Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

I am quite surprised no one mentioned this today here but for one thing the Pilot did not put the article online and it was a few pages into the Hampton Roads section and not even the front page! <_< . Anyway, here we go:

Light rail question may be resolved soon for Norfolk

The next few months are critical to Norfolk's long standing pursuit of a light rail starter line as federal officials are due to decide whether to commit to the proposal and the city is to close purchasing the rail corridor.

Four key actions are expected by the end of November that could determine once and for all whether the $203.7 million light rail project may be built. Hampton Roads transit and the city are both optimistic.

Norfolk wants to build a 7.5 mile rail line that would run from Eastern Va Medical Center through downtown to Kempsville Road. Scheduled to open in 2009, the line is projected to cary 6500 to 12000 riders a day.

The financing plans calls for the federal government to pay half the construction costs and the state and city to split the rest. Norfolk Southern says while there are a few issues to be resolved they hope to have a contract for the city to obtain the right-of-way.

Sixty percent of residents surveyed by an ODU survey said local leaders should focus on building light rail rather more roads and tunnels to solve transportation problems.

Let's cross our fingers and hope for the best.

I cant either! Im so ready for this announcement. I only wish they would get the line to go up a little furhter into ghent.  there is so many people in the ghent area that would ride, why would they stop at the medical center?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because really its to connect the medical corridors. Alot of Doctors have offices on Kempsville rd. and in Norfolk General. Also its the easiest starting point for right now. Ghent would hold more traffic up and also they are using NS rail path that is already there that runs that path. Also they are trying to connect DT with these medical facilities. :thumbsup: Also they put it where they assumed it would get the heaviest traffic so they could reapply for more federal money in the future to expand the track

Because really its to connect the medical corridors. Alot of Doctors have offices on Kempsville rd. and in Norfolk General. Also its the easiest starting point for right now. Ghent would hold more traffic up and also they are using NS rail path that is already there that runs that path. Also they are trying to connect DT with these medical facilities. :thumbsup:  Also they put it where they assumed it would get the heaviest traffic so they could reapply for more federal money in the future to expand the track

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How would ghent hold up traffic? What traffic are you talking about? They could run a few stops up hampton blvd then down colley and back down through the Hague. there would be so many people riding that to get to their jobs DT. a lot of the people who live in ghent work DT. Also, there is a large population around there. All of the ghent/colley/west ghent sections is all apartment complexes and that houses a lot young professionals who would actually ride the LR, if it were there. alot of the old people aren't gonna ride it.

They are going to have to make it easily accessable for people to ride. this Should not be only a source for commuters to ride. Thats what its starting to sound like. it need to be transportation for mornings, and nights and weekends.

To make the LR a success they need to have people riding the LR consistantly. I think that they would have many more riders if they could use that young population to ride the LR. Which means it is a success.

I would use it to get to and from DT, but now I would'nt because i'd have to walk all the way up to sentara, im already half way to DT. Why get on for a few stops.

It does'nt seem logical to stop at Norfolk General.

In all honesty, i think it should go like i stated before but also down bramblton to pick back up at 264 towards Va beach.

Because really its to connect the medical corridors. Alot of Doctors have offices on Kempsville rd. and in Norfolk General. Also its the easiest starting point for right now. Ghent would hold more traffic up and also they are using NS rail path that is already there that runs that path. Also they are trying to connect DT with these medical facilities. :thumbsup:  Also they put it where they assumed it would get the heaviest traffic so they could reapply for more federal money in the future to expand the track

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heaviest traffic? IMO, the heaviest traffic would consist of ODU's commuting students, and NOB's military/civilian personnel... if you want consistent "ridership" you'd have to consider a line going up Hampton Boulevard to connect to these 2 points. I'd ride the train everyday to work if this were to happen.

Does anybody have any knowledge or personal experience with how light rail works? According to the plans I've seen, Norfolk only has one rail track... instead of having an "East" and "West" track. Would we have to wait for the train to complete it's route before it starts heading in reverse? :wacko:

I don't know maybe I'm clueless... somebody fill me in.

Interesting, although I wouldn't want HRT involved. From what I've seen they are a very bad organization (Read the archived comments on PilotOnline's talknet under Traffic and Transportation regarding that organization!!).

I was very hopeful that AMT and ODU would get the maglev system working. It seems perfect in that it has a small footprint and should be easy to deploy. More importantly, being elevated it wouldn't tie up road based traffic.

Does anyone know the status of the ODU Maglev project? Last I heard they were trying to solve rail vibration / oscillation issues.

-- Ethan

Its just sitting at the back of the campus, has been for a while. They can't get the train to work properly!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's funny... I can look out my office window and see the students using the Maglev rail as a giant umbrella while walking to class. :rofl:

Pretty expensive, busted umbrella. :D

Does anyone know the status of the ODU Maglev project? Last I heard they were trying to solve rail vibration / oscillation issues.

-- Ethan

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is unfortunate that they couldn't choose a more reputable company for this project. Their financial woes and lack of technical ability were well known before an agreement was entered into. Maglev is a proven technology, and is already up and running in Japan and Germany. I hope they get it off the ground soon but I fear that it will be impossible with the current company in place.

Oh, and to answer your question it is indeed the vibration/oscillation issue that they are trying to overcome.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You would think with operating systems in Japan and Germany, they would serve as models to correcting the problem here in Norfolk. I remember this was being hyped as the 1st maglev in North America, and Norfolk receiving a lot of pub... now, with all the money spent, and persistent problems, they probably wish it would just go away.

I haven't given up hope yet. There was so much excitement on campus when they started construction. Eventhough it was initially developed for testing purposes, I always felt they could've done more with the exisiting route... a loop would've served campus better.

You would think with operating systems in Japan and Germany, they would serve as models to correcting the problem here in Norfolk.  I remember this was being hyped as the 1st maglev in North America, and Norfolk receiving a lot of pub... now, with all the money spent, and persistent problems, they probably wish it would just go away.

I haven't given up hope yet.  There was so much excitement on campus when they started construction.  Eventhough it was initially developed for testing purposes, I always felt they could've done more with the exisiting route... a loop would've served campus better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think they had the money for it originally and now they had to beg for the money to finish it. I agree that it would have been alot better if they had gone around the entire campus but it is what it is and might sit for another 5 years. :unsure:

Bro - I agree with what your saying, they should go all the way up Hampton and back down colley, through the Hague, and down bramblton. 

There is no way its gonna be a one rail track. There is no way their that stupid.

It better not be a one rail track. if thats what its gonna be, dont even do it. thats complete crap. It cant be, I cant think of anything dumber or more of a waste of money than a one rail track.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tell us how you really feel :lol:

A few sites to get you all started:

Baltimore Light Rail - Maryland Transit Authority

http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/lightrail/

A page with links to pictures

http://web.presby.edu/~jtbell/transit/Baltimore/LightRail/

And as always, you can never go wrong with Roads To The Future

http://www.roadstothefuture.com/Balt_Light_Rail.html

Does anyone know how many tracks are on the NS line?

In order to provide regular service there would have to be a siding (second parallel line), or at least a short siding pocket that allows a train to move over and let an opposing train pass before moving back onto the main line.

One of the commuter rail lines in New Jersey (Pascack Valley Line) operates on a single track. It's a terrible service, IMO. ALL morning trains go south toward Hoboken/New York in the morning, ALL trains move north into Bergen County and upstate NY in the evening. So if you go into work in the morning and your kid gets sick and you need to go back, you have to wait until the afternoon to get a train. Yuck!

I've been hoping Norfolk will get this light rail started for many years! It will be the area's first serious commitment to transit and offer opportunities for some transit-oriented development (TOD).