityview area some time this month, and it appears they may be doing so to accomodate that project (current limit is 200  :) ). To give you a feel for how major this is here's a quote.

"It simply pertains to the maximum hieght requirements in the B-3A, which is our major central business district. It's the core area. Accordingly, I think it's an area the we would expect to have significant high-rise buildings and we feel that the height requirement in that area is probably not needed.  We are trying to get a lot taller buildings in that area. And accordingly, our suggestion would be to remove the height restriction in that district.

^^^A lot more is said but that's all I feel like typing so look at the file, you'll like what you see. Oh, btw. The motion passed by 10-0.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is great and all but I do have one concern. With an increase in height permits and the suggestion of density, don't you think this could take away some spotlight from TC? I like TC and for me it's something that excites me to look at going the highway and I don't want the attention to be taken away from TC. I don't know, maybe I'm afraid of new projects in Cityview and Pembroke may take away the special feeling I get of TC.

This is great and all but I do have one concern. With an increase in height permits and the suggestion of density, don't you think this could take away some spotlight from TC? I like TC and for me it's something that excites me to look at going the highway and I don't want the attention to be taken away from TC. I don't know, maybe I'm afraid of new projects in Cityview and Pembroke may take away the special feeling I get of TC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i think the future developments in pembroke won't really take away from the TC...if anything, i imagine they will be incorporated into the area and sort of radiate out of what they're doing right now. i'm pretty sure TC will continue to be the main focus of pembroke, but i wouldn't be at all surprised to see it continue to expand and cross over vabeach blvd, head west across independence blvd, and so on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That entire area is Pembroke CBD. Most of TC is accounted for. A second tower is planned on the lot at the corner of Columbus and Constitution and additional retail/office is planned on the two smaller remaining lots. All that's left are the Beacon and Taco Bell properties. To minimize developments on other properties; such as Pembroke Office Park, F/X, Town Square, and CityView; would defeat the purchase of TC. TC was promoted by the city to be the beginning--the seed--of downtown VB (or Pembroke, whatever you like to call it). If TC is the only high-rise development in Pembroke with the other ones limited to low and mid-rise structures, then TC will have failed.

OK, guys, I'm new.

Does the "height restriction" limit that is lifted apply to CityView?  I'm curious, since if the height limits are lifted, people would begin to build more stories on CityView?  :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First of all, welcome. As for the height limitation there are none now in the CBD area so now the CityView project can feel free to soar as high as they wish. :thumbsup:

First of all, welcome. As for the height limitation there are none now in the CBD area so now the CityView project can feel free to soar as high as they wish.  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's not entirely accurate. They are considering lifting them for the Cityview district and were supposed to meet sometime this month about it I believe. I have not been able to find any documents stating that the B4C restrictions have been lifted so for now I'll say it's 200ft cause thats what its always been in that location. As far as the Pembroke CBD proper which includes zones B3/B3A, all restrictions have been lifted. The sky is truly the limit in those locations. :)

Archived