Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

I paid $12 today to park downtown today for the APA conference. If light rail was running I would only have paid $1.50 for my ticket...Do I have any other options for all day parking downtown?????

I don't know how the weather is down there, or if you like walking, but you could park in West Ghent and walk. It's pretty far from downtown, but it's free.

You are a bit more optimistic about it than i am. There is still a lot of work to be done on the downtown tracks and stations. MacArthur Center Station and Bute Street are a mess. I foresee it opening first quarter of 2011, definitely.

We rent space on Bute street near Duke and are there many nights.

Out of nowhere all the concrete was poured for the remaining curve area on Sunday. It's pretty much there. They haven't paved the street, and were finishing off some concrete this morning. Fast.

City hall ave is done as far as rails are concerned, near the MacArthur station. Not sure about Plume street, I know the rails are through much of the road.

Bute next to AT&T/Verizon/Xtuple was a bit farther behind, but I wouldn't be surprised if they put concrete in it today. The rails were there I think.

This leaves Monticello near the courthouse I think? And cross Waterside Drive.

Sometimes you can find spots in Freemason and just walk.

Most of the parking in Freemason is 2 hour limited unless you have a zone 1 permit. They actually extended the time, it used to end at 6pm but was changed to end at 8pm. IIRC it was said that employees of businesses on Granby were parking in the neighborhood and walking to work, so people in the neighborhood were complaining about lack of parking.

I hate the news... what's the point of this?

http://www.wtkr.com/news/wtkr-literail-tsr,0,4985157.story

Video on LRT crashes.

They should of followed it up with car crashes...gee, I wonder which one happens more...heck, I wonder how many LRT accidents are because of cars...I guess that would mean the train on tracks would be at fault because some idiot was breaking the law in their car.

I think this segment is not being taken the right way. The purpose of it from what I got is that there is an adjustment period for people who get light rail. I totally understand it myself. Some people probably totally forget there is light rail and drive into the path of the rail cars due to not being used to it being trains in the city. I look at it as a warning of the potential danger due t the newness of the system to come soon. I can see some folks making the mistake of driving without being aware at times.

Heck, it will take some getting used to locally as we have no subway system nor any other type of trains aside from the traditional trains we have around the metro. I say we take it as a lesson so we avoid some of the issues that face cities previous and not the negative way it may seem to be viewed. Light rail cn be apositive locally but, will take a period of adjustment! The accidents they showed seemed to be and those in them also reported they were unaware of the trains due to how quiet they are among other reasons. As a driver, I must admit it will take a while to get used to light rail and this story warns me of the new hazard we all have downtown. I took the story as a warning to be cautious myself. L.G.N.Mshades.gifshades.gif

I remember driving in Philly and there was this crazy noise and I look in my rear view mirror. I'm like, WTF IS THAT!? then I look in the side view and figure out it's some sorta trolly thing behind me, presumably po'ed that I'm in the way. Teehee.

Bute Street near Bosch is coming along FAST. It's almost all surfaced now, I'd say it's not far from done. Finishing sidewalk and what not.

Bute Street near AT&T is close as well.

City Hall near MacArthur Station is same. Finishing sidewalk replacement, and I think it's due for asphalt. Shouldn't be too long.

We are going to be surprised how many people it will take a while to get used to this light rail. I for one hope I remember it exist being I mostly drive in my car and never use public transportation. Light Rail will provide some help to local travel for those with and without a car. Those with cars will have to adjust to what we havent in most of our lifetimes. A rail train! Its going to be weird seeing the light rail go downtown and to Newtown etc., and I hope we all stay waare the dangers of not knowing the crosswalks and read the signs when doing so. Some cross ways will have signs/lights, others will have gates ! Lets just spread the word to be cautious! L.G.N.Mshades.gifshades.gif

OMG, they are moving so quick with LRT construction. Tel, you were right. IDK what's gotten into them, but they are moving fast.. They already have built the station platform's at many of the station's, including in front of the Wells Fargo Center on Monticello (steel has even been erected on the platform for the station thingy).

OMG, they are moving so quick with LRT construction. Tel, you were right. IDK what's gotten into them, but they are moving fast.. They already have built the station platform's at many of the station's, including in front of the Wells Fargo Center on Monticello (steel has even been erected on the platform for the station thingy).

The new guy at HRT is holding these people accountable and not letting them milk city funds. Its how it should have always been, this is proof how good leadership should work.

The new guy at HRT is holding these people accountable and not letting them milk city funds. Its how it should have always been, this is proof how good leadership should work.

You used the exact word I was going to use: "leadership" is what's gotten into them.

Currently riding the Acela Express train from D.C. to Boston. I can't help but be amazed at how convenient and 21st century this experience is...and yet most Americans don't even know this travel option exist in America.

I put this post under the Norfolk Light Rail forum because I can't wait for High Speed Rail to one day be connecting in with Hampton Roads at Harbor park. This mode of travel is seriously the future.

Gotta go, we're pullin into Baltimore!

Currently riding the Acela Express train from D.C. to Boston. I can't help but be amazed at how convenient and 21st century this experience is...and yet most Americans don't even know this travel option exist in America.

I put this post under the Norfolk Light Rail forum because I can't wait for High Speed Rail to one day be connecting in with Hampton Roads at Harbor park. This mode of travel is seriously the future.

Gotta go, we're pullin into Baltimore!

The Northeast corridor is Amtraks only profitable line. This is mainly due to the traffic problems on interstates, the mindset of public transportation(which is great and 1/3 of commuters ride daily) and density of the Northeast segment of the country. If Acela fixed its reliability, increased its speed and on time performance it would profit significantly more and be able to take a larger share of air travel in the northeast. Also the Acela is not allowed to go as fast as the Bullet Trains in Japan and Europe because it shares the same tracks as other Amtrak services and is hindered by curves in certain areas. Until we are able to build up to the capabilities of other high speed rails across the world then Acela will never reach its full potential.

P.S. Essentially if it was up to me Amtrak would be broken up into different sections (Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, Mountain West, Southwest, Northwest). Each section would ultimately be a different comany that is focused the needs of that segment of the country (become more profitable). This would essentially improve reliability, performance, and one day have Amtrak building its own tracks for passenger rail service and freight. This will also open up Amtrak to private investment and competing against other rail companies instead of being at the mercy of rail companies.

Build, Build, Build High Speed Rail Now!thumbsup.gif

The Northeast corridor is Amtraks only profitable line. This is mainly due to the traffic problems on interstates, the mindset of public transportation(which is great and 1/3 of commuters ride daily) and density of the Northeast segment of the country. If Acela fixed its reliability, increased its speed and on time performance it would profit significantly more and be able to take a larger share of air travel in the northeast. Also the Acela is not allowed to go as fast as the Bullet Trains in Japan and Europe because it shares the same tracks as other Amtrak services and is hindered by curves in certain areas. Until we are able to build up to the capabilities of other high speed rails across the world then Acela will never reach its full potential.

P.S. Essentially if it was up to me Amtrak would be broken up into different sections (Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, Mountain West, Southwest, Northwest). Each section would ultimately be a different comany that is focused the needs of that segment of the country (become more profitable). This would essentially improve reliability, performance, and one day have Amtrak building its own tracks for passenger rail service and freight. This will also open up Amtrak to private investment and competing against other rail companies instead of being at the mercy of rail companies.

Please correct me if I'm wrong (and back up with evidence), but no aspect of Amtrak is profitable, that's why it's run by the government, because it doesn't make enough money to be in a competitive industry among different private companies. Also, both Amtrak, but especially the Acela, usually arrive at and leave the station right on time.

I'm not anti-High Speed Rail, and I'm very much for it to come here (I drew up my own proposal of my own national HSR system when I was sitting in class one day), but like you said cal, we need the density of the northeast for any rail service to come even close to being profitable.

I actually find Acela to be pretty reliable and its on-time performance to be pretty good. I ride about once/month from NYC to Boston and rarely get delayed at all. Speed is another issue. The big challenges to getting Acela to operate at its maximum potential speed are indeed the fact that local commuter rail services (SEPTA, NJ Transit, Metro-North, MBTA, etc.) operate on sections of the line, the rail infrastructure has curves, slack catenaries in sections, and even some remaining wooden ties in parts. The infrastructure is very slowly being upgraded mile by mile to fix the catenary and ties, but some of the curve issues will be darn near impossible to resolve. I think there are two sections where Acela actually achieves 150 mph, one in Maryland, and the other in Rhode Island. Both sections are where there are no local commuter rail services. I think the max speed in most sections is between 80-100 mph.

Even though Acela isn't perfect, I still find it to be the best way to travel city-to-city in the Northeast. Unlike driving, there's no traffic to worry about, parking costs, etc. And flying from New York to Boston just doesn't make sense. It takes more time than the train.

Please correct me if I'm wrong (and back up with evidence), but no aspect of Amtrak is profitable, that's why it's run by the government, because it doesn't make enough money to be in a competitive industry among different private companies. Also, both Amtrak, but especially the Acela, usually arrive at and leave the station right on time.

Amtrak overall is not profitable, which is why it's run by the government. But Amtrak does make money on the Northeast Corridor services. And it loses a ton more in the rest of the country. That's not to say that passenger rail can't operate more efficiently elsewhere. I think there are some clusters of cities that could be served pretty well, and could be grown into sustainable services. The Great Lakes region, California, and possibly the Texas Triangle come to mind.

Amtrak overall is not profitable, which is why it's run by the government. But Amtrak does make money on the Northeast Corridor services. And it loses a ton more in the rest of the country. That's not to say that passenger rail can't operate more efficiently elsewhere. I think there are some clusters of cities that could be served pretty well, and could be grown into sustainable services. The Great Lakes region, California, and possibly the Texas Triangle come to mind.

To be more correct, Amtrak isn't profitable because the government won't let it be profitable. It requires Amtrak to maintain & run certain routes at huge losses, especially the long-distance & cross country ones.

Ok, you asked for it:

http://www.amtrak.co...074_FY09_Riders

Amtrak's Acela Express Service is in fact one of several aspects of Amtrak which are profitable, and I've backed up with evidence.

The Acela Express earned $409,251,483 from ticket sales last fiscal year.

Here's another fun report about some reasons why Acela service has been becoming more popular.

http://www.wired.com...ould-people-av/

Edited by mlsimons