Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

Kidda off topic, but I just rode the finished Pinner's Point project a couple weeks ago. Very nice and smooth. I wish Norfolk, Portsmouth and the state would get together, slap a dollar or two toll on the tunnels so we could get a second midtown tunnel.

Edited by VAGATOR

Kidda off topic, but I just rode the finished Pinner's Point project a couple weeks ago. Very nice and smooth. I wish Norfolk, Portsmouth and the state would get together, slap a dollar or two toll on the tunnels so we could get a second midtown tunnel.

I don't know if that will happen but I do hope they build that third crossing!

Vdot actually submitted a request for interest in public/private program to construct the second mid-town tunnel. The same process that the third crossing has already gone through. They recieved letters of interest from three companies. Vdot is reviewing these and will probably move forward with asking for more detailed proposals here shortly. The web site is here. Scroll down to the third project which is the midtown corridor project.

I see its in the 4th stage....Is that the final stage? If not how many are there?

The final stage is when the state gives vdot permission to seek an agreement with a company. All that is left is for the companies to submitt there detailed proposal by march 2006. After that they become public record and vdot looks over the proposals to choose the best option. If vdot likes the proposals and settles on a client, then they will ask for permission from the state to enter into negotiations with the client and construction will begin after the necessary legislation is in place to put tolls on both crossing. We really are close to actually seeing this thing get built. The lady I spoke with at the dot said that it is possible that we might have a record of decision by summer next year.

The final stage is when the state gives vdot permission to seek an agreement with a company. All that is left is for the companies to submitt there detailed proposal by march 2006. After that they become public record and vdot looks over the proposals to choose the best option. If vdot likes the proposals and settles on a client, then they will ask for permission from the state to enter into negotiations with the client and construction will begin after the necessary legislation is in place to put tolls on both crossing. We really are close to actually seeing this thing get built. The lady I spoke with at the dot said that it is possible that we might have a record of decision by summer next year.

Thanks dude! :thumbsup: It will be cool to see this being built! :) I will definitely have to take some shots of what i can get to add to my collection!

New Jersey has pro hockey.

Tacoma is actually a suburb of Seattle.

Tacoma is NOT a suburb of Seattle! That statement could not be more wrong! Tacoma was speculated independently by the Northern Railroad Company when chosen as the site for a Western terminus depot. In fact, it was bigger and better than Seattle through much of the early settlement history of the Puget Sound region.

Get your history right!

Tacoma is NOT a suburb of Seattle! That statement could not be more wrong! Tacoma was speculated independently by the Northern Railroad Company when chosen as the site for a Western terminus depot. In fact, it was bigger and better than Seattle through much of the early settlement history of the Puget Sound region.

Get your history right!

History has nothing to do with it. But, so I don't step on anyones toes, I will clarify the statement saying that tacoma is considered as part of the metropolitan statistical area for seattle. Much like Hampton or Newport News in the old days were there own very good sized cities and technically are not suburbs of norfolk we are still considered part of the norfolk metro.

Did anyone else notice how Tidewater Drive was "stripped" of its 168 designation on I-64? Better yet, does anyone know why this is? I don't usually drive that stretch of 64 (from Ward's Corner to VA Beach) but had to do so the other day and noticed that all the 168s are covered. The signs look a little strange now.

Did anyone else notice how Tidewater Drive was "stripped" of its 168 designation on I-64? Better yet, does anyone know why this is? I don't usually drive that stretch of 64 (from Ward's Corner to VA Beach) but had to do so the other day and noticed that all the 168s are covered. The signs look a little strange now.

No didn't notice that but I hear they have alot plans for that area of Tidewater Dr. heading to Southern Shopping center.

All of this is so promising. I hope that soon I will be able to park downtown and take a train to the oceanfront. I wish VB would jump on board!!!

I don't think Vabeach will ever jump on cause that means it would have worked on a Norfolk ideal. We will see but I don't think so with who is in city offices. Remember they don't want the Norfolk element there!

All of this is so promising. I hope that soon I will be able to park downtown and take a train to the oceanfront. I wish VB would jump on board!!!

My hunch is that they changed the current terminus from the Barry Robinson Center area to just dead ending at Newtown Road for the very reason that VA Beach now wants to get on board. It's the same reason that VA Beach abruptly dumped the BRT idea as well.

Portland Oregon's MAX LR took almost 15 years to start really going deep into the burbs of Hillsborough and Gresham. I think that if the starter line is successful and they manage to keep it clean, safe and nice it will eventually spread out there. If HRT bungles it, it will set public transport back even further in this area.