Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

If that's true, that's great news. This area is treated like a red-headed stepchild when it comes to funding for anything, especially transportation, and I'm sure being 7 independent cities had a lot to do with it. However, LRT is one of two things this area needs for regional unity. I think most of you know what I think the second thing is..........

^ Arena/Major sports

With LRT expansions to the Oceanfront and Navy Base via ODU falling in line (albeit far from a done deal), this area is going to become a lot more urban in the next couple of decades. I can definitely see some skyscrapers in DT norfolk, Town Center, and the Oceanfront and mid rise mixed use projects in other areas. 

Edited by varider

^^^ You got it! :-)

AltDaily has helped get a few things off the ground in Norfolk, and I always enjoy reading the Norfolk Live blog. With the proposed projects on the docket (Westin, Waterside 3.0, SPQ) and stuff already underway (food trucks, The Tide, Arts District), Norfolk is finally acting like a major city.

I'm very eager to see what Hampton Roads will look like in 2020.

• 2 weeks later...

Why build the transfer station blocks away from the nearest LRT station? 

Harbor park would have been perfect. It would help include that neighborhood into DT. Build some parking decks and mixed use apartments/retail/office.. Norfolk has so much potential.. i think the city likes baby steps though.

Why build the transfer station blocks away from the nearest LRT station? 

Harbor park would have been perfect. It would help include that neighborhood into DT. Build some parking decks and mixed use apartments/retail/office.. Norfolk has so much potential.. i think the city likes baby steps though.

Actually Harbor Park would not have been the best place for the transfer station.  Could you imagine dozens of buses trying to get in and out of that space and on those roads around Harbor Park?  If Water St. around Harbor Park was a little wider then I think it would work but they went with the 2nd best location that would still work given traffic constraints.  I agree with you, though, that it's too far away from LRT.

I think it depends on how you view the spq plan.  If you agree with that plan, then this isn't so bad. if you hate it like me, then this is horrible..

either way, too far from LRT.

If it were me, I would have done something with cedar grove and waited onthe funds to do it at harbor park...Even if that meant digging a road under the interstate and putting high yeild pumps in for floods....

• 3 weeks later...

What are the plans for the Greyhound bus terminal?

I am hoping that they relocate it near the Amtrak station to create a transportation hub! It would be nice to have a station that is always buzzing with people downtown. Add some retail and mixed use housing to the area to create a big city feel to the area.

Perhaps one day, we will have an arena built at Harbor Park with entertainment and activities spanning from Harbor Park all the way to Waterside!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Came back home friday via Amtrak into Norfolk station.

Impressions:

Good: Very fitting for norfolk. It isn't that huge (sorry for lack of pictures of the inside), but new of course and it doesn't have that hollow feeling (the open hallway feel). It was very comfortable, I guess if it was raining, they could get about 60 to 100 people jammed in there if they really wanted to. Its a rocks throw from LRT station (which I know everyone knows), clean, very bright with comfortable sitting with enough outlets for few people.

Bad: Currently....No wifi, no electronic ticketing, no continous roofing for outside standing, no atm, no snack/bar shop,etc...

spoke with the Top Cop security guard, he added the following: Wifi, electronic ticketing, etc... has been ordered, just not installed yet. I mention the lack of snack/bar or shop setup only because I believe in urbanizing that area for what it could be. I would like to think that the area will get more active and they would have a need for a shop of some type. I guess technically a food truck would suffice.

Train ride: Slow, but hey what can you expect. My train was delayed 3 hours from dc because of weather (it snowed like crap in bmore thursday night and along the east seaboard). Pulled into Norfolk right after midnight.  Let Sunday morning, smooth, slow ride, but wifi was consistent the entire way up and fast. Comfortable as expected, etc... I guess there isn't any real way to improve it besides make it faster. It takes about two hours to get from Norfolk to richmond with one stop in petersburg. I guess I would drop in another pick up spot like in suffolk, windsor/ivor....That just makes sense to me. They have a stop from richmond to ashland, that's a ten minute ride and stop. Same with alexanderia to DC.

Just thought I would give you my thoughts..

I guess I would drop in another pick up spot like in suffolk, windsor/ivor....That just makes sense to me. They have a stop from richmond to ashland, that's a ten minute ride and stop. Same with alexanderia to DC.

When the southside route was being planned, there were plans for a suffolk stop. I don't think they can use the existing station, which is now a railroad museum. So, i believe Suffolk has to build a new station from scratch before they get a stop.

When the southside route was being planned, there were plans for a suffolk stop. I don't think they can use the existing station, which is now a railroad museum. So, i believe Suffolk has to build a new station from scratch before they get a stop.

Yes I do remember someone mentioning or reading that.

I think it’s definitely worth while considering the construction of these stations. I mean, obviously union station is huge and complex compared to other stations. But by comparison, Norfolk station is more grandiose than any other stop, perhaps even richmond. Putting a station in Suffolk and ivor only makes sense. I’m sure a few people would consider travel if it passed by there. The fact that it stopped in Norfolk now automatically increased the frequency that I will come home this year. I hate driving, I hate traffic, so now I’m considering train-ing it out on most of my future trips. Bmore isn't far, but traffic is an absolute monster between Baltimore and Norfolk. It usually takes about 6 hours to get home anytime because its always an issue at 295 in md, i95 between dc and fredericksburg, 64 to HR. This is pretty much consistent outside of a few instances.

I just took the train from Richmond to Washington last weekend.

It was delightful! Very relaxing. It took nearly three hours (I could drive it in two) but was really pleasant. There is free wifi and electrical outlets at every seat. The cost was $33 each way which is more than I would spend on gas but less than gas plus overnight parking.

• 1 month later...

These are the preliminary routes identified so far for the naval base extension.

http://wardscornernow.com/2014/02/14/some-preliminary-light-rail-extension-routes-come-through-wards-corner/

And notice they dont go near enough to ODU......

Edit: Sorry only went off the one image, seems there are a multitude of options that do include ODU.

Edited by ronsmytheiii

Depending on what they do with Military Circle, I'd like to see 8A past the airport, as it passes that shopping area, even if it has seen better days. I also like 4a down Monticello. I think that would be perfect as it's a straight shot from downtown Norfolk.